Background Checks

Do you oppose background checks? What would stop crimnials from purchasing a gun in a gun shop without a background check?
False premise - that a law can stop someone from breakling the law.

The law against criminal posession of a firearm is not desunged to, not ever intended to prevent criminals from getting guns -- it is there as a means to prosecute/punish them if they do.

So why have any laws at all?

Do you oppose background checks? What would stop crimnials from purchasing a gun in a gun shop without a background check?
Im still honestly interested in an answer to this question.
You got one. They follow from the false premise that you can enact a law that will prevent people from breaking the law. As they cannot do what they are intended to do, they unnecessarily restrict the rights of the law abiding.

They are also a form of prior restraint, which in an infringement.

Last edited:
False premise - that a law can stop someone from breakling the law.

The law against criminal posession of a firearm is not desunged to, not ever intended to prevent criminals from getting guns -- it is there as a means to prosecute/punish them if they do.
So why have any laws at all?
You did not read closely enough.
The laws against criminal possession of firearms, like all criminal laws, exist as a means to prosecute/punish people who undertake an activity that society has defined as unacceptable.

Last edited:
Im still honestly interested in an answer to this question.
You got one. They follow from the false premise, that you can enact a law that will prevent people from breaking the law. As they cannot do what they are intended to do, they unnecessarily restrict the rights of the law abiding.

ther are also a form of prior restraint, which in an infringement.

You made up the false premise that laws are created to stop people from breaking them. That's not why laws are created or why they exist

In my state there is no waiting period. I want a gun, i walk into a shop fill out a form, present my DL, and they run a background check. Then I walk out with a gun.

Without the background check how would we know if the person buying the firearm was legally allowed? There are lots of products we dont allow everyone to buy, you have to present a DL to buy beer, some medications and cigarettes. I dont see the difference between that and the background check for guns.

In my state there is no waiting period. I want a gun, i walk into a shop fill out a form, present my DL, and they run a background check. Then I walk out with a gun.

Without the background check how would we know if the person buying the firearm was legally allowed? There are lots of products we dont allow everyone to buy, you have to present a DL to buy beer, some medications and cigarettes. I dont see the difference between that and the background check for guns.

so you present a DL to buy beer. you don't need a background check.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Without the background check how would we know if the person buying the firearm was legally allowed?
Please allow me to repeat myself:
You proceed from the false premise that a law can stop someone from breakling the law.

I disagree with your insistence. I find your premise silly. We card those who want to buy beer in an effort to prevent kids from purchasing beer from a licensed seller. We background check those who want to buy guns an in effort to prevent criminals from purchasing guns from a licensed seller.

Without a background check, criminals would know they could walk into any shop and freely buy a gun. Of course they would take advantage of that ability.

I disagree with your insistence. I find your premise silly. We card those who want to buy beer in an effort to prevent kids from purchasing beer from a licensed seller. We background check those who want to buy guns an in effort to prevent criminals from purchasing guns from a licensed seller.

Without a background check, criminals would know they could walk into any shop and freely buy a gun. Of course they would take advantage of that ability.

we also card people to buy a gun. we don't back ground check people to buy beer. you are talking about two different things. and it isn't a right to buy beer, its a privelege.

I disagree with your insistence. I find your premise silly.
And yet you present nothing to show it unsound.

Why don't we pass a law that will prevent murder? Because a law cannot prevent murder.
Why don't we pass a law that will prevent assault? Because a law cannot prevent assault.
Why don't we pass a law that will prevent rape? Because a law cannot prevent rape.
Why don't we pass a law that will prevent robbery? Because a law cannot prevent robbery.
Why donl't we pass a law that will prevent criminal posession of guns? Because a law cannot prevent criminal posession of guns.

What you want is no different that requiring CNN to present a story to the FCC so the FCC can determine if the story slanders someone or is an act of libel, and then allow/disallow the broadcast of the story on that basis.

We have plently of laws that restict substances and equipment that is deemed dangerous.

and we have plenty of things out there that kill far more than assault style weapons and there isn't a single piece of legislation regarding them.

I think your points are silly. I thought I already said that.

While I'm beginning to see your POV, its not something I can understand. I started a thread with a poll about it. I'm curious to see just how many people agree with you that we shouldn't make sure that the person buying a gun isn't a criminal or a crazy person.

Forum List

Back