Ask a Catholic

Do you REALLY oppose..

Birth Control
Divorce
Priest and Nuns marriage and celibacy
1. Natural birth control is not a problem.
2. Divorce isn't the issue. A second marriage is not condoned.
3. Men who are married before joining the priesthood is not an issue. Once had a priest who had five children. Eastern Orthodox are more lenient, but I am not sure of their rules.
Do you personally agree with that doctrine?
Most American Catholics don’t.
Doctrine isnt determined by vote

Do you REALLY oppose..

Birth Control
Divorce
Priest and Nuns marriage and celibacy
1. Natural birth control is not a problem.
2. Divorce isn't the issue. A second marriage is not condoned.
3. Men who are married before joining the priesthood is not an issue. Once had a priest who had five children. Eastern Orthodox are more lenient, but I am not sure of their rules.
so they claim as their reason for being a fascist ...

I do because the doctrine is the ideal. It is the perfection for which we are called to reach. It appears there are many who cannot reach the ideal. This does not mean the ideal should not exist.
Female Priests?
Why can’t they be ideal?
I would love to be able to pray for true love and perform true love rituals at a temple dedicated to a goddess of Love.

On the contrary, Catholic priests were some of our earliest scientists. The Church's focus is not on science, but on religious philosophies. Science is a welcome, but different, department. They have their own experts.

Uh, wow. You missed the point.

The Church is against science when it contradicts it's beliefs.

They called the first inoculations "the Devil's Needles".

They oppose contraception, even though contraception has alleviated poverty around the world and saved the lives of millions of woman. (And I'm just talking about contraception, not abortion, which I'm perfectly fine with as well.)

The Bible does touch on it. Jesus himself said some forego sex for the sake of the Kingdom. Paul also mentioned not marrying. However, it did not become mandatory for a few hundred years when there were conflicts over what belonged to the Church and what belonged to the family.

Right. The early church was anti-sex of any kind. Then they realized they weren't going to propogate their silly little cult like that. Kind of too bad, the world would have been so much better off.

But the whole thing about celibacy... the Church didn't make it a rule until 1000 AD because too many priests were leaving their land to their sons.

Which is fine, except, of course, that meant the only people joining the priesthood were sexually repressed homosexuals and pedophiles. You couldn't have gotten a worse result advertising for help in the NAMBLA Times.

"Help wanted. Must have no sexual interest in adult women. Will spend lots of time with kids."

I do because the doctrine is the ideal. It is the perfection for which we are called to reach. It appears there are many who cannot reach the ideal. This does not mean the ideal should not exist.
Why is having no medical means of birth control the "ideal"

Why is not allowing priests to marry the "ideal"?

Already explained. Briefly, the ideal is sex within marriage. It is not based on recreation, but on commitment. New life is a blessing not a reason to stomp it out.

Religious crazy is religious crazy.
:) That works in both directions, doesn't it Joe? Faith, done well, is a perhaps the sanest way through this life and is an assist in avoiding getting oneself into a mess of some kind. Faith is the assist in helping one to become the best version possible of oneself and in living a joyful life.

I know you were pushed into thinking differently by a thoughtless, perhaps even wicked, nun. You deserved better.

Already explained. Briefly, the ideal is sex within marriage. It is not based on recreation, but on commitment. New life is a blessing not a reason to stomp it out.
Sorry, but deciding when you want to have children is ideal
The church laying guilt on married couples who want to have sex but not get pregnant is not ideal

So, let’s take it to the next level for the Catholic Church and discuss sterilization

A couple is in their early 40s and have three children. They decide the husband should have a vasectomy because they have an “ideal” family

The Church calls them sinners

preventing pregnancy is not "stomping out new life" And what if married people choose not to have children, can they still be Catholics?

And if procreation is so important to Catholics why not allow priests to marry and make more little Catholics?

Sorry, but deciding when you want to have children is ideal
The church laying guilt on married couples who want to have sex but not get pregnant is not ideal
No need to be sorry for your opinion. The Church offers a different standard. It is not for everyone.

So, let’s take it to the next level for the Catholic Church and discuss sterilization

A couple is in their early 40s and have three children. They decide the husband should have a vasectomy because they have an “ideal” family

The Church calls them sinners
Correct. "Sin" is simply those who miss the ideal mark. Every person on God's green earth cannot hit all ideal marks. But keep in mind all those who thought that a certain number of children was their ideal...but then had another or even more. For one family I know, four was what they thought would be ideal, but then they tried eight. It convinced them that eight was their new ideal.

Forum List

Back