Ask a Catholic

Also, I wonder why birth control must be "natural." Humans are tool users, and every advancement in technology helps us to solve problems. Whether "natural" birth control or birth-control technology is being used, the couple's intent not to conceive is still the same.
Pope Paul VI prayed long and hard over this. What stopped him was the question of, "What happens when artificial means fail? What would be the next step? And he saw abortion--the ending of life. He also saw sex as a great gift between couples. Artificial means of birth control reduces this gift to a recreational activity between non-married couples.

. . so? You actually believe what the Vatican published is the truth then?
You may wish to reread that post. I said it was not sufficient. In my book a half truth is still half lie, and a half lie is as good as a whole lie. I think the Vatican should have been totally upfront, a lot earlier.

OH, wait. Another one. What are your thoughts on "Marianismo" and the impact that Catholicism had on the Hispanic culture?
I'm not asking you to defend something or have a perfect/right answer. It is what it is, right?
I am not the person to ask because I have issues with mothers--all mothers, including Mary, including me. From the very little I know, Latinas were taught a more submissive role of Mary than I ever was. I was taught about a girl who faced disgrace--and who ran off across the country to visit her cousin. Mary stood by Jesus during his crucifixion; she was there at Pentecost.

The Catholic Church thinks sex is dirty.
Wrong. It is regarded as a treasured gift. However, it has parameters. For example, a fire in a fireplace is great. A fire in the middle of the living room, not so great. A little sugar, wonderful; too much sugar, weigh gain, diabetes, amputation.

Now that's spin, Paul clearly states women are not allowed to talk in church
Actually, it is not. It is wise to keep in mind the entire culture of the time. In Greece, women did not speak out in public with the exception of pagan rituals (which also promoted sexual intercourse in their rites). The last thing Paul wanted was for the Christian Church to gain that kind of reputation. He had also been talking about speaking in Tongues, that there was a time to speak, a time for interpretation, and these should not overrun each other. Scripture mentions Phoebe, Priscilla, Junia, Chloe, along with a few others.

Paul was not a missionary to the Western Culture of the 21st century. He worked within first century culture and norms.

you going to tell me Mathew 6:6 is always taken out of context or Jesus came from the tribe of Benjamin?
Never heard that Mary was of the tribe of Benjamin. As for praying in public/praying in private--there are times for each.

The Catholic Church thinks sex is dirty.
Wrong. It is regarded as a treasured gift. However, it has parameters. For example, a fire in a fireplace is great. A fire in the middle of the living room, not so great. A little sugar, wonderful; too much sugar, weigh gain, diabetes, amputation.
Catholic Doctrine is built on the idea that sex is dirty

That is why they ban birth control even for married couples. They do not want couples having sex for fun.

That is why they demand celibacy among priests. Nobody can respect a Priest who engages in sex

Goes down to the Virgin birth. Mary was a married woman but had never had sex with her husband. There is no indication she ever did.

Jesus was a virgin. The idea of Jesus having sex is disgusting.

The Catholic Church even considers Masturbation a sin. Because sex is dirty.

What is ideal about condemning a woman who divorces because her husband cheats on her and beats her?
What is ideal about saying she cannot remarry?
How many women are you speaking of? Running off to the fringe to make a point seldom works.

In a Catholic marriage, a vow is made before God that includes forsaking all others. Let's take a look at the fringe. Each promises to love, honor, cherish. If it can be shown that one spouse clearly never meant any promise, then the marriage can be declared null and void (annulment). Wedding vows are taken seriously. Remember, these are vows one person makes to another before God. The priest is merely a witness of these vows.

That is why they ban birth control even for married couples. They do not want couples having sex for fun.

That is why they demand celibacy among priests. Nobody can respect a Priest who engages in sex

Goes down to the Virgin birth. Mary was a married woman but had never had sex with her husband. There is no indication she ever did.

You have it wrong. Sex is beautiful and is to be treated as such. Jesus had another mission and regarded sex as something one takes seriously and with great devotion. He could not give his all to each. (One cannot serve two masters...)

What is ideal about condemning a woman who divorces because her husband cheats on her and beats her?
How many women are you speaking of? Running off to the fringe to make a point seldom works.

In a Catholic marriage, a vow is made before God that includes forsaking all others. Let's take a look at the fringe. Each promises to love, honor, cherish. If it can be shown that one spouse clearly never meant any promise, then the marriage can be declared null and void (annulment). Wedding vows are taken seriously. Remember, these are vows one person makes to another before God. The priest is merely a witness of these vows.
Women who divorce husbands who cheat on them or beat them is far from “fringe”. It is real life.

But how does the Catholic Church handle this divorce in real life? The Priest does not say.....I understand why you are divorcing your husband.
He just says.....We will pretend the marriage never happened.
Are children of that union now illegitimate ?

You have it wrong. Sex is beautiful and is to be treated as such. Jesus had another mission and regarded sex as something one takes seriously and with great devotion. He could not give his all to each. (One cannot serve two masters...)

The church will not acknowledge that people like to have sex for fun. The overwhelming amount of sex is for fun.....not procreation.

No, just as children who were born of those who made their vows before a Justice of a Peace are not illegitimate. In a Catholic ceremony the contract is made before God. If one enters falsely into a contract, it is the contract that is annulled, but the marriage is a non-contract marriage. Children still legitimate. Spouses are now free to enter into a true marriage contract.

The church will not acknowledge that people like to have sex for fun. The overwhelming amount of sex is for fun.....not procreation.
Of course the Church is aware that people want recreational sex! It simply focuses on the priorities of sex, which are commitment to another person and new life. No one I know needs an agency which focuses on the recreational aspects of sex.

No, just as children who were born of those who made their vows before a Justice of a Peace are not illegitimate. In a Catholic ceremony the contract is made before God. If one enters falsely into a contract, it is the contract that is annulled, but the marriage is a non-contract marriage. Children still legitimate. Spouses are now free to enter into a true marriage contract.
You can’t have it both ways

They were either married or not.
If you annul the marriage, it never happened
Children of that marriage are from an unholy bond.

Divorce would say the parents were married, but now they are not

Women who divorce husbands who cheat on them or beat them is far from “fringe”. It is real life.

But how does the Catholic Church handle this divorce in real life? The Priest does not say.....I understand why you are divorcing your husband.
He just says.....We will pretend the marriage never happened.
Lot married his daughters, Lot's cave is a tourist attraction. I didn't fall off a tunip truck.

Last edited:

It is not both ways. It is determining whether the marriage was a covenant marriage or whether it was a marriage but not a covenant marriage.

It is not both ways. It is determining whether the marriage was a covenant marriage or whether it was a marriage but not a covenant marriage.
Interesting, old or new Covenant?

Forum List

Back