As a Catholic, I'm supposed to be nice to people...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
As a Catholic, I'm supposed to be nice to people, that's one of the rules. I believe I'm not doing that very well, and it's even harder to be nice on the internet because you can't see the faces of the people you're talking to.

I realize now that I called theDoctorisIn a lot of nasty names today in another thread, which is probably why he's calling me a "fuckwit" in another thread.

So, theDoctorisIn, I am sorry for all those names I called you today, and if I hurt you in any other way, I apologize for that too.

I think I might have to leave this forum because it's such a temptation to be mean to people, and if I'm going to be a good Catholic, I can't be mean to people anymore.

But for the time being, I will stick around and see if I can convey my ideas, without being mean to people.

If that doesn't work, I will quit.

As a Catholic, I'm supposed to be nice to people, that's one of the rules. I believe I'm not doing that very well, and it's even harder to be nice on the internet because you can't see the faces of the people you're talking to.

I realize now that I called theDoctorisIn a lot of nasty names today in another thread, which is probably why he's calling me a "fuckwit" in another thread.

So, theDoctorisIn, I am sorry for all those names I called you today, and if I hurt you in any other way, I apologize for that too.

I think I might have to leave this forum because it's such a temptation to be mean to people, and if I'm going to be a good Catholic, I can't be mean to people anymore.

But for the time being, I will stick around and see if I can convey my ideas, without being mean to people.

Virtually proselytizing...quit now.

Internet forums are free for alls, and this one is especially so since there are so few restrictions on what we are allowed to say here.

I'm afraid I've mistaken freedom for license, I may be free to call people nasty names on this forum, but I do not have license to do so.

I feel called by God to be a better Catholic, and it might mean I have to leave this forum.

There is too much temptation here to match insult with insult, barb with barb, hurtful comment with hurtful comment.

I know I've been probably one of the worst of you, and for that, I am sorry to everyone I've hurt.

But the Bible says that if a hand or eye causes you to sin, you should cut it off.

And this forum has been where I've committed the most grevious of my sins.

Trust me when I say, I do not act like this in my real life.

Internet forums are free for alls, and this one is especially so since there are so few restrictions on what we are allowed to say here.

I'm afraid I've mistaken freedom for license, I may be free to call people nasty names on this forum, but I do not have license to do so.

I feel called by God to be a better Catholic, and it might mean I have to leave this forum.

There is too much temptation here to match insult with insult, barb with barb, hurtful comment with hurtful comment.

I know I've been probably one of the worst of you, and for that, I am sorry to everyone I've hurt.

But the Bible says that if a hand or eye causes you to sin, you should cut it off.

Sorry kid, I am giving you the baseball back.

Get back in there and give your best stuff.

It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor and it aint over now.

just play old time hockey - like Eddie Shore
don't goon it up any more

The best advice I was ever given regarding online communication is to eliminate the words 'you' and 'your' from all posts to the greatest extent possible. This has kept me better focused on the topic points and away from personal remarks.

Sometimes when responding to a post, I will edit out all the "you" remarks directed at me before responding to the material that is left. This also helps to keep me focused on the topic instead of the poster.

Basically, my marriage is over, my children are grown, and my career is not really going anywhere.

So, at the age of 51, I have nothing to do but prepare to die.

And, I'm not prepared, not nearly.

Basically, my marriage is over, my children are grown, and my career is not really going anywhere.

Ok, how about now?

Nice?

What about the times you need to take out a whip and beat people?

It seems to me that the Catholic church played "nice" during the Holocaust by not calling a spade a spade in order to save their own skin.

Today they do the same with abortion by giving sermons on global warming rather than on what they publically declare as infanticide.

Jesus had the same problem with the religious leaders of his day

Ok, how about now?
What I am now is lost.

Yes, that is the first step in becoming a Christian, congratulations. Without Christ we really are nothing at all.

Last edited:

In the every day situations you face, perhaps ask, "God, what would you have me do?" Or, as the question was posed in a book, "What would Jesus do?"

Ok, how about now?
What I am now is lost.
but it doesn't mean you'll be lost forever.... just like a person admitting to being an alcoholic....it's the first step in recovery... hang in there, keep asking questions about yourself and what God wants of you, is a step in the right direction...sometimes baby steps is the way that gets you, to where you want to be...or God wants you to be.

Last edited:

How about as person you suppose to be nice to people. It has always befuddled me that some people rely on their religion to teach them how to be a decent person. I guess without religion some people would be even bigger a-holes.

How about as person you suppose to be nice to people. It has always befuddled me that some people rely on their religion to teach them how to be a decent person. I guess without religion some people would be even bigger a-holes.

People come to Christ only when they come to the realization that they need him.

Obviously, you think your life will be OK without him.

People come to Christ only when they come to the realization that they need him.

Obviously, you think your life will be OK without him.

I somewhat agree with your statement. I don't think however that Christ or Christianity has a monopoly on "saving " people. There is great value in religious practice to many people. It's real, and in the context of this thread, if it makes you a nicer person, then I have no issue.

I feel guilty sometimes, too, Blackrook, for the things I say here. It is full of people who like to provoke and sometimes even if they aren't intentionally provoking anyone, the idea itself is so antithetical to what I believe that it just plain PISSES ME OFF.

Rather than focus on the words you say, I think if you really want to be nice to people, you might want to start by not holding all Muslims responsible for terrorism.

But give yourself a little break. Christ knows we're human. At least you're trying.

In the every day situations you face, perhaps ask, "God, what would you have me do?" Or, as the question was posed in a book, "What would Jesus do?"

What would Jesus do?

Make friends with all sorts of bad characters, stick it to the man, and then whoop it up partying with sinners and prostitutes ?

Maybe if you weren't such a fuckup, things would go better for you.

The best advice I was ever given regarding online communication is to eliminate the words 'you' and 'your' from all posts to the greatest extent possible. This has kept me better focused on the topic points and away from personal remarks.

Sometimes when responding to a post, I will edit out all the "you" remarks directed at me before responding to the material that is left. This also helps to keep me focused on the topic instead of the poster.

Sounds like that old adage about marriage - never use the words "always" and "never".

but yes, you have a point. Meant to post in another thread that you had said something worthwhile. I don't usually read your preachy nonsense but that was not your usual input.

Gee, speaking of being nice, I sound really snotty ^ there.

:)

Forum List

Back