And then we have this...

Ahh yes and this, I guess another Bush timewarp commander that will lie to Congress and just goosestep like ( according to the leftoid tinfoil hat crowd) the last couple have.

And since it says these two will sail to what appears easy confirmation, what happened to that Evil Bush plan to only have his yes men in place? The claim he fires anyone that doesn't agree with him?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/w...56b43979a253fe&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I think polls are to easy to manipulate, but since you liberals love them so much, here are a couple for you.... Your not gonna like them.

http://www.gop.com/images/July_Iraq_Poll.pdf

Ohh and the polls were NOT conducted by the GOP, they were conducted as indicated by the organizations on the chart.

Hey show me the one bill the Democrats supported which called for immediate withdrawal.

In fact, the only member of Congress to put a bill on the floor with an immediate withdrawal was Duncan Hunter A REPUBLICAN, back in 2005.

determining foreign policy by taking a poll of average americans is as ridiculous as determining foreign policy by taking a poll of folks in uniform.

I don't really CARE if 70% of Americans polled think that Al Qaeda will take over Iraq if we leave. It still is a patently ridiculous assertion.

Shit...70% of Americans couldn't find Iraq on a globe. 70% of Americans don't even know who the secretary of state is.... but RGS thinks we should poll them to determine what direction we should take with our nation's foreign policy?

I beg to differ.

I have to agree with maineman. The people shouldnt decide policy. We need a dictatorship. Let's just let the liberals take over power and decide everything for us. :eusa_boohoo: :eusa_boohoo: :eusa_dance:

And just to irritate certain posters on this board, here is another set of results for the President versus Congress and the economy.

http://www.gop.com/images/JuneJuly_POTUS_Congress.pdf

Again NONE of this is taken by the GOP, they just compiled the data and provide the sources.

I wonder why the GOP did not "compile" this? They must have just missed it.

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. July 18-21, 2007. N=1,125 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3. Fieldwork by TNS.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling his job as president?"

Approve 33
Disapprove 65
Unsure 2

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. July 18-21, 2007. N=1,125 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3. Fieldwork by TNS. (same poll)

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Democrats in Congress are doing their job?"

Approve 46
Disapprove 51
Unsure 2

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. July 18-21, 2007. N=1,125 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3. Fieldwork by TNS. (same poll)

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Republicans in Congress are doing their job?"

Approve 34
Disapprove 64
Unsure 2

What party do YOU think is dragging congressional approval ratings down? :eusa_think:

determining foreign policy by taking a poll of average americans is as ridiculous as determining foreign policy by taking a poll of folks in uniform.

I don't really CARE if 70% of Americans polled think that Al Qaeda will take over Iraq if we leave. It still is a patently ridiculous assertion.

Shit...70% of Americans couldn't find Iraq on a globe. 70% of Americans don't even know who the secretary of state is.... but RGS thinks we should poll them to determine what direction we should take with our nation's foreign policy?

I beg to differ.

I have to agree with you on this. Few people in this country know who the Secretary of State is, of Defense, of Health, of Education and cannot name any of them. Few would be able to tell who the Homeland Security Advisor is and what she does. This is why we don't base our foreign policy on opinion polls instead we base it on hard evidence and facts and then decide based on those facts and this is why the Congress needs to take a greater role in these matters and to exercise their constitutional authority to set U.S. policy and work with the President as necessary and over-ride him as necessary in order to preserve our national security and have a clear foreign policy. The President has his role to play and so does the Congress and Congress hasn't been willing to stand up and to assert its authority because they fear Bush but they must do their job. An opinion poll won't change that.

Hey show me the one bill the Democrats supported which called for immediate withdrawal.

In fact, the only member of Congress to put a bill on the floor with an immediate withdrawal was Duncan Hunter A REPUBLICAN, back in 2005.

Can you please cite the bill and provide a link to it?

I beg to differ.

Kinda says something about "universal education" doesn't it? And by extension, shouldn't that tell us something about the idea of "universal health care?"

Sorry to jump off-topic, but I felt the observation pertinent.

Kinda says something about "universal education" doesn't it? And by extension, shouldn't that tell us something about the idea of "universal health care?"

Sorry to jump off-topic, but I felt the observation pertinent.

If anything, it shows you what happens when the federal government sticks its nose where it doesn't belong.

Originally Posted by maineman View Post

I beg to differ.

Well except you do NOT beg to differ when they agree with you, You cite polls all the damn time and claim they prove your point, or prove some b ill should be passed AND you have cited polls and claimed they were the reason we should pull out. There is of course a word for that.

Well except you do NOT beg to differ when they agree with you, You cite polls all the damn time and claim they prove your point, or prove some b ill should be passed AND you have cited polls and claimed they were the reason we should pull out. There is of course a word for that.

I have never cited a poll as THE reason we should pull out. that is incorrect.

I do not suggest that polling is, in and of itself, a bad thing. I think it is a process that provides a clear snapshot of the public's perception at any given moment.

What I am saying is that the idea that we formulate our nation's foreign policy concerning Iraq and the middle east based upon the perceptions of people who cannot even find Iraq OR the middle east on a MAP is ridiculous. Enlightened, elected national leaders need to develop foreign policy and it should not be based upon the lowest common denominator of knowledge among the people.

Kind of like the public's perception of the constitution and how it ought to be interpreted. The supreme court has never interpreted the constitutionality of anything based upon a public opinion poll. Which is the context of the quote of mine that you so rudely take out of context. But I am certainly not surprised.

and if you are going to snipe away at me from the peanut gallery and address me directly, have the balls to take me off "ignore"... assuming you actually have a set.

I have never cited a poll as THE reason we should pull out. that is incorrect.

I do not suggest that polling is, in and of itself, a bad thing. I think it is a process that provides a clear snapshot of the public's perception at any given moment.

I am not so sure how "clear" that snapshot is; it depends on too many factors.

What I am saying is that the idea that we formulate our nation's foreign policy concerning Iraq and the middle east based upon the perceptions of people who cannot even find Iraq OR the middle east on a MAP is ridiculous. Yup...no matter what ideology they ascribe themselves to. Enlightened, ...one man's enlightment is another man's idiocy... elected national leaders need to develop foreign policy and it should not be based upon the lowest common denominator of knowledge among the people. Amen.

Kind of like the public's perception of the constitution and how it ought to be interpreted. The supreme court has never interpreted the constitutionality of anything based upon a public opinion poll. Good thing eh? Which is the context of the quote of mine that you so rudely take out of context. But I am certainly not surprised.

and if you are going to snipe away at me from the peanut gallery and address me directly, have the balls to take me off "ignore"... assuming you actually have a set.

Your third paragraph is exactly why our country is so divided. The difference of opinion over what is "enlightened" and what is not.

Your third paragraph is exactly why our country is so divided. The difference of opinion over what is "enlightened" and what is not.

I would suggest that being able to find Iraq on a map may be the first step towards enlightenment regarding our situation there. Maybe we should propose a test: if you can't point out Iraq and Afghanistan on a map after our being there for nearly five years, you have no right to even VOICE an opinion about it.:badgrin:

I would suggest that being able to find Iraq on a map may be the first step towards enlightenment regarding our situation there. Maybe we should propose a test: if you can't point out Iraq and Afghanistan on a map after our being there for nearly five years, you have no right to even VOICE an opinion about it.:badgrin:

I can, have been able to for at least the past 40 years or so. Still doesn't make my take right or wrong. Hell, I can even find Turkey, Syria, Jordan, and the Gaza. ;)

I can, have been able to for at least the past 40 years or so. Still doesn't make my take right or wrong. Hell, I can even find Turkey, Syria, Jordan, and the Gaza. ;)

but wouldn't you say that someone's inability to find those places might be an indication that they are not quite as expert on the issue of American foreign policy as it pertains to the middle east as they might try to portray themselves?

Forum List

Back