America's Pastime

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Lots of talk about the decline of baseball, but at a Little League tryout this morning there was a huge mob of kids there to get involved. Anecdotal yes, but still...

The more kids involved in sports the better.

Lots of talk about the decline of baseball, but at a Little League tryout this morning there was a huge mob of kids there to get involved. Anecdotal yes, but still...

Parents hoping their unplanned pregnancy results in a winning lottery ticket.

Baseball is great.Even if your home team is 20 games back in the standings each game is special.Seeing a no hitter,grand slam .I've see some of the best over the years.

I starting following baseball last season after a long hiatus. With this latest scandal I’m surprised I don’t hear a lot of sports commentators talking about the damage done to the sport’s reputation

I starting following baseball last season after a long hiatus. With this latest scandal I’m surprised I don’t hear a lot of sports commentators talking about the damage done to the sport’s reputation
They`ll get over it just like the steroid era. Surprisingly there was an increase in attendance and tv viewership in 2019.
MLB sees fan growth across the board in 2019

nice. Good to be seeing baseball doing better. Yeah, I remember how every commentator wouldn’t shut up about how the steroids era was a black eye for baseball. Now with this latest scandal, it’s already out of the news cycle.

All I met were parents giving their kids an opportunity to learn a great sport, get good exercise, make friends, and join a great American tradition.

In today's world i remember my kid playing baseball, and when everything was over, everyone won a trophy....Yep, baseball is for losers...

Baseball is still the second-highest income generating sport in the US. In fact, from what I've read, it's the second-highest grossing sport in the world.

Top Professional Sports Leagues by Revenue

I'm not a baseball fan, and it always surprises me how much money the sport still makes.
A few years back team owners claimed the average fan,, tickets included, spends $100 at a game [I have nothing to verify that number] my team draws between 3 & 4 million fans a year and are the most expensive team to watch...so on in-game revenue alone they make a minimum of 300 million a year [I'm sure that's the low end] their commercial product lines far exceed that and their advertising revenue exceeds both fan spending and souvegnier sales combined, and then their is the tv revenue from the station they own. they are rolling it.

WTF?? Really? What a loser!

How about a bunch of kids living the dream..playing ball..competing?

I coached Little League baseball for a decade. Never a shortage of enthusiasm from the kids or the parents.

I love baseball and I love well-managed amateur baseball for kids.

But it does bring out the worst in parents, unfortunately. I was a coach, commissioner, umpire, and business manager for many teams and leagues over the years, but since my kid was an only child, I didn't get much chance to use my learned wisdom to make things better for kids coming along after mine.

My favorite activity was organizing tournaments. For kids playing, that is the most intense and fun time of year.

Youth Sports Burnout Due To Overbearing Parents

Overbearing Parents and Youth Sport

I didn’t run into any such parents this weekend, did you?

I didn’t run into any such parents this weekend, did you?
I did not..while they exist..by far, most parents are polite and supportive.

The best things about baseball is that it is basically non-violent and, most of all, the object/goal is to get home.

Forum List

Back