America Founded as a Christian Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've tried to make a God of Jefferson

No I posted his mortal secular philosophy in his own words.

”I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus, very different from the Platonists, who call me infidel and themselves Christians and preachers of the gospe.”

you posted Jefferson’s partial words but deliberately left out two important words;

Very Different​

You should know what those two words mean

Jefferson said he was a real Christian,very different from the Platonists, who called him an infidel and themselves Christians and preachers of the gospels.

You said Jefferson said he was a real Christian.

that is a lie.

Go ahead and run. It proves you know you are busted.

"In what sense can [America] be called a Christian nation? Not in the sense that Christianity is the established religion or that the people are in any manner compelled to support it. On the contrary, the Constitution specifically provides that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” Neither is it Christian in the sense that all its citizens are either in fact or name Christians. On the contrary, all religions have free scope within our borders. Numbers of our people profess other religions, and many reject all. Nor is it Christian in the sense that a profession of Christianity is a condition of holding office or otherwise engaging in public service, or essential to recognition either politically or socially. In fact, the government as a legal organization is independent of all religions. Nevertheless, we constantly speak of this republic as a Christian nation – in fact, as the leading Christian nation of the world."

David J. Brewer, The United States: A Christian Nation (Philadelphia: John C. Winston Company, 1905), p. 12

"So, if being a Christian nation is not based on any of the above criterion, then what makes America a Christian nation? According to Justice Brewer, America was “of all the nations in the world . . . most justly called a Christian nation” because Christianity “has so largely shaped and molded it.”

David J. Brewer, The United States: A Christian Nation (Philadelphia: John C. Winston Company, 1905), p. 57.

"We classify nations in various ways: as, for instance, by their form of government. One is a kingdom, another an empire, and still another a republic. Also by race. Great Britain is an Anglo-Saxon nation, France a Gallio, Germany a Teutonic, Russia a Slav. And still again by religion. One is a Mohammedan nation, others are heathen, and still others are Christian nations. This republic is classified among the Christian nations of the world. It was so formally declared by the Supreme Court of the United States. In the case of Holy Trinity Church vs. United States, 143 U.S. 471, that Court, after mentioning various circumstances, added, “these and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation."

David J. Brewer, The United States: A Christian Nation (Philadelphia: John C. Winston Company, 1905), p. 11.

Justice Brewer was an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court

Last edited:
Due to popular request I am starting a thread covering the fact that America was begun as a Christian nation. Be forewarned, I will not respond to posts that are more than twelve or so paragraphs. If we are going to discuss the issue, it has to be a few things at a time. Bottom line: America was founded as a Christian nation.

As soon as one says that the atheists and other non-believers will start with their lies and straw man arguments. They will tell you that I just said America was founded as a theocracy. AMERICA WAS NOT FOUNDED AS A THEOCRACY. IT WAS FOUNDED AS A REPUBLIC BASED UPON CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES.

Politics is nothing more than religion in action. Our sense of right and wrong are all predicated on moral values and we got from biblical precepts. The very first governing document of the New World was the Mayflower Compact. It states:

In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the Glory of God, and “advancements of the Christian faith

Okay, I’m well aware that St. Augustine is the oldest city in the U.S, the Spaniards were there before the colonists and that other colonists preceded those on the Mayflower. That Mayflower Compact was the first GOVERNING document of the New World. Colonization and founding are synonymous.

The First Charter of Virginia of 1606 stated:

We greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their Desires for the Furtherance of so noble a Work, which may, by the Providence of Almighty God, hereafter tend to the Glory his Divine Majesty, in propagating of Christian Religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness and miserable Ignorance of the true Knowledge and Worship of God, and may in time bring the Infidels and Savages, living in those parts, to human Civility, to a settled and quiet government.”

Similar language attesting to our Christian roots during this period would be the Second Charter of Virginia of 1609, Third Charter of Virginia 1611 – 1612, The Charter of New England 1620, Ordinances For Virginia, July 24, 1621, The Charter of Massachusetts Bay 1629, and I will add more to the chorological order each time I post.

In 1630, John Winthrop delivered a sermon aboard the Arbella as it sailed toward the New World. That sermon has been cited by U.S. statesmen including, but not limited to JFK and Ronald Reagan. It defines WHO the colonists were and what their objective was in the New World. Any sermon being quoted by American politicians 300 years later deserves to be examined. Here is a link to it and it is a must read if you want to add intelligent commentary to this thread:

https://www.casa-arts.org/cms/lib/PA01925203/Centricity/Domain/50/A Model of Christian Charity.pdf More to come

It may have been founded as a Christian Nation, but no one would mistake it for that today.

You've tried to make a God of Jefferson

No I posted his mortal secular philosophy in his own words.

”I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus, very different from the Platonists, who call me infidel and themselves Christians and preachers of the gospe.”

you posted Jefferson’s partial words but deliberately left out two important words;

Very Different​

You should know what those two words mean

Jefferson said he was a real Christian,very different from the Platonists, who called him an infidel and themselves Christians and preachers of the gospels.

You said Jefferson said he was a real Christian.

that is a lie.

Go ahead and run. It proves you know you are busted.

I quoted the man in his own words and gave the reference for you. If I had lied, there would be no verification so that people could see the context. You are a low down, dirty, rotten, filthy LIAR.

That I allow people to read it and make up their own mind shows that I am giving the subject context. You are a simple minded opportunist with NO regard for the truth. You ass got busted on that lie about the the Treaty of Tripoli and you refused to own your mistake. So bite me.

"In what sense can [America] be called a Christian nation? Not in the sense that Christianity is the established religion or that the people are in any manner compelled to support it. On the contrary, the Constitution specifically provides that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” Neither is it Christian in the sense that all its citizens are either in fact or name Christians. On the contrary, all religions have free scope within our borders. Numbers of our people profess other religions, and many reject all. Nor is it Christian in the sense that a profession of Christianity is a condition of holding office or otherwise engaging in public service, or essential to recognition either politically or socially. In fact, the government as a legal organization is independent of all religions. Nevertheless, we constantly speak of this republic as a Christian nation – in fact, as the leading Christian nation of the world."

David J. Brewer, The United States: A Christian Nation (Philadelphia: John C. Winston Company, 1905), p. 12

"So, if being a Christian nation is not based on any of the above criterion, then what makes America a Christian nation? According to Justice Brewer, America was “of all the nations in the world . . . most justly called a Christian nation” because Christianity “has so largely shaped and molded it.”

David J. Brewer, The United States: A Christian Nation (Philadelphia: John C. Winston Company, 1905), p. 57.

"We classify nations in various ways: as, for instance, by their form of government. One is a kingdom, another an empire, and still another a republic. Also by race. Great Britain is an Anglo-Saxon nation, France a Gallio, Germany a Teutonic, Russia a Slav. And still again by religion. One is a Mohammedan nation, others are heathen, and still others are Christian nations. This republic is classified among the Christian nations of the world. It was so formally declared by the Supreme Court of the United States. In the case of Holy Trinity Church vs. United States, 143 U.S. 471, that Court, after mentioning various circumstances, added, “these and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation."

David J. Brewer, The United States: A Christian Nation (Philadelphia: John C. Winston Company, 1905), p. 11.

Justice Brewer was an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court

Due to popular request I am starting a thread covering the fact that America was begun as a Christian nation. Be forewarned, I will not respond to posts that are more than twelve or so paragraphs. If we are going to discuss the issue, it has to be a few things at a time. Bottom line: America was founded as a Christian nation.

As soon as one says that the atheists and other non-believers will start with their lies and straw man arguments. They will tell you that I just said America was founded as a theocracy. AMERICA WAS NOT FOUNDED AS A THEOCRACY. IT WAS FOUNDED AS A REPUBLIC BASED UPON CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES.

Politics is nothing more than religion in action. Our sense of right and wrong are all predicated on moral values and we got from biblical precepts. The very first governing document of the New World was the Mayflower Compact. It states:

In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the Glory of God, and “advancements of the Christian faith

Okay, I’m well aware that St. Augustine is the oldest city in the U.S, the Spaniards were there before the colonists and that other colonists preceded those on the Mayflower. That Mayflower Compact was the first GOVERNING document of the New World. Colonization and founding are synonymous.

We greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their Desires for the Furtherance of so noble a Work, which may, by the Providence of Almighty God, hereafter tend to the Glory his Divine Majesty, in propagating of Christian Religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness and miserable Ignorance of the true Knowledge and Worship of God, and may in time bring the Infidels and Savages, living in those parts, to human Civility, to a settled and quiet government.”

Similar language attesting to our Christian roots during this period would be the Second Charter of Virginia of 1609, Third Charter of Virginia 1611 – 1612, The Charter of New England 1620, Ordinances For Virginia, July 24, 1621, The Charter of Massachusetts Bay 1629, and I will add more to the chorological order each time I post.

In 1630, John Winthrop delivered a sermon aboard the Arbella as it sailed toward the New World. That sermon has been cited by U.S. statesmen including, but not limited to JFK and Ronald Reagan. It defines WHO the colonists were and what their objective was in the New World. Any sermon being quoted by American politicians 300 years later deserves to be examined. Here is a link to it and it is a must read if you want to add intelligent commentary to this thread:

https://www.casa-arts.org/cms/lib/PA01925203/Centricity/Domain/50/A Model of Christian Charity.pdf More to come

It may have been founded as a Christian Nation, but no one would mistake it for that today.

And, officially, it is recognized that since the 1960s you would be right. So all these critics - like our resident troll have to own the condition of America. It's all on them. They want credit for the country we live in compared to the 1960s when they got the United States Supreme Court to buy into their morally bankrupt "separation of church and state." If someone were to look back to what an American household looked like just a few years before America went hard left, they would go back to the time when Christian values were a part of our daily culture.

Who wrote the rules saying what one must believe or disbelieve IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD (WHICH IS IN THE BIBLE)?????

The only rule I am citing is when you quote a prominent historic person such as Thomas Jefferson do not leave out critical words that change the entire intent andMeaning of what he was writing

Who wrote the rules saying what one must believe or disbelieve IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD (WHICH IS IN THE BIBLE)?????

The only rule I am citing is when you quote a prominent historic person such as Thomas Jefferson do not leave out critical words that change the entire intent andMeaning of what he was writing

I didn't you liar. Not a damn thing was left out. I gave the citing source and people can read it and decide for themselves. NOBODY needs a tyrant like you deciding who can say they are Christian or not.

You are the example of why America needs Religious Liberty. You don't trust others to read the thread and decide for themselves. BTW, I quoted Justice Brewer. Do you want me to go back and post the whole freaking book? You think everybody here is an idiot and too stupid to access the link and decide for themselves what to think... so you can school us all. Problem is, your IQ is no larger than your shoe size.

I will not address our resident troll beyond this. Let the heathen rage.

Last edited:
"[W]ith us, Christianity and religion are identified. It would be strange, indeed, if with such a people our institutions did not presuppose Christianity and did not often refer to it and exhibit relations with it."

John Marshall, The Papers of John Marshall, Charles Hobson, editor (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2006), Vol. XII, p. 278, to Rev. Jasper Adams, May 9, 1833

John Marshall was the fourth Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court and was appointed by John Adams

Does anybody here think Donald Trump appoints / nominates judges that disagree with him? So, why would John Adams?

"The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were. . . . the general principles of Christianity." John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Charles Francis Adams, editor (Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1856), Vol. X, pp. 45-46, to Thomas Jefferson on June 28, 1813

Last edited:
I quoted the man in his own words and gave the reference for you.

Fact: No you posted no reference to date or addressee. No link to source.

Go back and look

Fact Two: You posted a fraction of the full sentence and without two words that define what Jefferson meant when he said real Christian. A real Christian is Very Different from the preachers of the Gospels that called him an Atheist and Infidelz

Fact Three. I posted the full statement that Jefferson writer because I do not believe in lying for any reason and never do.

if you want to call me s l liar you need to point to the written word that I did.

In 1852-1853 when some citizens sought a complete secularization of the public square and a cessation of all religious activities by the government, Congress responded with unambiguous declarations about America as a Christian nation:

SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE: "We are Christians, not because the law demands it, not to gain exclusive benefits or to avoid legal disabilities, but from choice and education; and in a land thus universally Christian, what is to be expected, what desired, but that we shall pay a due regard to Christianity?"

Reports of Committees

I didn't you liar. Not a damn thing was left out. I gave the citing source and people can read it and decide for themselves. NOBODY needs a tyrant like you deciding who can say they are Christian or not.

Stop babbling on and go back to your post and copy it and then post it again right now.

Don’t say anything just post it.

I will reply and post the full statement and provide the date and addressee of The letter and a link to the source.

I will say nothing.

You won’t do it because you will realize you are a liar. The only liar.

"One of the beautiful boasts of our municipal jurisprudence is that Christianity is a part of the Common Law. . . . There never has been a period in which the Common Law did not recognize Christianity as lying at its foundations. . . . I verily believe Christianity necessary to the support of civil society."

Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (Boston: Hillard, Gray, and Company, 1833), Vol. III, p. 724, § 1867.

Justice Joseph Story (1779-1845) was appointed to the Court by President James Madison. Story is considered the founder of Harvard Law School and authored the three-volume classic Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (1833). In his 34 years on the Court, Story authored opinions in 286 cases, of which 269 were reported as the majority opinion or the opinion of the Court 26 and his many contributions to American law have caused him to be called a “Father of American Jurisprudence.”

In order to prove "Notfooledbyw" is a pathological liar, I invite all to see post # 495 wherein I wrote:

"I am a real Christian – that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ." Thomas Jefferson

* The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Ellery Bergh, editor (Washington, D.C.: The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association, 1904), Vol. XIV, p. 385, to Charles Thomson on January 9, 1816

Examine at WHEN that was posted and when the time this is being posted. There is no way in HELL I edited that post, making that troll a liar.

Last edited:
"And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle." George Washington - Farewell Address

Education of children is not within the de jure jurisdiction of the federal government. So, when the feds took over education and favored secularism / humanism over Christianity in 1962, they created an unofficial state religion.

John Jay was one of the authors of the Federalist Papers and became America’s first United States Supreme Court Justice. He also served as the president of the American Bible Society. He understood the relationship between government and Christian values. He said, “Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

John Jay, October 12, 1816, in The Correspondence and Public Papers of John Jay, Henry P. Johnston, ed., (New York: G.P Putnam & Sons, 1893; reprinted NY: Burt Franklin, 1970), Vol. IV, 393

GEORGE WASHINGTON'S OWN UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT JUSTICE CALLED THIS COUNTRY A CHRISTIAN NATION!!!

I wonder if our resident troll would agree to leave this thread if I go back through 500 + posts and show the link to every disputed fact I've presented.

Do you think Donald Trump nominates people he disagrees with to serve on the United States Supreme Court? Would Washington nominate a Chief Justice that disagreed on this contentious issue?

Last edited:
Not a damn thing was left out. I gave the citing source and people can read it and decide for themselves.

"I am a real Christian – that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ."
--The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, p. 385.

To Charles Thomson Monticello, January 9, 1816. I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus, very different from the Platonists, who call me infidel and themselvesChristians and preachers of the gospel, while they draw all their characteristic dogmas from what its author never said nor saw. They have compounded from the heathen mysteries a system beyond the comprehension of man,

To Charles Thomson Monticello, January 9, 1816 < The Letters of Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826 < Thomas Jefferson < Presidents < American History From Revolution To Reconstruction and beyond

James Madison was the chief architect of the Constitution as well as one of the authors of the Federalist Papers. It is important to note that as a youth, he studied under a Scottish Presbyterian, Donald Robertson. Madison gave the credit to Robertson for “all that I have been in life."

John Eidsmoe, Christianity and the Constitution (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 1987), 94.

Let's start in post # 1 since some people have failed to address the OP:

I will not allow the troll to derail this thread.

Reply to Post 23935517.

“So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’ "The Truth Will Set You Free" - Bible Verse Meaning Explained

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying ...

Wikipedia › wiki › Internet_troll

Internet troll - Wikipedia

The OP will attack anyone that joins this thread to challenge Mr. Rockwell’s assertions and presentation which includes s conspiracy theory that America has two governments and one of them is illegal.

Truth is not welcome here,

My first post was attacked right off the bat by Mr Rockwell with an insult to my Biblical intelligence.

My very first post was not the work of a Troll because it was intended to help seek the truth as Jesus is said to have advised.

For convenience a link to my very first post on this thread is here:

There were Christians involved in the founding and revolt against the King,

How many currently immersed and obsessed with Christianity today would have appreciated one if the greatest minds of all the founders declaring that the Christian Bible is full of political dung. Nice word for bullshit.
  • Jefferson was most comfortable with Deism, rational religion, and Unitarianism.[3] He was sympathetic to and in general agreement with the moral precepts of Christianity.[4] He considered the teachings of Jesus as having "the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man,"[5] yet he held that the pure teachings of Jesus appeared to have been appropriated by some of Jesus' early followers, resulting in a Bible that contained both "diamonds" of wisdom and the "dung" of ancient political agendas.[6]. Religious views of Thomas Jefferson - Wikipedia

Mr Rockwell repeatedly complains against posting links in this manner, I wonder why.

My very first post included a quote by one of our most esteemed founding fathers and former president of the recently founded nation regarding his views on the Christian religion and his personal view if it.

In Jefferson’s own words in the cited quote Jefferson used the word “dung” to describe what he thought of the more or less supernatural and heathen mysteries contained in the Holy Bible.

Judge for yourself if that post was the work of a Troll to simply distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages.

The contemporaneous words of a founding father and early President in regards to the Holy Bible and the Christian religion is not relative to this thread or Mr Rockwell’d presentation.

Give me a break.

Last edited:
Reply to Post 23935517.

“So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’ "The Truth Will Set You Free" - Bible Verse Meaning Explained

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying ...

Wikipedia › wiki › Internet_troll

Internet troll - Wikipedia

The OP will attack anyone that joins this thread to challenge Mr. Rockwell’s assertions and presentation which includes s conspiracy theory that America has two governments and one of them is illegal.

Truth is not welcome here,

My first post was attacked right off the bat by Mr Rockwell with an insult to my Biblical intelligence.

My very first post was not the work of a Troll because it was intended to help seek the truth as Jesus is said to have advised.

For convenience a link to my very first post on this thread is here:

There were Christians involved in the founding and revolt against the King,

How many currently immersed and obsessed with Christianity today would have appreciated one if the greatest minds of all the founders declaring that the Christian Bible is full of political dung. Nice word for bullshit.
  • Jefferson was most comfortable with Deism, rational religion, and Unitarianism.[3] He was sympathetic to and in general agreement with the moral precepts of Christianity.[4] He considered the teachings of Jesus as having "the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man,"[5] yet he held that the pure teachings of Jesus appeared to have been appropriated by some of Jesus' early followers, resulting in a Bible that contained both "diamonds" of wisdom and the "dung" of ancient political agendas.[6]. Religious views of Thomas Jefferson - Wikipedia

Mr Rockwell repeatedly complains against posting links in this manner, I wonder why.

My very first post included a quote by one of our most esteemed founding fathers and former president of the recently founded nation regarding his views on the Christian religion and his personal view if it.

In Jefferson’s own words in the cited quote Jefferson used the word “dung” to describe what he thought of the more or less supernatural and heathen mysteries contained in the Holy Bible.

Judge for yourself if that post was the work of a Troll to simply distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages.

The contemporaneous words of a founding father and early President in regards to the Holy Bible and the Christian religion is not relative to this thread or Mr Rockwell’d presentation.

Give me a break.

It seems like the words of a founding father, at the time of the founding, would shed light on the assumptions and premises of the Founding Fathers, unless you can show that the founding father in question, was not representative of the group.

Your behavior does seem more troll like than constructive.

23936225 reply to 23936192
It seems like the words of a founding father, at the time of the founding, would shed light on the assumptions and premises of the Founding Fathers, unless you can show that the founding father in question, was not representative of the group.

Are you saying Jefferson’s unique and solitary views on the corruption of Christianity by the political organization of the Church though the centuries that issued the so called Holy Bible is not relevant to a discussion in the topic of whether the nation that Jefferson was most instrumental in enduring the new nation had a wall of separation between that corrupt church and that new state. And if you dare bring one view that is not representative of the entire group of founding fathers then that deserves s label of being a troll?

if this is your intent you might as well be dating we should burn Jefferson’s books because the don’t represent the whole.

Is that what you just posted. If not pleas e do explain

23936225 reply to 23936192

Are you saying Jefferson’s unique and solitary views on the corruption of Christianity by the political organization of the Church though the centuries that issued the so called Holy Bible is not relevant to a discussion in the topic of whether the nation that Jefferson was most instrumental in enduring the new nation had a wall of separation between that corrupt church and that new state. And if you dare bring one view that is not representative of the entire group of founding fathers then that deserves s label of being a troll?

if this is your intent you might as well be dating we should burn Jefferson’s books because the don’t represent the whole.

Is that what you just posted. If not pleas e do explain

I said none of that, and your leap from not supporting an Established State Church to your conclusion of "wall of separation between" is unsupported and troll like.

Indeed, your entire demeanor, screams "Troll".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back