Am I losing my faith or just becoming more realistic?

Contrary to popular myth, the Hebrews weren't slaves, the Egyptians just wouldn't let them practice their own religion in their land. (Actually, that's a myth, too. there's no evidence that the Hebrews ever lived in Egypt. This is a small Kingdom with a temple the size of a barn being jealous of their rich, prosperous neighbor's huge Temple Cities to their animal-headed gods.)
Delve more deeply. While the twelve tribes of Israel may never have been slaves in Egypt, there is plenty of indication that the Tribe of Levi was in Egypt. It is possible this was the only tribe. Other bits of information: Levites did not own land; they were considered a priestly class. They are also the only tribe of the Israelites whose children had Egyptian names.

Here's how we can help each other... stop believing in magic sky pixies telling us what kind of sex to have and demanding money all the time.
1. There is no belief in 'magic sky pixies' so done.
2. Have never advised anyone on sexual matters, so done.
3. Have never demanded money from anyone, even when they owed me. Done.

Anything else?

But those are the delusions in your head and we have medications for that now.
Ha! So it really bothers you that they are not delusions? Peace, and do not be afraid. Joe, my issue with you is that you are not a true atheist. True atheists are not defensive; they take no position on the Bible. Only people trying to convince themselves there is no God and that religion is a bad thing go to the efforts you do to twist Biblical accounts into pretzels that are unrecognizable to people of faith. We do not see Biblical accounts as you do. When studied properly, many of us find the contents not only fascinating, but amazing.

Here is the difference between us: Since I do not believe in unicorns, I do not look for books on unicorns, and I am not defensive about my non-belief. Since I have no interest in rockets, even though I do believe in rockets, I do not spend time online discussing rocketry. I am comfortable with my own position on each of these things and feel no need to discuss a thing in which I do not believe, or a thing which does not hold my interest. The atheists in my family are true atheists. They do not often discuss that in which they hold neither belief nor interest. You are not at all like them.

You will notice I did not say 'Bible', I said Jews...you know, those people who properly understand what the Old Testament teaches. I am pointing to their actions.

You mean the people who wrote a book that rationalizes genocide and then, "Oh my God, we are being Genocided!!!"

The thing is, Christians or Jews wouldn't want to live under Biblical law. If you want to go by biblical law, you probably have to go with the Muslims, with their honor killings and shit. They understand what Yahweh,... er Allah wants.

Ha! So it really bothers you that they are not delusions?

No, it really bothers me that you guys are trying to impose your delusions on the rest of us.

I was done with you guys in 1983... but...

Peace, and do not be afraid. Joe, my issue with you is that you are not a true atheist. True atheists are not defensive; they take no position on the Bible. Only people trying to convince themselves there is no God and that religion is a bad thing go to the efforts you do to twist Biblical accounts into pretzels that are unrecognizable to people of faith. We do not see Biblical accounts as you do. When studied properly, many of us find the contents not only fascinating, but amazing.

Oh, what I find amazing is most Christians have NO IDEA what's in the bible because their Priests and Nuns "Disneyfy" the presentation of it. In fact, I never heard the story of Jephthah the Gileadite (You know, the asshole who butchered and burned his virgin daughter as a sacrifice to Yahweh because he was terrified God would punish him for not fulfilling a badly worded oath) in 12 years of Catholic Brainwashing. Nope. Wasn't a story anyone wanted to tell us, for some reason. Kind of clashed with the equally horrible story of how God insisted that Abraham sacrifice Isaac as a loyalty test.

Here is the difference between us: Since I do not believe in unicorns, I do not look for books on unicorns, and I am not defensive about my non-belief. Since I have no interest in rockets, even though I do believe in rockets, I do not spend time online discussing rocketry.

Here's the difference. No one who thinks there are unicorns spends time trying to impose unicorns on the rest of us. The Founding Fathers had one thing right, Separation of Church and State. When you clowns stop trying to ban abortion and gay marriage or claiming you don't have to pay for family planning services for yoru employees because you need that money to buy fake Bible Artifacts, THEN I'll stop worrying about you.

Beyond that, I do have a fascination with mythology in general. I've very well versed in Greek and Norse mythology. The thing is, I don't have to really point out that Zeus was a little rapey is a bad thing because no one is trying to impose Zeus as a moral guide today.

Delve more deeply. While the twelve tribes of Israel may never have been slaves in Egypt, there is plenty of indication that the Tribe of Levi was in Egypt. It is possible this was the only tribe. Other bits of information: Levites did not own land; they were considered a priestly class. They are also the only tribe of the Israelites whose children had Egyptian names.

There's absolutely ZERO evidence that the Hebrews ever lived in Egypt. They didn't have "Egyptian" names. Egyptian names were actually kind of complicated. The Hebrew language and the Egyptian Language - totally different.

No, it really bothers me that you guys are trying to impose your delusions on the rest of us.
Joe, I know you are the one who is deluded. The Church is not trying to impose beliefs on anyone. Everything that you see today goes through a political agenda. In this country, people have a right to their politics--and you should know very well that there are atheists as well as believers who oppose your political leanings.

Oh, what I find amazing is most Christians have NO IDEA what's in the bible because their Priests and Nuns "Disneyfy" the presentation of it. In fact, I never heard the story of Jephthah the Gileadite (You know, the asshole who butchered and burned his virgin daughter as a sacrifice to Yahweh because he was terrified God would punish him for not fulfilling a badly worded oath) in 12 years of Catholic Brainwashing. Nope. Wasn't a story anyone wanted to tell us, for some reason. Kind of clashed with the equally horrible story of how God insisted that Abraham sacrifice Isaac as a loyalty test.
What you received--and then never pursued--was an introduction to the Bible presented at childhood level. Discussing the Bible with you makes this clear. It is Middle School level at best. Sorry you didn't read more of the Bible on your own, or listen to the Old Testament readings at Mass. That story was always there. It didn't suddenly make itself known on the day you first read it. As we discussed before, you still have no understanding of it--nor do you wish to understand. Look intently, but you shall not see.

When you clowns stop trying to ban abortion and gay marriage or claiming you don't have to pay for family planning services for yoru employees because you need that money to buy fake Bible Artifacts, THEN I'll stop worrying about you.
Listen to yourself. What do you call atheists who are not in favor of abortion or gay marriage? This is a political issue that you are arguing. Ask any pastor of any denominations and he/she can tell you his/her congregation membership has opposing views over these political issues.

Beyond that, I do have a fascination with mythology in general. I've very well versed in Greek and Norse mythology. The thing is, I don't have to really point out that Zeus was a little rapey is a bad thing because no one is trying to impose Zeus as a moral guide today.
No one is trying to impose anything on you. You are a free man with your opinions. Everyone else is the same.

There's absolutely ZERO evidence that the Hebrews ever lived in Egypt. They didn't have "Egyptian" names. Egyptian names were actually kind of complicated. The Hebrew language and the Egyptian Language - totally different.
This merely tells me how well read and how much research you have actually done.

Joe, I know you are the one who is deluded. The Church is not trying to impose beliefs on anyone. Everything that you see today goes through a political agenda. In this country, people have a right to their politics--and you should know very well that there are atheists as well as believers who oppose your political leanings.

Sure they are... they are trying to ban abortion, they are trying to roll back gay marriage... the worst thing they do is support the GOP because they be RIGHT WITH JAY-A-ZUS... and we get guys like Trump who brags about grabbing women by the pussy.

This merely tells me how well read and how much research you have actually done.

Again, I've got a degree in history, what do you have?

Listen to yourself. What do you call atheists who are not in favor of abortion or gay marriage?

Morons..

That's what I call them. Useful idiots. These are how the One Percent trick stupid people into voting against their own economic interests.

I'm saying I learned it at a university that didn't teach about Talking Snakes... so there's that.
So, not taking any adult classes on the topic, your understanding still remains at second grade level? (Both about the Biblical story and your understanding of literature?) It is like you are in quicksand, Joe, and I sure hate to watch that pulling you under.

You may have decided God does not exist, but that does not excuse illiteracy, spouting off about an account you have never understood with any depth greater than the average five-year-old. Listen carefully, but you shall not hear...

Be at peace with being an atheist and try to accept that people of faith are beyond your understanding. I have tried to help you understand what else there is to see, but both of us need to accept however closely Biblical understanding comes to you, you will never see. And that is okay. Just wish you could give up the tales you tell yourself, but I don't think that will happen either.

You take the last post if you want it. I am on to other things, but I do hope to see you around. Good talking with you.

So, not taking any adult classes on the topic, your understanding still remains at second grade level? (Both about the Biblical story and your understanding of literature?) It is like you are in quicksand, Joe, and I sure hate to watch that pulling you under.

Nope, I just don't mistake Christian Wishful Thinking for actual history.

The reality- we have this whole field of archaeology called "Egyptology". The study of ancient Egypt. They haven't found on shred that the Egyptians had the Hebrews as slaves. No, the Pyramids were not the Grain Silos of Joseph like Dr. Ben Carson claimed.

If anything, the evidence is that the Hebrews and later the Christians really cribbed a lot from the Egyptians, not the other way around. The story of Jesus is a lot like the story of Osiris, another guy who came back from the dead with fairy stories about an afterlife.

Be at peace with being an atheist and try to accept that people of faith are beyond your understanding. I have tried to help you understand what else there is to see, but both of us need to accept however closely Biblical understanding comes to you, you will never see. And that is okay. Just wish you could give up the tales you tell yourself, but I don't think that will happen either.

I understand "people of faith" all too well. They live in a world of delusion and magical thinking because they are afraid of death. There's really not much else to see. It will be a great day when Jehovah is thrown on the same scrapheap of history as Osiris and Zeus.

You take the last post if you want it. I am on to other things, but I do hope to see you around. Good talking with you.

OOOO, I love the passive-aggressive "turn the other cheek" bullshit you guys do... it's hilarious.

Look, again, if your fairy tales are the only thing keeping you from going on that homicidal rampage, by all means, keep doing that.

Nope, I just don't mistake Christian Wishful Thinking for actual history.

The reality- we have this whole field of archaeology called "Egyptology". The study of ancient Egypt. They haven't found on shred that the Egyptians had the Hebrews as slaves. No, the Pyramids were not the Grain Silos of Joseph like Dr. Ben Carson claimed.

If anything, the evidence is that the Hebrews and later the Christians really cribbed a lot from the Egyptians, not the other way around. The story of Jesus is a lot like the story of Osiris, another guy who came back from the dead with fairy stories about an afterlife.

I understand "people of faith" all too well. They live in a world of delusion and magical thinking because they are afraid of death. There's really not much else to see. It will be a great day when Jehovah is thrown on the same scrapheap of history as Osiris and Zeus.

OOOO, I love the passive-aggressive "turn the other cheek" bullshit you guys do... it's hilarious.

Look, again, if your fairy tales are the only thing keeping you from going on that homicidal rampage, by all means, keep doing that.
There are several people in this forum, you being one of them, whose mission is to subordinate faith in God.

I can tell from your behavior that worshipping created things instead of the creator has led you to being less than the best version of yourself that you could be.

So your animosity towards people of faith is only hurting yourself, Joey.

There are several people in this forum, you being one of them, whose mission is to subordinate faith in God.

I can tell from your behavior that worshipping created things instead of the creator has led you to being less than the best version of yourself that you could be.

I'm very happy with this version of myself, thanks. I'm proficient in my professional field. I'm happy with a long life of accomplishment. I'm pushing up against 60 and pretty happy with what I've done.

And I've accomplished it all without following any magic sky pixies with sexual hangups

Now, back to ignore with you. I'm unwatching this thread.

I'm very happy with this version of myself, thanks. I'm proficient in my professional field. I'm happy with a long life of accomplishment. I'm pushing up against 60 and pretty happy with what I've done.

And I've accomplished it all without following any magic sky pixies with sexual hangups

Now, back to ignore with you. I'm unwatching this thread.
I can’t imagine a more worse version of you.

Forum List

Back