Zone1 It looks like "repetitious prayer" is only wrong when you expect to GET something tangible from God for it

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
We've all heard or read the Scripture that says something against repetitious prayer, that when one does that, he is thinking he will be heard due to the number of his words/prayers

Well, there you have it: He thinks that by praying often God will give him exactly what he wants. Obviously, that is not a good way to pray (although it beats not praying at all).

Repeating words that get your mind to focus on the Life of Christ, on the other hand (the rosary), are hardly forbidden! I'd tend to think such should be encouraged but alas... the naysayers keep on naysaying

When people were asked by the pope to pray for the Battle of Lepanto, they obeyed and won that war against the Muslims despite being outnumbered.

Last edited:
I don't ask God for anything....I don't want to call down undue attention from Him upon me. ;)
Ths is a very interesting comment. There is a passage in the January readings of the Catholic Mass that addresses this.

In Genesis or Exodus, the Israelites said to Moses something to the effect that they did not want to hear from God anymore, didn't want to "see this fire... lest we die."

And God did not argue with that. In fact He said "This is well said."

And that is when He .. probably the 1st time .. had Moses prophesy about "one who would be raised up among them (the Chosen People) who would guide them, and Him they would listen to (or could, anyhow). That was a prophecy about Jesus Christ, who came from the family of King David.

Ths is a very interesting comment. There is a passage in the January readings of the Catholic Mass that addresses this.

In Genesis or Exodus, the Israelites said to Moses something to the effect that they did not want to hear from God anymore, didn't want to "see this fire... lest we die."

And God did not argue with that. In fact He said "This is well said."

And that is when He .. probably the 1st time .. had Moses prophesy about "one who would be raised up among them (the Chosen People) who would guide them, and Him they would listen to (or could, anyhow). That was a prophecy about Jesus Christ, who came from the family of King David.
Sometimes simplistic notions are the best notions. ;)

Sometimes simplistic notions are the best notions. ;)
well, the key word here is Sometimes.

Sometimes we have to tackle things that at first (at least) appear complicated. I'm sure the Catholic faith LOOKS complicated to those on the outside looking in, but I've found that the more I study and learn about it, the more simple it looks. It is very LOGICAL.

The bigger charity, the more money will pour in, in answer to their ability to be heard the most, the most often and the loudest by millions of generous people.
The god is being pranked, but perhaps he hasn't been allowed in on the games.

well, the key word here is Sometimes.

Sometimes we have to tackle things that at first (at least) appear complicated. I'm sure the Catholic faith LOOKS complicated to those on the outside looking in, but I've found that the more I study and learn about it, the more simple it looks. It is very LOGICAL.
Logicly fleecing the rubes is more like it....They have that down to a artform.

Logicly fleecing the rubes is more like it....They have that down to a artform.

that's what you've been told. THere are MANY sincere priests. I've known some who actually cared about homeless people and others in need. The Catholic Church is the most lied about "thing" in history EVER

I don't think Jesus was disparaging people who simply have TRUST issues-- and i'm sure Jesus did not have to wait until the 21st century to know what Trust issues are.

So when someone often repeats certain prayers, maybe it is because the person has serious trust issues... This would include victims of egregious child abuse/neglect, those who have been through other hideous things, and especially when one has had BOTH.

I myself have often struggled to trust God. I know in my head He is trustworthy, but...

4 words suffice

Life on Planet Earth!!

OMG

Who can trust after living in this hellhole more than, say, 30 years?

In the passage against repetitious prayer Jesus specifically says that this is the kind in which people think they will be heard bc of their many words...

When I pray the rosary, I am rarely, if ever, asking God for anything. I learned a long time ago that HE knows what His will is for me and for everyone else. I often do not know His will for me--- because I am human, because I have a lot on my plate, because of many, many things. So when I pick up a rosary, it is for "things in general...". It is often so as to escape into the world of CHRIST (envisioning His life through the Passion and Resurrection..) and escaping the unholy world we live in

In no way does this, what I've written, say everything vis a vis the rosary and yours truly...

We've all heard or read the Scripture that says something against repetitious prayer, that when one does that, he is thinking he will be heard due to the number of his words/prayers

Well, there you have it: He thinks that by praying often God will give him exactly what he wants. Obviously, that is not a good way to pray (although it beats not praying at all).

Repeating words that get your mind to focus on the Life of Christ, on the other hand (the rosary), are hardly forbidden! I'd tend to think such should be encouraged but alas... the naysayers keep on naysaying

When people were asked by the pope to pray for the Battle of Lepanto, they obeyed and won that war against the Muslims despite being outnumbered.
Except you understand it the exact OPPOSITE of how it is intended.
You can say a different prayer every day not be paying attention.

Jesus taught the Our Father and it was said by the entire Church all through its history. Is that good or bad repitition ??? IT IS NEITHER OF NECESSITY, depends on you.

Forum List

Back