2012 Presidential Debate - Townhall

Who Will Win Tonight's Debate

• Total voters
Jason Chaffetz Admits House GOP Cut Funding For Embassy Security: 'You Have To Prioritize Things'

On Wednesday morning, CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien asked the Utah Republican if he had "voted to cut the funding for embassy security."

"Absolutely," Chaffetz said. "Look we have to make priorities and choices in this country. We have…15,000 contractors in Iraq. We have more than 6,000 contractors, a private army there, for President Obama, in Baghdad. And we’re talking about can we get two dozen or so people into Libya to help protect our forces. When you’re in tough economic times, you have to make difficult choices. You have to prioritize things.”

For the past two years, House Republicans have continued to deprioritize the security forces protecting State Department personnel around the world. In fiscal year 2011, lawmakers shaved $128 million off of the administration's request for embassy security funding. House Republicans drained off even more funds in fiscal year 2012 -- cutting back on the department's request by $331 million.

U.S. official says superiors worked against effort to boost Benghazi security - CNN.com

Libya Security Lapse: The Budget for Embassy Security Is Not Responsible

special-libya-security-coll.jpg

Top Revelations from Libya Hearing - By Katrina Trinko - The Corner - National Review Online

Top Revelations from Libya Hearing - By Katrina Trinko - The Corner - National Review Online
5. Nordstrom and Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Wood, a Utah National Guard member who had led a security team in Libya , were both frustrated by the lack of support from the State Department on granting security requests. “Mr. Nordstrom, do you think they were ever going to give you what you wanted?” asked Representative Jim Jordan (R., Ohio). “What do you think would warrant them saying “You know what, these guys know what they’re talking about and we’re going to meet their request?”

“Thank you for asking that question,” responded Nordstrom. “I actually had that conversation when I came back on leave and for training in February. I was told by the Regional Director for Near Eastern Affairs that there had ‘only been one incident involving an American’ where he was struck by celebratory fire, it was one of Colonel Wood’s employees. The takeaway from that, for me and my staff, it was abundantly clear, we were not going to get resources until the aftermath of an incident. And the question that we would ask is, again, ‘How thin does the ice have to get before someone falls through?’”

Romney thinks he can win by whining and Monday Morning Quarterbacking?

Good luck to him

typical libtard response. Pointing out the complete clusterfuck of a foreign policy failure of Obama is 'Monday morning quarterbacking'.

Second time Romney got his ass handed to him in trying to politicize the Libya tragedy

Think he has learned from his mistakes?

Romney thinks he can win by whining and Monday Morning Quarterbacking?

Good luck to him

typical libtard response. Pointing out the complete clusterfuck of a foreign policy failure of Obama is 'Monday morning quarterbacking'.

Second time Romney got his ass handed to him in trying to politicize the Libya tragedy

Think he has learned from his mistakes?

nah...he'll try to do it again at the foreign policy debate.

Look for Team Zero to be hitting states that were once though safe for him...

The Desperation Tour...

uh huh... we can pretend that...

meanwhile, he's still got over a 60% probability of winning according to fivethirtyeight... and intrade agrees.

not a bad position to be in.

After last night, Obama will be back on track anyway. Can't wait for those fucking polls at Real Clear to change. They just keep those old polls on the list to keep these two in a seemingly tight race.

The Desperation Tour...

meanwhile, he's still got over a 60% probability of winning according to fivethirtyeight... and intrade agrees.

Don't bet the house, Jilly... He is not going to get a D+7 turnout like 2008...

Barry has the base, but NOT the independents... NOT the Reagan democrats...

He's not seen as a leader in any category...

His performance did nothing to sway people to pull the lever for him...

You know I love ya, but start getting used to saying President Romney....

Barry and facts just have no relationship what so ever. The part about the oil leases on federal lands, gas prices... my God he's the President of the United States and either A: He's really stupid, or B: He's lying like a freakin rug. Any takers on both A and B? Crowley showed her bias with the Libya thing. She is wrong and she stands up for Barry. Gee, color me surprised (NOT! - Another CNN hack).

Romney had a thousand openings to land a major blow and didn't take the opportunity. Course, he's fighting both Barry and Crowley so he has his hands full.

At least 'Uncle Joe' was entertaining... really ignorant, but entertaining.

The Desperation Tour...

bubbalah... unlike the rightwingnuts who really have no interest in any discussion beyond their efforts at annoying lefties... (notice i used the word 'efforts' there)... i have never once thought anything was a given.

i think you will see a close election and i am fairly certain you will be wringing your hands when they call ohio for the president. will it be a late night? maybe. we'll see...

and while the president may not have 'swayed' people to him, he did stop the bleed... and romney is just a snotty unlikeable jerk... him trying to bully the moderator seems to be a pattern... people don't like that either... particularly women who you desperately need.

reality: if people liked mitt, he'd already have a slam dunk.

but the economy is improving... the rightwing meme makes it look like, as they said from day one, they want us to fail.

that isn't helpful or anything that should garner respect.

so anyway, gomez, its far from over... and it's going to be a lloooooong 3 weeks.

cheers.

*edit* for me every issue comes back to the supreme court... and the thought of mittens using it as currency to pay back the religious right is sickening.

just how it is. *hugs*

Last edited:

bubbalah... unlike the rightwingnuts who really have no interest in any discussion beyond their efforts at annoying lefties... (notice i used the word 'efforts' there)... i have never once thought anything was a given.

i think you will see a close election and i am fairly certain you will be wringing your hands when they call ohio for the president. will it be a late night? maybe. we'll see...
There are states that will be going red that were considered safe for 0bama... Guarenteed... Watch where Barry goes down the stretch...

and while the president may not have 'swayed' people to him, he did stop the bleed...
Yet to be seen... check back in a few days..

and romney is just a snotty unlikeable jerk... him trying to bully the moderator seems to be a pattern... people don't like that either... particularly women who you desperately need.
Puhleeze.. Crowley is an 0bama hack... Proved how much the media is in the bag for 0bama... What an embarrassment...

reality: if people liked mitt, he'd already have a slam dunk.

but the economy is improving... the rightwing meme makes it look like, as they said from day one, they want us to fail.
No, it's not improving... Only the left thinks it is while out of work people on both sides struggle to pay the bills or ffind a full-time job...

that isn't helpful or anything that should garner respect.

so anyway, gomez, its far from over... and it's going to be a lloooooong 3 weeks.

cheers.
*cheers*

*edit* for me every issue comes back to the supreme court... and the thought of mittens using it as currency to pay back the religious right is sickening.

just how it is. *hugs*
SCOTUS is huge for me too... We just have different opinions on who should be on the bench... Night and day differences....lol

*hug*

So where are all the shit-talkers who were saying being questioned on Benghazi was going to be the President's undoing?

:badgrin:
He had to be bailed out by the "moderator" and a shill audience that wasn't supposed to applaud anything, after getting called out on lying his ass off.

Oh no.

Mittens wanted to call the Prez out on some kind of Watergate-style conspiracy and instead he whiffed.Right on national TV. Right in front of millions.

That's what happened and that's how our so-called Liberal Media is reporting it, too.

:D

Obama acting like a child and constantly running to the moderator when Romney got to tough on him was pathetic.

Hey, I'm just curious: are you and others on here really pushing this spin because you believe it or are you just incapable of admitting your guy fucked up?

There are states that will be going red that were considered safe for 0bama... Guarenteed... Watch where Barry goes down the stretch...

those states didn't go for dems the prior two elections, did they? nope. they didn't.

Yet to be seen... check back in a few days..

fair enough

Puhleeze.. Crowley is an 0bama hack... Proved how much the media is in the bag for 0bama... What an embarrassment...

i disagree...she stomped on both their necks. you just don't like that didn't let romney bully her like he did to lehrer. now THAT was a joke. also, anyone 'in the bag' for obama wouldn't have started with libya. would they have? you do know she picked the questions. they had almost exactly equal air time... they got cut off almost equally...

you just don't like your candidate's answers.

No, it's not improving... Only the left thinks it is while out of work people on both sides struggle to pay the bills or ffind a full-time job...

i don't know why the right is so vested in seeing us as failures. well, yes, i do. but let's talk about reality and not the talking points...

the stock market is doubled
GM doing well (i know how the right hates hearing that so i like putting it up front, forgive me that bit of self-indulgence).
the housing market is up for the first time since the last administration
employment is down to 7.8%

now we can argue about the habitually unemployed and underemployed; we can argue about how to fix that; we can argue about the difficulty of paying student loans back when getting decent paying entry level jobs is so difficult.

but that isn't the sole fault of this president... not when even something as simple as raising the debt ceiling became an exercise in brinksmanship. do i think he should have done better being fired up and communicating... hell yeah.

but even with that... i've gotten a promotion and a raise since he took office
my husband got two promotions, along with raises, since he took office
my family's business is doing incredibly well, (knock wood and all that stuff)
and when i ask my rightwing dad and brother what's so terrible, and what he's done that anyone before him hasn't done...they sputter... they get annoyed... they tell me i'm not a 'job creator'. lol.. but really, reagan raised taxes 7 times. and taxes were 4% higher when clinton was president... going back to that rate at least for part of the population is common sense.. no matter what grover norquist says. and, sweetheart, before you ask me to give up all the things that make MY life easier and better... like roads, reasonable tolls and transit fares, funding to schools... funding at my place of employment which has gotten it's butt kicked because of cuts in federal funds to the state...

before you make those things worse for me, don't you think it's reasonable for there to be shared sacrifice? so again, other than the ranting and raving, i'm not seeing what's been so bad. he's not a 'great' president in the way that bill clinton was great... but he's fine. certainly better than the alternative.... which also brings with it the evisceration of every supreme court case that made me decide to be a lawyer.

true story.

SCOTUS is huge for me too... We just have different opinions on who should be on the bench... Night and day differences....lol

*hug*

i am always going to err on the side of the right to privacy.

go back to griswold v connecticut and loving v virginia

do you think those cases should be reversed?

because that's what we're talking about if people like scalia and thomas decide there is no right of privacy.

to me, the right of privacy is the cornerstone of our rights as citizens.

roe v wade struck a balance between when a woman's right to exercise dominion over her own body stopped and the governmental interest kicked in... it was fair then and it is fair now. and this really is a medical issue. it shouldn't be a political issue at all.

your personhood laws would have prevented me from having my son... also a true story. is that being pro-life?

why does the right only like government when it tells women what to do? surely i don't need some government to make my moral judgments for me.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back