187 year old thomas jefferson taken down in ny

Statues are just metal. It is what they commemorate and signify and teach by being there, by people seeing and looking at them and reading and touching their plaques-- -- -- seeing such a famous and historic figure there large as life and not just words on some webpage.

That's why we have museums and the like to go SEE history, rather than just to read about it in a book somewhere.
you explained why the statue should stay put/

you explained why the statue should stay put/

Exactly. Removing these statues does absolutely nothing about racism, it is simply a NEW form of discrimination. The Great Lie is that putting up a statue of an historic figure is racist just because he may have owned slaves centuries ago when that was commonplace. Statues don't promote racism, they commemorate important dates and events in history.

Aside form Race, I have a question:

If Ethics is Relative, how can anything be right or wrong?

This is an old philosophical question going beyond Politics.

They promote self aggrandising interpretations of a history written by those who erected the statues.

Are you really that petty? Why don't you start a new nation on a hostile foreign continent while erecting revolutionary new laws empowering men and liberty while struggling with the problems of the time then get back to us.

Are you really that petty? Why don't you start a new nation on a hostile foreign continent while erecting revolutionary new laws empowering men and liberty while struggling with the problems of the time then get back to us.
Awwww so sorry today's Americans aren't down for celebrating your hero slavers. So sad.

Exactly. Removing these statues does absolutely nothing about racism, it is simply a NEW form of discrimination. The Great Lie is that putting up a statue of an historic figure is racist just because he may have owned slaves centuries ago when that was commonplace. Statues don't promote racism, they commemorate important dates and events in history.
and thomas jefferson was more than just a slave owner too. the statue is also art.

Statues are just metal. It is what they commemorate and signify and teach by being there, by people seeing and looking at them and reading and touching their plaques-- -- -- seeing such a famous and historic figure there large as life and not just words on some webpage.

That's why we have museums and the like to go SEE history, rather than just to read about it in a book somewhere.
And this statue is going to the New York Historical Society to be displayed, according to the article. So that would seem to be the kind of thing you advocate for statues, yes?

They promote self aggrandising interpretations of a history written by those who erected the statues.
That’s no different than blm’s (self-agrandising [[selfish]) racist statement, ‘black lives matter’ written (the statue is silent) or spoken (the statement reifies the black race and by default functions more efficiently as an image if you‘re black. How a sign functions for the interpreter is out of your control.

I’m not arguing that it should be moved, only that moving it is not ‘erasing history’.

Well then, let me put it this way: They are not moving the statue from public sight in the park or wherever it was because they want to better promote the life of Thomas Jefferson. Clearly, those with an issue against Jefferson feel he is less prominent at his new location.

Well then, let me put it this way: They are not moving the statue from public sight in the park or wherever it was because they want to better promote the life of Thomas Jefferson. Clearly, those with an issue against Jefferson feel he is less prominent at his new location.
I’m not arguing that the statue will be as prominent in the new location. However, even were the statue being destroyed, Thomas Jefferson’s history would not have been erased. That is the idea I take issue with: that a statue is required for the history of a person or thing to be known.

Forum List

Back