Yet another attempt at Islamic indoctrination

Stereotype? Really? That makes it worse. We know what that hijab represents, suppression of women's rights.

No. It represents a woman's faith.

Are they including that in the lessons? Do they include the fact it is ok to stone a woman to death in Islam for NOT wearing the hijab in public?

What women are being stoned in the US for not wearing the hijab?

I wasn't aware that these women can be stoned in today's world for not wearing a head covering.
What is wrong with this picture?? Here we sit, in America, actually having liberals/progressives, tell us it is ok for schools to request students to wear a hijab to show empathy for a religion that subjugates their women, by treating them as chattel. The very same people that scream sexism if you dare question a woman by asking her to shush so you can get a word in edgewise.

Am I mad or what??

Not all Muslims subjugate their women and treat them as chattel. Would you be as upset if it were Hindus? Or Orthodox Jews? Or fundamentalist Christians?

I think most ethnic groups have done their share of evil at one time or the other. Not just muslims.

More diversion. We are talking about the rampant murders of Christians and gays right now. And yet Muslims demand that we tolerate them without doing the same in return.

Can you comment specifically on Muslims since that is the topic? Why do liberals always change the subject to the crusades or other ancient history when we have an estimated 300 million radical muslims causing problems now? We're not talking about the past here, rather a problem that seems to be growing now and the politically correct leaders who refuse to discuss it openly.

I wasn't aware that these women can be stoned in today's world for not wearing a head covering.

In today's world? Far as I know, in most places no women are stoned.

There was a video recently of a father killing his daughter because he believed she cheated on her husband. Yes, these types of killings continue.

Not all Muslims subjugate their women and treat them as chattel. Would you be as upset if it were Hindus? Or Orthodox Jews? Or fundamentalist Christians?

Yes, idiot, but why do you always take shots at other religions instead of coming out and criticizing muslims for doing this?

Coyote, the lessons where they were requested to wear thehijab, was on Islam, to find empathy for the religion. This was NOT about anything else. You and others are trying to obfuscate, rather than discuss the facts these girls were requested to wear the hijab.

Mason principal cancels Muslim event apologizes

The event was meant to combat stereotypes students may face when wearing head coverings, McCarty-Stewart wrote, but "as the event spread beyond our school community, however, we received many strong messages that made me reconsider the event's ability to meet its objectives.

"I now realize that as adults we should have given our students better guidance. After much consideration and after talking with the student event organizers, we have canceled the event."

The Covered Girl Challenge was initially scheduled for April 23. Female students who wanted to participate would wear a headscarf, or hijab, for the entire school day. Then, there would be a time for discussion and reflection.

I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is here. It's voluntary. It's not indoctrination. It's not teaching a religion. It's trying to combat stereotypes.

What a hideous over reaction.
The big deal really comes in the fact that this is not equal treatment. This voluntary event is fine and dandy but when a student asks to have a bible study group with fellow students they are rejected on the grounds that it is a religious act.
IOW, this is the type of faux outrage you get when you enforce concepts like separation of church and state to idiotic and stupid levels. None of this would not be an issue if there was not so much screaming centered around Christian events and practices.

All major religions should be taught in all schools, all of them. If it's worth blowing your ass up, and that of two dozen others, then it's worth understanding.

The aren't teaching the truth about radical Islam. They make it sound all rosy and want students to feel sorry for them.

They don't do that with other religions, despite the fact that more Christians and Jews are attacked by Muslims than vice versa.

I doubt most students would feel good about wearing head coverings. Doesn't sound pro-islam to me.

In today's world? Far as I know, in most places no women are stoned.

There was a video recently of a father killing his daughter because he believed she cheated on her husband. Yes, these types of killings continue.

We were talking about stoning women for not wearing a headscarf.

They happen, but in western countries it's pretty rare.

Yes, idiot, but why do you always take shots at other religions instead of coming out and criticizing muslims for doing this?

Because you guys are so hypocritical :)

What is wrong with this picture?? Here we sit, in America, actually having liberals/progressives, tell us it is ok for schools to request students to wear a hijab to show empathy for a religion that subjugates their women, by treating them as chattel. The very same people that scream sexism if you dare question a woman by asking her to shush so you can get a word in edgewise.

Am I mad or what??
yep, mad...

Coyote, the lessons where they were requested to wear thehijab, was on Islam, to find empathy for the religion. This was NOT about anything else. You and others are trying to obfuscate, rather than discuss the facts these girls were requested to wear the hijab.

The event was meant to combat stereotypes students may face when wearing head coverings, McCarty-Stewart wrote, but "as the event spread beyond our school community, however, we received many strong messages that made me reconsider the event's ability to meet its objectives.

"I now realize that as adults we should have given our students better guidance. After much consideration and after talking with the student event organizers, we have canceled the event."

The Covered Girl Challenge was initially scheduled for April 23. Female students who wanted to participate would wear a headscarf, or hijab, for the entire school day. Then, there would be a time for discussion and reflection.

I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is here. It's voluntary. It's not indoctrination. It's not teaching a religion. It's trying to combat stereotypes.

The big deal really comes in the fact that this is not equal treatment. This voluntary event is fine and dandy but when a student asks to have a bible study group with fellow students they are rejected on the grounds that it is a religious act.
IOW, this is the type of faux outrage you get when you enforce concepts like separation of church and state to idiotic and stupid levels. None of this would not be an issue if there was not so much screaming centered around Christian events and practices.

Except that it is a religious act. It would be the same thing if a Muslim student group wanted to conduct a prayer session. Wearing a hajib is not for the purpose of trying to understand discrimmination is not a religious event.

Except that it is a religious act. It would be the same thing if a Muslim student group wanted to conduct a prayer session. Wearing a hajib is not for the purpose of trying to understand discrimmination is not a religious event.
There is no real difference – the hijab is a religious garment. It is no different than the yamaka. It is essentially worn exclusively by Islamic women.

Trying to label it differently really does nothing.

There is no real difference – the hijab is a religious garment. It is no different than the yamaka. It is essentially worn exclusively by Islamic women.

It's a religious garment but it's not being used in a religious context. It's being used to as part of an exercise in discrimmination. There's no prayers, etc etc. The same exercise could be done with a yamaka in fact.

The exercise becomes "non-religious" if similar kinds of "exercises" are imposed on all -----persons prone to experience bias because of the outward indicators
of their religion do not involve only muslims. A nice long list can be elaborated and---all of them "experienced" by the entire student body. <<<< that would be a justifiable program. -----I have a terrific idea-----since non muslims are prevented
from entering mecca and medina-----muslim students should be barred from visiting the local pizza/falafel joint and the playground. Such a program would HELP them gain understanding. Mormons wear weird underwear------
all the kids should be required to wear the weird underwear for at least
a month

Sure-
World Hijab Day | Rehmat's World

rehmat1.com/2015/02/01/world-hijab-day

Today, Muslim women activists around the world are celebrating first World Hijab Day by holding seminars, interfaith dialogues and rallies to educate the public that ...

"Converts to Islam" | Facebook

www.facebook.com/pages/Converts-to-Islam

I am a new Muslim convert/revert and I know I have to learn more about my new religion and promised myself to work ... "Converts to Islam" sharedWorld Hijab Day's photo.

“I believe the concept of bringing attention to the modest attire that Islam encourages women to wear is something extremely positive and beneficial, especially in today’s fashion-obsessed and scantily-clad societies. Allah created us to love modesty, and modesty is a part of faith. Projects such as the ‘Word Hijab Day’ help us spread these values and showcase our religion in a positive manner.”

Dr. Yasir Qadhi
“One of the most influential conservative clerics in American Islam.”-New York Times Magazine

“World Hijab Day is a beautiful & peaceful initiative to create public awareness of the modest attire that Islam encourages women to wear. It’s not an act of worship nor a festival, but rather a powerful platform to spread the noble teachings & values of Islam globally.”

Sheikh Muiz Bukhary

CEO, Sakeenah Institute; Imaam & Khateeb (preacher), Wellawatte Jumu’ah Masjid in Colombo, Sri Lanka

It's a religious garment but it's not being used in a religious context. It's being used to as part of an exercise in discrimmination. There's no prayers, etc etc. The same exercise could be done with a yamaka in fact.

Forum List

Back