WTF is wrong with a civil union?

Marriage has ALWAYS been defined as between a man and a woman. It is centuries of tradition. A civil union can be created to give all the same perks as traditional marriage so what's the big fucking deal? Is this just a ploy to diminish the traditional values of most Americans or just a political weapon to divide the people? Cause it sure seems so since there is an alternative that achieves the same goal, civil union legislation.

I mean this is considered an "alternative" lifestyle so why the push for a traditional label that has long been honored by everyone?

Many of you claim some of us are against equal treatment but you're wrong. You can have equal treatment but you don't need to trash traditional values to achieve it.

Actually, marriage has been redefined throughout history. For most of history, it was the giving away of property, because women were considered property.

As for what's wrong with a "Civil Union".

Same thing that's wrong with a Water Fountain marked "Colored" that isn't quite as nice as the one marked "White".

dirtyharry.jpg

Yah know, for once I agree with liberals who say that celebrities should just stay out of politics.

I'd seen that earlier, but didn't read it, but reading it now, it lowers my opinion of Clint Eastwood ten fold. I hope before I see his next movie, I can forget he said something so idiotic.

And, truthfully, I agree with the concept, but it reads like an idiot wrote it.

Immie

Yah know, for once I agree with liberals who say that celebrities should just stay out of politics.

I'd seen that earlier, but didn't read it, but reading it now, it lowers my opinion of Clint Eastwood ten fold. I hope before I see his next movie, I can forget he said something so idiotic.

Immie

i think people should speak their minds so long as they hurt no one. i don't think there was anything idiotic about what he said.

for the record, he didn't "write it". it was said during the course of an interview, so i don't know what came before or after.

as long as we can agree, in concept, that no one should really care who consenting adults love, then it's all good.

I say we should have civil unions for everyone.

If you want a religious marriage then get one.

Thaat way religious types can keep the word marriage
Picks up various objects and drops them to see if gravity is still working....

I agree.

Damn, I feel so dirty...

Immie

i think people should speak their minds so long as they hurt no one. i don't think there was anything idiotic about what he said.

for the record, he didn't "write it". it was said during the course of an interview, so i don't know what came before or after.

as long as we can agree, in concept, that no one should really care who consenting adults love, then it's all good.

The man is supposed to be intelligent. If he speaks like TDM then he should stay out of politics.

Immie

Immie

The man is supposed to be intelligent. If he speaks like TDM then he should stay out of politics.

Immie

:lmao:

he's not *in* politics. he was simply giving his opinion.

i prefer to stick with the things we can agree on.

When you go to city hall and pay your money.... do they give you a marriage license...or a civil union license?

They give you a MARRIAGE license. You pay the state for a MARRIAGE license.

When you file joint taxes... they ask for your marriage status... not your civil union status.

Immie

:lmao:

he's not *in* politics. he was simply giving his opinion.

i prefer to stick with the things we can agree on.

I beg your pardon.... :lol:

This is the man who ran for mayor on an ice cream platform.... and won.

I've always thought that the solution to satisfy the most people, and actually the most acceptable for those who support separation of church and state, as well as government not defining marriage, would be to make civil unions for all (of course you'd have to grandfather in all those already given marriage licenses by the government), and then people who want to be united in holy matrimony have that ceremony performed by the religious institution of their choice. Those wanting the benefits and protections under the law would choose civil unions, and any couples wanting a ceremony blessed by God, could be married in addition to the legal civil union. It seems to me that this would be the fastest way for gays to achieve equal rights because enough on the right would agree, so it confuses me that more people who support gay rights don't just take up this idea so the goal can be accomplished now...unless it's just become an issue of stubbornness and cutting off their nose to spite their face.

When you go to city hall and pay your money.... do they give you a marriage license...or a civil union license?

When you file joint taxes... they ask for your marriage status... not your civil union status.
Thats right, and that is the problem.

Government has no business being in the marriage license game, or the marriage game at all. We need to change the laws so that government is not a part of the process.

A civil union provides for all the benefits of a marriage and should be the ONLY method of recognized joining of two people as far as the state goes.

You want to be married, go see a preacher, but don't expect a religious joining to be recognized by government. Because is should not be.

Marriage has ALWAYS been defined as between a man and a woman. It is centuries of tradition. A civil union can be created to give all the same perks as traditional marriage so what's the big fucking deal? Is this just a ploy to diminish the traditional values of most Americans or just a political weapon to divide the people? Cause it sure seems so since there is an alternative that achieves the same goal, civil union legislation.

I mean this is considered an "alternative" lifestyle so why the push for a traditional label that has long been honored by everyone?

Many of you claim some of us are against equal treatment but you're wrong. You can have equal treatment but you don't need to trash traditional values to achieve it.

This is a Republican argument they use but they don't really mean it. Because in all reality, in the governments eyes, that's all marriage is anyways, a civil union.

But you are being dishonest. Because you don't really want them to have the same benefits a same sex couple gets. The tax breaks, sharing healthcare benefits, etc. We have seen the GOP attack same sex "domestic partners" everywhere we have GOP governors. Michigan Snyder said no government employee can have their gay spouse on their healthcare. That is a very regressive position to take.

Remember, we don't care what you do in your Mosque, Synagoge or Church. Gay people don't need them to get married. They can just go to the justice of the piece. And if they want to say they are "married", who are you to say they are not? So can they only say this is my civilly unionized partner or can they say husband or wife depending on the circumstances? Can they get divorced or should we call that something diferent too?

Fact is, you righties are not seperating church and state. And you say you like the constitution? :eusa_liar:

You discriminated against blacks, and you were wrong. And you are wrong for the same reasons now. Deal with it. :lol:

Thats right, and that is the problem.

Government has no business being in the marriage license game, or the marriage game at all. We need to change the laws so that government is not a part of the process.

A civil union provides for all the benefits of a marriage and should be the ONLY method of recognized joining of two people as far as the state goes.

You want to be married, go see a preacher, but don't expect a religious joining to be recognized by government. Because is should not be.

You can get "married" as many times as you want by any religious you want...and it means zip, zero, nada.

The ONLY thing that matters is that state license. THAT is the marriage.... the rest is show, feel good.... fluff.

And.. what about the churches that do marry gay couples? Are the nay sayers going to deny them too?

The very term GAY MARRIAGE defines it as "something different"

I simply gave it a more non judgemental term. No matter how you spin it IT IS OUT OF THE NORM thereby different.

Gay marriage is just marriage, idiot. The term gay marriage is used to bring light to the situation that it's involving the rights of gay individuals to get married.

Married gay people are not "gay married"... they are just married, through the process of marriage.

Gay in Gay Marriage is only used as a qualifier for discussing the political implications that is plaguing our country.

You mean its a means to divide the country. A civil union law accomplishes each request for equality. Except equality isn't the goal.

Now stfu and put vinegar on that thumb you've been sucking.

Well suck up dirt bag, it's divided because backwards people like you want to stay stuck in the past.

If you feel divided over this issue, fine, I don't give a shit. Your type is just going to be an ideology of the past when it comes to thoughts against homosexuals.

Marriage has never been set in stone in history, in regards to what it means.

Last edited:

Would a civil union have all the same features and benefits as a marriage? Seperate but equal?

"In New Mexico, Alan M. Malott, a judge at the district level, affirmed a state Civil Rights Commission order that two lesbians were allowed to force two photography company owners to violate their religious beliefs by photographing a same-sex “wedding,” even though that ceremony was not legal in the state.

The case developed in 2006 when two lesbians asked Elaine Huguenin, co-owner with her husband, Jon Huguenin, of Elane Photography in Albuquerque, to photograph a “ceremony” that Willock and another woman wanted to hold in Taos. Neither marriage nor civil unions are legal between members of the same sex in New Mexico.

Elaine Huguenin declined because of her and her husband’s Christian beliefs.

The state ordered a $6,600 fine imposed on the company.

[Judge] Malott said his ruling was based on the fact that homosexuals are granted special protections not given to other groups under state law."."

NC voters to decide on future of marriage | Greeley Gazette

This is why 'civil unions' are unacceptable:

They are not marriages as the term is currently defined. They are an unnatural union.

If you agree with this Gramps, you may be in the Klan

There is little doubt that the walls are coming down and unless there is a real spiritual awakening in this country we will see the day when the churches will back down and begin admitting queers in mass.

It was at this time that I told him that these same churches will, in time, freely admit homosexuals into their congregations, followed by the performance of same-sex marriages.

But we see it happening now. Homosexuality is at the door. Many schools have in their library a video called, It's Elementary, which blatantly promotes the homosexual agenda.

I stand by my prediction. Most and I mean most churches will begin forgiving, then tolerating, and then inviting and then encouraging and finally performing same-sex marriages.

I Know most of you will disagree with me. But if the church you are going to now does not have the moral courage to condemn interracial marriages from the pulpit, they like wise will not be able to stand against homosexuals as they come marching through their doors.

Unless we separate ourselves from this moral dilemma, there is little doubt that same-sex marriages will be legal in only a few years.

When that happens, it will be come the law, and a new door will open that will flood homosexuals into every corner of America.

And those churches that could not find the moral courage to stand against integration -will also lack the moral courage to stand against homosexuals who beat at their door for acceptance and promotion.

The KKK and It's Beliefs On Homosexuality

Last edited:
"In New Mexico, Alan M. Malott, a judge at the district level, affirmed a state Civil Rights Commission order that two lesbians were allowed to force two photography company owners to violate their religious beliefs by photographing a same-sex “wedding,” even though that ceremony was not legal in the state.

The case developed in 2006 when two lesbians asked Elaine Huguenin, co-owner with her husband, Jon Huguenin, of Elane Photography in Albuquerque, to photograph a “ceremony” that Willock and another woman wanted to hold in Taos. Neither marriage nor civil unions are legal between members of the same sex in New Mexico.

Elaine Huguenin declined because of her and her husband’s Christian beliefs.

The state ordered a $6,600 fine imposed on the company.

[Judge] Malott said his ruling was based on the fact that homosexuals are granted special protections not given to other groups under state law."."

NC voters to decide on future of marriage | Greeley Gazette

What, I'm not gonna videotape a Jewish wedding because I'm a Christian? The Crusader violated contract law. Sorry.

How come people who know gay people get it but ignorant hillbillies down south don't? We don't say nothin when they marry their cousins.

Immie

Immie

Eastwood has been involved in politics for quite awhile. He even served as mayor of Santa Monica for a few terms.

Forum List

Back