Windows 10

I like that it has the number of items and free space at the bottom of the window along with the search at the top and the side bar folders. Is that the standard install, or would I have to tweek it? I tried a different Linux distro a couple of years ago and I found I missed that stuff. I can't remember what distro but I know it was not Mint.

I have made very little tweaks. Only changed into a dark theme because I like a dark screen.
So what you see there is by default.
I installed it on a very old Dell 8500 Pentium 4 laptop and it seems to work quite well.

I think you will like it.
It has less overhead than ubuntu.

Well this is interesting. Just now on the news they said the Dept. of the Navy is still using XP since they have some legacy software they need and paying Microsoft 9 million a year to update it with security patches. Pretty nice gig if you can get it.

So they have updates, they just want to force people into buying more of their shit. Along with hardware, etc. Exactly why I dislike them so.

You're an idiot. Lots of scientific work and personal work is done on Linux. Many servers run it. Some countries use it officially. You don't know what you're babbling about. Drooling on your Microsoft baby bib is a poor substitute for information.

Ubuntu is based on Debian and Mint is based on Ubuntu. That doesn't make it the same. If you like Unity better that's your choice, there's many. I don't know what it is with you corporate goons but you need to get a grip with reality.

I get that you're a fanboi, however that hardly makes me an idiot. For the desktop, Linux is used primarily to create a very low cost environment, that 486 DX2 will run it, and it's free.

As for scientific work, I suppose Folding@Home is scientific. :dunno:

I have a friend who is a biologist who runs a frigging Mac - of course it's really just Word and Excel with the formula extensions.

But for serious CAD or CAM, Windows dominates - for good reason. Unix had it's run, but has declined.

The Windows Explorer has superior features. For example, click and hold the upper frame of a window and put it to the left or right side of the monitor using drag & drop and it will expand to that half of the screen place. Doing so with two windows creates a dual screen file manager. The ribbon menu offers the right features for your specific file types and the explorer natively supports iso image files. The breadcrumb navigation is superior to any other.

As for multi-desktop environments, the taskbar allows me to switch between programs with one click. Therefore, I don´t miss a second or more desktops.

I actually like the Unity functionality better in that regard. With Unity you can tile 4 windows into the corners using drag and drop. Aero does a better job with general docking, and the taskbar acts like a taskbar, with the screen section independent. With Unity, they have made the screen act like one giant taskbar, which is annoying and very mac-like.

Question - in Win8 + can you finally do a file search within the window you have open?
Example.....

zujfo1.jpg
Sure. It applies for the open directory and its subfolders.

Honest to God...what took them so long?
The ability to perform a search within a search is an extremely useful thing. It use to drive me nuts when I was a Sys Admin to have to go to a Mac to efficiently find folders/files in large data servers. Insane MS didn't do this 12 years ago or so like Mac/Linux.
How crazy was it that it was easier and quicker to walk to a users MacOs box to find things than standing at the terminal?

You have been able to do that at least since XP.

Nope..XP Professional here...if you click search, it just takes you to the horrible Windows Search.
I am not sure even Win 7 does it. Actually just verified it - Win 7 does do it, but only the folder you have open. So MS didn't do it till 2009.

ori26s.jpg

Last edited:

Nope..XP Professional here...if you click search, it just takes you to the horrible Windows Search.
I am not sure even Win 7 does it. Actually just verified it - Win 7 does do it, but only the folder you have open. So MS didn't do it till 2009.

ori26s.jpg

See the last field where it says "folder?"

The Windows Explorer has superior features. For example, click and hold the upper frame of a window and put it to the left or right side of the monitor using drag & drop and it will expand to that half of the screen place. Doing so with two windows creates a dual screen file manager. The ribbon menu offers the right features for your specific file types and the explorer natively supports iso image files. The breadcrumb navigation is superior to any other.

As for multi-desktop environments, the taskbar allows me to switch between programs with one click. Therefore, I don´t miss a second or more desktops.

I actually like the Unity functionality better in that regard. With Unity you can tile 4 windows into the corners using drag and drop. Aero does a better job with general docking, and the taskbar acts like a taskbar, with the screen section independent. With Unity, they have made the screen act like one giant taskbar, which is annoying and very mac-like.
The ribbon menu also features the copy to feature. That makes a dual screen unneccesary the most time.

ori26s.jpg
This is a powerful tool. And the explorer search bar was introduced with Vista btw, which is very similar to Win7.

The ribbon menu also features the copy to feature. That makes a dual screen unneccesary the most time.

I honestly find the multiple screens annoying - it tends to hide icons. Even on my phones I find it irritating. The biggest complaint I have with Windows 8 is that they don't present a unified place to find programs and features - Linux fanatics seem to think that scattering is an advantage...

I honestly find the multiple screens annoying - it tends to hide icons. Even on my phones I find it irritating. The biggest complaint I have with Windows 8 is that they don't present a unified place to find programs and features - Linux fanatics seem to think that scattering is an advantage...
It has. The startmenu folder is still there and when you install Startisback, programs that would automatically set start menu entries in "all programs", will do it with Win8 as well.

It has. The startmenu folder is still there and when you install Startisback, programs that would automatically set start menu entries in "all programs", will do it with Win8 as well.
I used the free Start Menu 8.

Start Menu 8 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

(glances up momentarily from Windows 98)

Is it better than this, or simply bigger, more bloated, and newer? :)

Your not using Window 98.
80% of the internet will not operate properly, if at all on that old of a browser/flash/etc.
There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing people trying to use a Win98 computer on webpages.

I have a computer that is happily running FreeDOS. The other three run different Linux distros.

I used the free Start Menu 8.

Start Menu 8 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
I recommend you Startisback. Startisback is much smaller and runs without an extra process, being a native startmenu that works even better than the Windows 7 Startmenu. It also has all its features and even more.
If you want it for free, you must download it from here:
Windows 8 Tips and Support Page 14 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Interesting...Windows 10 will share your Wifi password. It is pre-installed on all Windows 10 PC's

Microsoft Wi-Fi Sense will only provide internet access, and block connections to other things on the wireless LAN: "When you share network access, your contacts get internet access only. For example, if you share your home Wi-Fi network, your contacts won't have access to other computers, devices, or files stored on your home network."

That sounds wise – but we're not convinced how it will be practically enforced: if a computer is connected to a protected Wi-Fi network, it must know the key. And if the computer knows the key, a determined user or hacker will be able to find it within the system and use it to log into the network with full access.

In theory, someone who wanted access to your company network could befriend an employee or two, and drive into the office car park to be in range, and then gain access to the corporate wireless network.

The feature has been on Windows Phones since version 8.1. If you type the password into your Lumia, you won’t then need to type it into your laptop, because you are a friend of yourself. Given the meagre installed base of Windows Phones it's not been much of a threat – until now.

With every laptop running Windows 10 in the business radiating access, the security risk is significant. A second issue is that by giving Wi-Fi Sense access to your Facebook contacts, you are giving Microsoft a list of your Facebook friends, as well as your wireless passwords.

In an attempt to address the security hole it has created, Microsoft offers a kludge of a workaround: you must add _optout to the SSID (the name of your network) to prevent it from working with Wi-Fi Sense.

(So if you want to opt out of Google Maps and Wi-Fi Sense at the same time, you must change your SSID of, say, myhouse to myhouse_optout_nomap. Technology is great.)

Microsoft enables Windows 10's Wi-Fi Sense by default, and access to password-protected networks are shared with contacts unless the user remembers to uncheck a box when they first connect. Choosing to switch it off may make it a lot less useful, but would make for a more secure IT environment.

UH OH Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with your friends friends The Register

I will never buy a brand new Microsoft OS..

Microsoft uses the buying public as they beta testers.

I usually wait until the SP1 patch comes out before I think about it..

Forum List

Back