Windows 10

There is no need for my desktop to be "newer" or superior to other desktops. I just have to like it. And I like the ribbon menu of the Explorer, which is indeed superior. As Linux user, I would prefer Expicula but Windows has the superior Directory Opus, which I also use. It can do anything, replacing a lot of tools and is very customizable.

image.jpg
All along you said Windows was superior. Hmmm. Well, what's superior about Explorer vs file managers in Linux? Were's your multiple desktops? Wish I had that all the years I used Windows. All that shrinking and expanding programs, I don't miss it at all.
The Windows Explorer has superior features. For example, click and hold the upper frame of a window and put it to the left or right side of the monitor using drag & drop and it will expand to that half of the screen place. Doing so with two windows creates a dual screen file manager. The ribbon menu offers the right features for your specific file types and the explorer natively supports iso image files. The breadcrumb navigation is superior to any other.

As for multi-desktop environments, the taskbar allows me to switch between programs with one click. Therefore, I don´t miss a second or more desktops.

??
Linux does that too..if you click a window and drag it to the bottom corner, it automatically adjust to that half of the screen, if you open another window it will take up the other half...or you can drag towards the bottom, but not the corner, and it will take up a quarter of the screen. So you can have 4 namagers at the same time automatically sized.
Also - you can "tab" explore...exactly like tabbed browsing, multiple file manager "windows" within the same window.
As far as I know, Linux and Windows supports multiple desktops? Right?
I know both support multiple screens.
Multiple desktops is handy if you are multi-tasking, say working on 3-4 spreadsheets at the same time. The Alt-Tab is inferior because it only shows the office icon rather than which icon is which window. But that is not often used.

There is no need for my desktop to be "newer" or superior to other desktops. I just have to like it. And I like the ribbon menu of the Explorer, which is indeed superior. As Linux user, I would prefer Expicula but Windows has the superior Directory Opus, which I also use. It can do anything, replacing a lot of tools and is very customizable.

image.jpg
All along you said Windows was superior. Hmmm. Well, what's superior about Explorer vs file managers in Linux? Were's your multiple desktops? Wish I had that all the years I used Windows. All that shrinking and expanding programs, I don't miss it at all.
The Windows Explorer has superior features. For example, click and hold the upper frame of a window and put it to the left or right side of the monitor using drag & drop and it will expand to that half of the screen place. Doing so with two windows creates a dual screen file manager. The ribbon menu offers the right features for your specific file types and the explorer natively supports iso image files. The breadcrumb navigation is superior to any other.

As for multi-desktop environments, the taskbar allows me to switch between programs with one click. Therefore, I don´t miss a second or more desktops.

??
Linux does that too..if you click a window and drag it to the bottom corner, it automatically adjust to that half of the screen, if you open another window it will take up the other half...or you can drag towards the bottom, but not the corner, and it will take up a quarter of the screen. So you can have 4 namagers at the same time automatically sized.
This was introduced in Windows 7.

Also - you can "tab" explore...exactly like tabbed browsing, multiple file manager "windows" within the same window.
Multiple desktops is handy if you are multi-tasking, say working on 3-4 spreadsheets at the same time. The Alt-Tab is inferior because it only shows the office icon rather than which icon is which window. But that is not often used.
Windows 10 supports multi desktops.
Alt+Tab shows thumbnails of the screens. If you are using Vista, you can use Flip 3D:
6a0120a85dcdae970b012877702339970c-pi.jpg

Flip 3D is still implemented in Windows 7 but it is hidden. Create a shortcut with this path including the parameter:
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe DwmApi #105

image.jpg

??

Alt+Tab shows thumbnails of the screens. If you are using Vista, you can use Flip 3D:

Flip 3D is still implemented in Windows 7 but it is hidden. Create a shortcut with this path including the parameter:

So...again...they are both equally functional. Difference being Linux supported multi-desktops/tabbed windows like 15 years ago.
So not seeing the "superior" manager of Windows....

image.jpg

??

So...again...they are both equally functional. Difference being Linux supported multi-desktops/tabbed windows like 15 years ago.
So not seeing the "superior" manager of Windows....
Now you are comparing the standard Windows 8 file manager with "the best" of what linux file managers have to offer. Compare those with Directory Opus, instead. And how does tabbed navigation make any sense in file managers? The task bar can serve as tabs, as well.

I don´t know anything about Apple´s update policy. What is it about?
Actually, it is quite generous. All updates since 10.6 have been free and 10.6 only cost $20.

Apple doesn't even block installing the OS on Intel PCs, as long as they have the proper hardware. There are a number of sites that show you how to make your own "Hackintosh."

False. (at least you're consistent.)

So called hackintosh builds are illegal. The Apple TOS clearly prohibits running OSX on any non-Apple hardware.

{There is a reason we at LockerGnome don’t have Hackintosh tutorials on the site. It isn’t because these systems have a sketchy track record consisting of instability, a setup process that is usually too complex for the average user, or out of any fanboyism on the part of the writers. The primary reason is simply that doing so is in violation of the end-user license agreement (EULA) from Apple for OS X.}

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx107.pdf

As usual, you just make shit up, edtheliar.
Dunno, what this link mean. Can you help?
PC Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 Developer Beta 1 Mac PC set image 25 6 2015 - Nydus Underground

The the beta for OSX 10.11 has been hacked and is distributed on the Torrents.

The question isn't whether one can build a hackintosh - that is easy to do. edtheliar claimed that Apple doesn't block it - they most certainly do - in clear language in the TOS and EULA.

When OSX bowed to the pressure to support IO devices such a PCIE video cards, the ability to hardware check Apple hardware was lost. It's an Intel CPU and possibly an Nvidia or AMD GPU - but it is illegal and clearly stated as so.
:spam: :poop: :offtopic:

Now you are comparing the standard Windows 8 file manager with "the best" of what linux file managers have to over. Compare those with Directory Opus, instead. And how does tabbed navigation make any sense in file managers? The task bar can serve as tabs, as well.

Huh? What do you mean best it has to offer?
The auto-sizing/auto positioning feature is standard also. I honestly don't know if that is a mint thing or not, but I doubt it.
Auto sizing is something I have used for sometime.
Tabbed managing - may or may not be something useful, not for me - but it is there, and is also standard.
Multiple desktops is also standard, as well as multiple screens.
Only thing not standard in multi-desktop is the 3D flip/rotate/cubed desktop which is quite easily done if one installs compiz.
So, again, nothing superior.

Now you are comparing the standard Windows 8 file manager with "the best" of what linux file managers have to over. Compare those with Directory Opus, instead. And how does tabbed navigation make any sense in file managers? The task bar can serve as tabs, as well.

Huh? What do you mean best it has to offer?
The auto-sizing/auto positioning feature is standard also. I honestly don't know if that is a mint thing or not, but I doubt it.
Auto sizing is something I have used for sometime.
Tabbed managing - may or may not be something useful, not for me - but it is there, and is also standard.
Multiple desktops is also standard, as well as multiple screens.
Only thing not standard in multi-desktop is the 3D flip/rotate/cubed desktop which is quite easily done if one installs compiz.
So, again, nothing superior.
I mean, you should take mint´s standard file manager and compare it with Windows 8´s Explorer. If you take just the one you believe is the best, I take Directory Opus. And thus the Win8 Explorer is superior.

I mean, you should take mint´s standard file manager and compare it with Windows 8´s Explorer. If you take just the one you believe is the best, I take Directory Opus. And thus the Win8 Explorer is superior.

Marlin File Manager......

dolphin11.png

Double Commander manager.......

double-commander-3.jpg

That is just two.
As far as file managers go...there are 100's out there.
I don't have a use for advanced managers...but for those that do, I can't imagine not finding one to fit them.
Keeping in mind, that the above pics are how they look at the basic level. It can be further customized beyond that.

Marlin File Manager......

dolphin11.png

Double Commander manager.......

double-commander-3.jpg

That is just two.
As far as file managers go...there are 100's out there.
I don't have a use for advanced managers...but for those that do, I can't imagine not finding one to fit them.
Keeping in mind, that the above pics are how they look at the basic level. It can be further customized beyond that.
Me too. Since I use Windows 8, I havn´t been using DO. Of course there are various file managers around. But there is virtually no use for them.

Question - in Win8 + can you finally do a file search within the window you have open?
Example.....

zujfo1.jpg
Sure. It applies for the open directory and its subfolders.

Honest to God...what took them so long?
The ability to perform a search within a search is an extremely useful thing. It use to drive me nuts when I was a Sys Admin to have to go to a Mac to efficiently find folders/files in large data servers. Insane MS didn't do this 12 years ago or so like Mac/Linux.
How crazy was it that it was easier and quicker to walk to a users MacOs box to find things than standing at the terminal?

Question - in Win8 + can you finally do a file search within the window you have open?
Example.....

zujfo1.jpg

The ability to perform a search within a search is an extremely useful thing. It use to drive me nuts when I was a Sys Admin to have to go to a Mac to efficiently find folders/files in large data servers. Insane MS didn't do this 12 years ago or so like Mac/Linux.
How crazy was it that it was easier and quicker to walk to a users MacOs box to find things than standing at the terminal?
It has always been easy to find files in Windows. And you can still use the old dos commands like *.mp3 to list all mp3 files.

That window looks very Mac-like. What linux distro is that? I might like to try it.
He's using Mint, like I am. If you try it go for 17.1, it has some good tweaks over 17 with long term support (5 years). I am also using the Cairo dock that functions and looks exactly like Macs. It's about all I miss from OSX, hated the Finder.

Example.....

zujfo1.jpg

It has always been easy to find files in Windows. And you can still use the old dos commands like *.mp3 to list all mp3 files.

Example.....

zujfo1.jpg
That window looks very Mac-like. What linux distro is that? I might like to try it.
Mint - the them I use is "Zukitwo-Dark-Cinnamon" - except I changed the windows to the default silver like you see.

Example.....

zujfo1.jpg

Example.....

zujfo1.jpg
Mint - the them I use is "Zukitwo-Dark-Cinnamon" - except I changed the windows to the default silver like you see.
I like that it has the number of items and free space at the bottom of the window along with the search at the top and the side bar folders. Is that the standard install, or would I have to tweek it? I tried a different Linux distro a couple of years ago and I found I missed that stuff. I can't remember what distro but I know it was not Mint.

I like that it has the number of items and free space at the bottom of the window along with the search at the top and the side bar folders. Is that the standard install, or would I have to tweek it? I tried a different Linux distro a couple of years ago and I found I missed that stuff. I can't remember what distro but I know it was not Mint.

I have made very little tweaks. Only changed into a dark theme because I like a dark screen.
So what you see there is by default.

This might be interesting for owners of Samsung notebooks. Purpose of Samsung´s update disable tool is to prevent users from receiving Windows 10. This, so hopes Samsung, will spare them annoying users with questions about drivers etc. Owners should uninstall this nasty tool in any case because it also blocks regular security updates.
Samsung disables Windows Update leaving laptops open to hackers Technology The Guardian
Samsung promised now to release a patch that will re-activate Windows Update.

I have made very little tweaks. Only changed into a dark theme because I like a dark screen.
So what you see there is by default.
I installed it on a very old Dell 8500 Pentium 4 laptop and it seems to work quite well.

Forum List

Back