Unpacked the old box

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Finally unpacked the old Dell P-4 that I had Bodhi Linux on, set it up, turned it on then realized I no longer remembered what my password was (it's been 3 years). Okay I was going to purge all my personal stuff and donate it so time for a new OS........
Found Lubuntu 14.04 (LTS), supposedly lightweight and fast, built for old computers so lets give it a try. Absolutely amazing how fast this thing is on that old P-4, we're not talking high RAM/quad core fast but fast for what it's on.
Comes with the restricted codexs and a minimal Lubuntu Software Center but allows the user to add the Ubuntu Software Center. Now I just might keep the computer.

220 MB RAM...wow. That would have been...let's see...late 90's I would think.
Pretty much. I do have a quarter gig NVidia card in it and amazingly I'm able to run HDMI off of it. It's a Dell Dimension 4550, P4, 2.66 GHz, 256 MB RAM.

It's a Dell, I had a Gateway with windows 95 then went to 98 then xp

My first computer was a Commodore 128. In 1986.
I also had an old IBM 5160 that had a modified DOS OS the guy called Point & Shoot. He was a program analyst for the U.S. Navy Base nearby here. It was soo much better than MS-DOS.

I also had an old IBM 5160 that had a modified DOS OS the guy called Point & Shoot. He was a program analyst for the U.S. Navy Base nearby here. It was soo much better than MS-DOS.
I hated MS-Dos

I hated MS-Dos

The "Point & Shoot" modified DOS I had for a few years was so frigging good. He used the XTree File system that Micro$oft should have used. It was made by a company called "Underware" - no kidding. What a great name if you think about...software that lived under the main OS...underware.

Forum List

Back