Windows 10

I will never buy a brand new Microsoft OS..

Microsoft uses the buying public as they beta testers.

I usually wait until the SP1 patch comes out before I think about it..

I don't think this is "brand new". It's been under development for several years with extensive beta testing.

I don't think this is "brand new". It's been under development for several years with extensive beta testing.

All the Windows OS's for the exception of windows ME and 8 under went extensive testing..

Windows XP was being worked on not to soon after 95 came out..

All the Windows OS's for the exception of windows ME and 8 under went extensive testing..

Windows XP was being worked on not to soon after 95 came out..

Uh...no.
Both Windows 95 and especially Win 98 - out of the box was almost useless. It wasn't until M$ re-released Win98SE that Win 98 was stable. That is, if you want to call them separate OS's. It is certainly arguable that Win98 SE was Win95-3.
Same architecture throughout.
Windows XP, again, was released too early. It was missing so many device drivers that it was virtually useless for business use.
Windows has a long - looooong history of punishing consumers who upgrade too soon. Like at least a year after release.

It's a matter of consumer perspective and don't rely too heavily on "extensive beta testing", there's always bugs that need to be worked out, sometimes moreso than others.

Will Windows 10 force you to install updates?
Home Users will have their updates installed automatically without option to turn it off. Professional users can switch to another channel but security updates will also be installed without option to turn it off.

Will Windows 10 force you to install updates?
Home Users will have their updates installed automatically without option to turn it off. Professional users can switch to another channel but security updates will also be installed without option to turn it off.

That can be bad for application servers...in fact...it is bad.

I think, its annoying. But maybe it is possible to block the update tool with the firewall. Or there will be other solutions. I am using update packs which I install and integrate into a Windows image.

l miss windows XP.
No annoying update force there :D
Sadly, yes. No more anything. But up to till January, that was my operating system, it worked with everything, new or old peripherals and any program I installed. Windows 10? I want XP back!

In my book, on the business side Windows 2000 was the best.
Tough as nails, rarely crashed...the one M$ OS that reminds me of a *nix system. Everything just worked, simple, and just worked.
Home use, yes XP after a few years matured into a solid OS. And Windows 7 is decent as well. WIndows 8? - Trash.

l miss windows XP.
Sadly, yes. No more anything. But up to till January, that was my operating system, it worked with everything, new or old peripherals and any program I installed. Windows 10? I want XP back!

Tough as nails, rarely crashed...the one M$ OS that reminds me of a *nix system. Everything just worked, simple, and just worked.
Home use, yes XP after a few years matured into a solid OS. And Windows 7 is decent as well. WIndows 8? - Trash.
If you have the drivers, XP x64 is very good. In contrast to normal XP it is based on 2003.
Win8 isn´t trash but a fast system that just needs some customization.

l miss windows XP.

If you have the drivers, XP x64 is very good. In contrast to normal XP it is based on 2003.

Oh Win8 under the hood might be a corvette, but on the outside it is a corsair.
The GUI is so bad that how good the system is hardly matters.
Win10 is the right thing to do. Get rid of the Godawful mess of 8 and start over.
I have seen the previews of 10, and it looks like a better direction.
Having said that, I have not seen whether programs take over your whole screen like 8 did or not - which I absolutely hated.

l miss windows XP.

Oh Win8 under the hood might be a corvette, but on the outside it is a corsair.
The GUI is so bad that how good the system is hardly matters.
Win10 is the right thing to do. Get rid of the Godawful mess of 8 and start over.
I have seen the previews of 10, and it looks like a better direction.
Having said that, I have not seen whether programs take over your whole screen like 8 did or not - which I absolutely hated.
I am using Windows 8 for a whole while now and I come into contact with elements of the modern UI very, very rarely. I use it as if it is Windows 7 plus I have the ribbon explorer, faster system boot and an even better start menu. I even have Aero glass.

I am using Windows 8 for a whole while now and I come into contact with elements of the modern UI very, very rarely. I use it as if it is Windows 7 plus I have the ribbon explorer, faster system boot and an even better start menu. I even have Aero glass.

Well maybe that is why Balmer is finally gone.
Don't want to sound like a broken record, but I just never understood how he kept his job for so long with all of the colossal bad calls and misdirections, and hated by practically everyone within the company. Like I have said before, it wasn't just Steve Jobs that propelled Apple above M$ - it was pretty easy to do with Balmer bumbling everything and releasing terrible products.
Who knows maybe Nadella will not be such a dorftrottel.

Basically from what I've been reading online (articles and blogs, etc) is neither Win 8 lovers nor Win 7/XP lovers are going to be happy with the knee jerk reaction compromise that is Win 10.
Many of us have notified M$ that they're making another mistake, will they listen? Why should they, they never did in the past. I wonder how many "New Cokes" they think they can toss out at the consumer before figure it out?

Well maybe that is why Balmer is finally gone.
Don't want to sound like a broken record, but I just never understood how he kept his job for so long with all of the colossal bad calls and misdirections, and hated by practically everyone within the company. Like I have said before, it wasn't just Steve Jobs that propelled Apple above M$ - it was pretty easy to do with Balmer bumbling everything and releasing terrible products.
Who knows maybe Nadella will not be such a dorftrottel.
MS was unable to break into the smartphone market so far. The low market share does not justify that Modern UI stuff. I think, MS should better start to extend support of Android and Apple devices, instead of attempting to fish in the smartphone market whose cake is almost entirely consumed by Apple. They now decided to not to cooperate with Cyanogen Inc.
Apple Claims 92 Percent Of Smartphone Market Profits Digital Trends

Last edited:
Basically from what I've been reading online (articles and blogs, etc) is neither Win 8 lovers nor Win 7/XP lovers are going to be happy with the knee jerk reaction compromise that is Win 10.
Many of us have notified M$ that they're making another mistake, will they listen? Why should they, they never did in the past. I wonder how many "New Cokes" they think they can toss out at the consumer before figure it out?
They are excluding Dx12 from previous versions, making Windows 10 almost essential for the gamers in the future. That´s not nice.

If I was Apple I'd drop my prices by at least a quarter, probably more, make sure all window applications will run on OS X and blitz market my product as the only viable alternative to Windows. I'd be willing to bet Microsoft's market share would drop by half virtually overnight.

Forum List

Back