will some of you Christians weigh in on this

He dishonored His mother when he spoke to her in harsh tones.

Huh? When did that happen?

He also contradicted the 5th Commandment when he said that anyone who does not hate their mother or father cannot follow Him (unless you want to INTERPRET it differently but the word in both the ancient Aramaic and Hebrew text translates exactly to "hate").

Umm, what ancient Aramaic and Hebrew texts are you talking about?

Are you aware that, in the Greek that is actually the language of the New Testament, the word translated as hate means hate?

Now that we have cleared that up, please explain how putting God first, and focusing on Him properly, violates the 5th commandment? Please go into detail and explain how Hannah was dishonored by Samuel becoming a prophet.

Again, I won't hold my breath.

He broke / contradicted the 4th Commandment on a few occasions by performing miracles, going for long walks etc... on the sabbath.

Only idiots think helping people on the Sabbath is breaking the Sabbath.

Come to think of it, that does explain a few things.

The Pharisees defined a Sabbath day's journey as being 8,000 cubits, which is about 2.5 miles. Unless you can provide documentation that Jesus walked further than that on a Sabbath you are going to have trouble arguing he broke that law.

That said, how long is a Sabbath day's journey supposed to be anyway?

He lost control of his emotions / temper when he saw the money changers in the church.

How is that proof he lost control of anything? Are Christians not supposed to have emotions? Where does it say that in the Bible?

He lost His faith on the cross just before His death.

Did he? As I recall, right before he died he said "Father, into your hands, I commit my spirit." Doesn't sound like a loss of faith to me.

What was that? You were talking about something else? When he said "My God, My God, why have you foresaken me?" Have you ever read Psalm 22? Anyone that had, which would have included every Jew that heard his words, would understand the reference.

You may now share your interpretations in order to counter...

Counter what? You haven't actually proven anything other than that you are fool and that you are puffed up.

I need to ask you something, IL, to determine how much you really know about Sabbath laws.
I don;t mean it in a condescending manner, either. But you proclaim to be a non-believer AND more of a student of the Bible than any Christian in the proverbial room.

How many days did they march around Jericho before the walls crumbled?

I promise it's not a trick question.
I am going somewhere with this.
:cool:

Where did you come up with this? I do not proclaim to be a non-believer. I am a Christian.

I believe the OT states it was a week that they marched around Jericho. Seven days as ordered by God - which also contradicts the corresponding commandment. Like I said, there is uch in the Bible which is self-contradictory.
But I must acknowledge and give kudos in that you debate and discuss without slining petty insults or using BS excuses to avoid answering questions - although you have still done that with the hate the mom and dad thing....

You are a Christian? Let me see if I understand your position, you think that Jesus, who was without sin, broke the law, and you claim to be a Christian? what does that word mean to you?

But it's fun to watch him...

Do you ever wonder how someone can spend so much time thinking about a topic, and yet never learn anything? I'm not talking about faith...I'm talking about just a conversant understanding of the bible, that he apparently likes to consider and belch out about.

Has he ever gotten anything right?

You might want to check that Ariux:

23 You must not live according to the customs of the nations I am going to drive out before you. Because they did all these things, I abhorred them. 24 But I said to you, “You will possess their land; I will give it to you as an inheritance, a land flowing with milk and honey.” I am the LORD your God, who has set you apart from the nations.

Isn't it amazing that people who call themselves Christian know less about the Bible than people who call themselves atheist?

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death... Because they did all these things, I abhorred them." Maybe you should spend more time worrying about what you don't know, than worrying about what you think I don't know. Peach is too ... to read the context of the verse reference I gave.

You should take notes, that is Lev 20:13, not Lev 20:23.

Want to know the difference between Jews and Muslims?

Jews read the Bible, see the parts where it talks about not wiping out a city for the sake of a few righteous people, and understand that YHWH is not about the Law as much as He is about Grace and Love.

Muslims see the law and think it is what makes Allah holy.

Smoking crack is not an appropriate church sacrament.

The Jews who were Pharisees thought God was all about law, even their man-made law, not about grace and love. These days, with God's back turned on the Jews, they just don't believe the Bible anymore. I don't see much grace and love flowing out of Israel. I see Tel Aviv is the homosexual capital of the world and the Palestinians are brutally oppressed. BTW, I thought you were a Christian, but now I see you're a Jew. Christians don't defend false religions with falsehoods.

Do yourself a favor, don't try to argue theology with me? I dedicated every spare minute for 6 years I had to reading the Bible and learning about God. I actually know what I am talking about, and can explain myself coherently.

But it's fun to watch him...

Do you ever wonder how someone can spend so much time thinking about a topic, and yet never learn anything? I'm not talking about faith...I'm talking about just a conversant understanding of the bible, that he apparently likes to consider and belch out about.

Has he ever gotten anything right?

Once or twice.

Everything you ever wanted to know about kosher fish is here:
Oh, crap, since I am a FNG I can't post links until I have 15 posts. Use Google.

Now, about the gays and the food .... they are in the SAME chapter. If you believe in one of them you have to believe in the other. Ya can't pick and choose in the Torah. And, if Jesus really did say that you don't have to follow the Laws of the Torah, that would mean you could have sex with your sister. I don't believe Jesus ever said you can not have sex with your sister.
Fish have to have fins and scales and animals have to have cloven hooves and chew their cud. Birds are pretty much open game.

Can anyone just provide a link or a list as to what parts of the Old Testament can be ignored and what are supposed to be taken fully seriously? From this thread I gather the shellfish eating part to be ignored, but in other threads on the religion board certain science denying aspects are to be highlighted.

Hopefully for america's sake we get to a point where the evolution denying and the gay hating parts can be ignored.

You ignore any of it at your peril, but it helps to know what specific passages are specifically referencing, and apply common sense as to whether they apply to you in this day and age.

Much of the bible was written to specific people, at specific times, in response to specific issues at that time.

And prior to the coming of Christ, salvation was via adherence to the law....his coming means that the law, while still applicable, is not the way to access heaven.

He does explain this, you know. As do the prophets in the OT.

I think we can rest assured that we aren't going to be barred from Heaven if we eat shrimp, or work on the Sabbath. The NT does address those two issues (well not shrimp, but eating/breaking bread) specifically.

If you're all tied up in knots about it, you could always read it yourself.

You ignore any of it at your peril, but it helps to know what specific passages are specifically referencing, and apply common sense as to whether they apply to you in this day and age.

Much of the bible was written to specific people, at specific times, in response to specific issues at that time.

And prior to the coming of Christ, salvation was via adherence to the law....his coming means that the law, while still applicable, is not the way to access heaven.

He does explain this, you know. As do the prophets in the OT.

I think we can rest assured that we aren't going to be barred from Heaven if we eat shrimp, or work on the Sabbath. The NT does address those two issues (well not shrimp, but eating/breaking bread) specifically.

If you're all tied up in knots about it, you could always read it yourself.

Which I've done, and what happens is if you come to a different conclusion than an unwavering fundamentalist, you get bashed just the same as someone who hasn't read it.

Only if you're wrong and posing as if you know what you're talking about.

Which you don't.

Forum List

Back