will some of you Christians weigh in on this

You ignore any of it at your peril, but it helps to know what specific passages are specifically referencing, and apply common sense as to whether they apply to you in this day and age.

Much of the bible was written to specific people, at specific times, in response to specific issues at that time.

And prior to the coming of Christ, salvation was via adherence to the law....his coming means that the law, while still applicable, is not the way to access heaven.

He does explain this, you know. As do the prophets in the OT.

I think we can rest assured that we aren't going to be barred from Heaven if we eat shrimp, or work on the Sabbath. The NT does address those two issues (well not shrimp, but eating/breaking bread) specifically.

If you're all tied up in knots about it, you could always read it yourself.

Which I've done, and what happens is if you come to a different conclusion than an unwavering fundamentalist, you get bashed just the same as someone who hasn't read it.

Some people bash others because they can't defend themselves.

Just a point of order, the only way to properly interpret the bible is assuming that it is true. Coming at it believing it is false is not interpreting it, it is debunking. On the other hand, I enjoy bashing idiots like Cammmpell who think Columbus proved the Earth is round.

Forum List

Back