will some of you Christians weigh in on this

Only if you're wrong and posing as if you know what you're talking about.

Which you don't.

I don't claim to be a biblical scholar. Not that that would matter anyways, had I asked a room full of biblical scholars, I would've gotten many different answers to my question.

What you call a contradiction I call consistent.

Remember when I said that since Jesus was the embodiment of the Law, He couldn't be in violation of it? The Law was in/with Him.

That's a very cool interpretation. Mine is that God is in every one of us.

The same thing with Jericho.
The priests were carrying the Ark of the Covenant with them. The Law was WITH them.
And Jesus was with them, too.
:cool:

Joshua 5:
13And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? 14And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?
15And the captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

:eusa_pray:

I'm sorry if my answer about honoring thy mother and father wasn't sufficient for you.
That doesn't equal me avoiding the question, though.
I just don't see what He said as bringing dishonor to His mother.

P.S.
Thanks for the kudos.
I do try to remain civil in the religious forum.
(I reserve the right to call you a fucktard in the Flamezone, though) :p

So my turn then. Anyone feel free to jump in (except obviously that whackjob homophobe guy won't and well, we know how koshergirl is when it comes to directly addressing things....)

I didn't see you address my reference to Luke 14:26 at all. Only the part where Jesus called his mother "woman".

So according to your interpretation, are we no longer required to obey the Ten Commandments then?

Should slaves truly obey their masters and not attempt to flee their captivity?

Are the wealthy all doomed to hell? I'd think that Solomon and David would find that piece of news to be kind of a bummer considering it was God who made them wealthy in the first place...

Jesus' 2 commandments takes care of them.

I had to look up Luke 14:26 to get the context.
It was to build up to His final point, which is made in verse 33:
So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

see: 1st Commandment
;)

Following the first Commandment out-weighs following the 5th
:eusa_angel:

Okay but here's what you can't get around: Those are your interpretations. You didn't address my other points but it's cool, I only had one main point:
You interpret The Bible. You interpret Luke 14:26 to be a build up but the literal words indicate that one must HATE their parents to follow Christ. Even then, you have to interpret verse 33! Unless you can't respond to this because you have given away your computer along with everything else you own. :eusa_angel:

And that's the point I made with the other posters who bailed the minute facts and points were made.
While The Bible is the basis and foundation of my spiritual life, I don't freak out or consider it blasphemy to say it's imperfect. It is. Genesis - Dueteronomy was handed down verbally for hundreds of years. The Gospels weren't put to paper until two generations after The Ascension. There were tons of books that were written and they voted out (like Revelation) and then in again and so on. Any books that were perceived as diminishing the power of the newly established church were declared heretical and outlawed. There are still verses in the Bible that were added for political reasons.
So it's not perfect. You take literally what you feel should be taken literally and interpret (or have someone interpret for you) the rest. Just like me. :)

So my turn then. Anyone feel free to jump in (except obviously that whackjob homophobe guy won't and well, we know how koshergirl is when it comes to directly addressing things....)

I didn't see you address my reference to Luke 14:26 at all. Only the part where Jesus called his mother "woman".

So according to your interpretation, are we no longer required to obey the Ten Commandments then?

Should slaves truly obey their masters and not attempt to flee their captivity?

Are the wealthy all doomed to hell? I'd think that Solomon and David would find that piece of news to be kind of a bummer considering it was God who made them wealthy in the first place...

So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

;)

Okay but here's what you can't get around: Those are your interpretations. You didn't address my other points but it's cool, I only had one main point:
You interpret The Bible. You interpret Luke 14:26 to be a build up but the literal words indicate that one must HATE their parents to follow Christ. Even then, you have to interpret verse 33! Unless you can't respond to this because you have given away your computer along with everything else you own. :eusa_angel:

And that's the point I made with the other posters who bailed the minute facts and points were made.
While The Bible is the basis and foundation of my spiritual life, I don't freak out or consider it blasphemy to say it's imperfect. It is. Genesis - Dueteronomy was handed down verbally for hundreds of years. The Gospels weren't put to paper until two generations after The Ascension. There were tons of books that were written and they voted out (like Revelation) and then in again and so on. Any books that were perceived as diminishing the power of the newly established church were declared heretical and outlawed. There are still verses in the Bible that were added for political reasons.
So it's not perfect. You take literally what you feel should be taken literally and interpret (or have someone interpret for you) the rest. Just like me. :)

I believe that it is, indeed, perfect.
You're right about interpretations.

It's perfect to each individual reader. (thanks to the guidance of the HS)

You ignore any of it at your peril, but it helps to know what specific passages are specifically referencing, and apply common sense as to whether they apply to you in this day and age.

Much of the bible was written to specific people, at specific times, in response to specific issues at that time.

And prior to the coming of Christ, salvation was via adherence to the law....his coming means that the law, while still applicable, is not the way to access heaven.

He does explain this, you know. As do the prophets in the OT.

I think we can rest assured that we aren't going to be barred from Heaven if we eat shrimp, or work on the Sabbath. The NT does address those two issues (well not shrimp, but eating/breaking bread) specifically.

If you're all tied up in knots about it, you could always read it yourself.

Which I've done, and what happens is if you come to a different conclusion than an unwavering fundamentalist, you get bashed just the same as someone who hasn't read it.

You don't understand. There are certain ignorant whackjobs whose opinions are very simple: Agree with them or you're wrong!
Now they won't actually support their BS with facts, scriptures or directly addressing anyone else's points. They'll just sling petty insults or make BS excuses for running. So it's not like anything they say has any level of credibility.
I'm not saying who specifically :eusa_whistle:

Should be easy to figure out though. ;)

;)

I believe that it is, indeed, perfect.
You're right about interpretations.

It's perfect to each individual reader. (thanks to the guidance of the HS)

Although different than mine, I can certainly respect your belief (gentlemen can do this). it's been a good discussion.

You ignore any of it at your peril, but it helps to know what specific passages are specifically referencing, and apply common sense as to whether they apply to you in this day and age.

Much of the bible was written to specific people, at specific times, in response to specific issues at that time.

And prior to the coming of Christ, salvation was via adherence to the law....his coming means that the law, while still applicable, is not the way to access heaven.

He does explain this, you know. As do the prophets in the OT.

I think we can rest assured that we aren't going to be barred from Heaven if we eat shrimp, or work on the Sabbath. The NT does address those two issues (well not shrimp, but eating/breaking bread) specifically.

If you're all tied up in knots about it, you could always read it yourself.

Which I've done, and what happens is if you come to a different conclusion than an unwavering fundamentalist, you get bashed just the same as someone who hasn't read it.

You don't understand. There are certain ignorant whackjobs whose opinions are very simple: Agree with them or you're wrong!
Now they won't actually support their BS with facts, scriptures or directly addressing anyone else's points. They'll just sling petty insults or make BS excuses for running. So it's not like anything they say has any level of credibility.
I'm not saying who specifically :eusa_whistle:

Should be easy to figure out though. ;)

I wish i didn't understand that to be the case.

Well it's certainly the case in any conversation you contribute (or more accurately, don't contribue) to, Drock.

Well it's certainly the case in any conversation you contribute (or more accurately, don't contribue) to, Drock.

Thanks babe. And seeing as how the above is what you post 99% of the time, this board is forever in debt to the intelligence you provide for one and all to see. Not only the intelligence, the far superior moral code you have to the rest of us.

You're welcome. I only wish you had the capacity to learn from my example.

Another neg rep from kosher, it's been sad not having a neg list on my board since you last neg'd me, now I'm happy to have it back!

"I get quite a few reps for exposing your idiocy, it's true..."

There's kosher spreading her christian love around :). I wish you typed on these boards on Sundays from 9-10, so I could know how you act the 1 hour a week you actually take Jesus's teachings seriously.

I didn't realize Christ spoke to us regarding reps on usmb.

Please cite and quote the biblical passage that shows Christianity can be measured by rep.

Another neg rep from kosher, it's been sad not having a neg list on my board since you last neg'd me, now I'm happy to have it back!

There's kosher spreading her christian love around :). I wish you typed on these boards on Sundays from 9-10, so I could know how you act the 1 hour a week you actually take Jesus's teachings seriously.

That's right, cuz good Christians agree with you.

Loon.

That's right, cuz good Christians agree with you.

Loon.

I wouldn't expect you to have any idea how a good christian behaves.

Has nothing to do with reps, you can neg rep me everyday if it makes you feel better. Has to do with how you treat people, you're the only person I've met who asks herself "What would Jesus do?" And the answer you come up with is act like a 6th grade girl who just got dumped.

If it has nothing to do with reps, I wonder why every time you get a neg, you broadcast it and whine "Look at what a bad Christian kosher is".

I continue to be amazed that fascist dumbfucks think they are qualified to determine how a Christian *should* behave. You get spanked all over the board which is why you resent me. It has nothing to do with my behavior. It has to do with the fact that you are CONTINUALLY exposed (and not just by me) as a know-nothing bozo who doesn't even have the intellect to learn from his stupid mistakes or to bring anything whatsoever (aside from wiki links) to any discussion.

Please link the last intellectual discussion you were involved in, that included something other than you trumpeting your ill-informed opinion over and over and over again, as if it meant something on it's own?

Please point me to a conversation you have participated in where you brought information to the table (real information, not your standard "I base my opinion on logic so I don't need anything else" pontificating) that could stand as support of something you have said.

If it has nothing to do with reps, I wonder why every time you get a neg, you broadcast it and whine "Look at what a bad Christian kosher is".

I continue to be amazed that fascist dumbfucks think they are qualified to determine how a Christian *should* behave. You get spanked all over the board which is why you resent me. It has nothing to do with my behavior. It has to do with the fact that you are CONTINUALLY exposed (and not just by me) as a know-nothing bozo who doesn't even have the intellect to learn from his stupid mistakes or to bring anything whatsoever (aside from wiki links) to any discussion.

Please link the last intellectual discussion you were involved in, that included something other than you trumpeting your ill-informed opinion over and over and over again, as if it meant something on it's own?

Please point me to a conversation you have participated in where you brought information to the table (real information, not your standard "I base my opinion on logic so I don't need anything else" pontificating) that could stand as support of something you have said.

Lol you go to the effort to neg me and make a whiney comment in all of them, but i'm the one whining, adorable :razz:.

I'm not qualified to say how any type of human should behave other than it should be different than you.

If you'd like to read my posts, they're perfectly available to you.

And I like our new arrangement. Whenever you neg rep me and include one of the typical alliebaba/koshergirl bitchy remarks I'll respond with a pos rep and a nice remark, sounds like a good agreement for all parties involved :).

How is referencing the fact that you bring in pos reps for me *whining*????

Can anyone just provide a link or a list as to what parts of the Old Testament can be ignored and what are supposed to be taken fully seriously? From this thread I gather the shellfish eating part to be ignored, but in other threads on the religion board certain science denying aspects are to be highlighted.

Hopefully for america's sake we get to a point where the evolution denying and the gay hating parts can be ignored.

The parts of the Old Testament that can be ignored:

1. .
  2. .
  3. .
  4. .
  5. .

Forum List

Back