Why we should legalize pot?

True conservatives want the decriminalization of all drugs.
Tobacco is legal and the US government subsidizes smuggling it into dozens of ciuntries to avoid taxation now.
We are the hypocrits of the world as illegal tobacco and illegal pharmeceutical sales dwarf the importation of "illegal" drugs here.
We are a nation addicted to drugs. Decriminalize and put 20% of what we spend locking up pepple for this health problem, as legal drugs are never a crime problem and only a health problem, and watch demand decrease long term by 50% in 20 years.
Drugs are a HEALTH problem.

Marijuana, Weed, Pot, Hemp, Cannabis, ect. is NOT a drug. It is a herb. And it will NOT cause health problems. It has been scientifically proven to accually help with health. Infact in some cases it has been know to help grow new brain cells. It also is not physically addictive. People who use it can stop at any time and have no health withdraws from it. The only addictive properties it has is people 'like' it so much they don't 'want' to stop using it, thus it is addicive only psychology. Also, it is a proven fact that you can not overdose on Marijuana. The drugs that someone mentioned earlier that do the same thing Marijuana does can be addictive and you can overdose on those drugs.

The so called scientific test that the government uses to say that Marijuana will kill brain cells has been debunked. The scientist that did the test suffocated the monkeys with the mask they used to 'pump' the Marijuana smoke into them. They could not breath and that is what caused them to have a loss in brain cells and eventually death. Here is just one youtub video of the debunking...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRrQWIX2QcA[/ame]

Also, here is a link to one of the many sites that show the myths and facts of Marijuana...

Marijuana Reform, Education, and the War on Drugs : Marijuana Myths and Facts

Last edited:
True conservatives want the decriminalization of all drugs.
Tobacco is legal and the US government subsidizes smuggling it into dozens of ciuntries to avoid taxation now.
We are the hypocrits of the world as illegal tobacco and illegal pharmeceutical sales dwarf the importation of "illegal" drugs here.
We are a nation addicted to drugs. Decriminalize and put 20% of what we spend locking up pepple for this health problem, as legal drugs are never a crime problem and only a health problem, and watch demand decrease long term by 50% in 20 years.
Drugs are a HEALTH problem.

Marijuana, Weed, Pot, Hemp, Cannabis, ect. is NOT a drug. It is a herb. And it will NOT cause health problems. It has been scientifically proven to accually help with health. Infact in some cases it has been know to help grow new brain cells. It also is not physically addictive. People who use it can stop at any time and have no health withdraws from it. The only addictive properties it has is people 'like' it so much they don't 'want' to stop using it, thus it is addicive only psychology. Also, it is a proven fact that you can not overdose on Marijuana. The drugs that someone mentioned earlier that do the same thing Marijuana does can be addictive and you can overdose on those drugs.

The so called scientific test that the government uses to say that Marijuana will kill brain cells has been debunked. The scientist that did the test suffocated the monkeys with the mask they used to 'pump' the Marijuana smoke into them. They could not breath and that is what caused them to have a loss in brain cells and eventually death. Here is just one youtub video of the debunking...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRrQWIX2QcA[/ame]

Also, here is a link to one of the many sites that show the myths and facts of Marijuana...

Marijuana Reform, Education, and the War on Drugs : Marijuana Myths and Facts

I agree with most of that but smoking anything is not good for you. Eating it may be good for you but hot smoke in the lungs is never good for you.
But I favor total legalization of it and it may not be a drug but THC is a substance that is not good for the body long term. I doubt it is as bad for you as caffeine.
I am for total legalization of all drugs with monitoring of the hard stuff.
But there are 2 very, very bad side effects of marijuana smoking.

I agree with most of that but smoking anything is not good for you. Eating it may be good for you but hot smoke in the lungs is never good for you.
But I favor total legalization of it and it may not be a drug but THC is a substance that is not good for the body long term. I doubt it is as bad for you as caffeine.

Just about everything has something about them that is not good for you.

Yes smoke, of any kind, in the lungs is never good for you. However, it is a lot safer than smoking cigarettes. Marijuana has less 'tar' than tobacco does. Not to mention, you don't have to 'smoke' marijuana ;).

You're going to have to substantiate that buddy because illegal pot is an economic drain and in no way a source of income.
It is a major source of income for certain interests, outstanding among which is the law enforcement industry. One out of every eight inmates in American prisons is a pot law offender and prison construction is one of the last growth industries in the U.S. Also consider how many cops, prosecutors, judges, lawyers, court personnel, parole officers, probation officers and prison guards would be affected by legalized marijuana.

Next in line is the booze industry, which is why the Partnership For Drug Free America is sponsored by Schenley Distilleries. If pot became legally available it wouldn't be long before a lot of people who now use alcohol recreationally learn that marijuana is a far better choice -- and for very good reasons. Legal pot would kick the booze industry's ass.

Last edited:

Yes smoke, of any kind, in the lungs is never good for you. However, it is a lot safer than smoking cigarettes. Marijuana has less 'tar' than tobacco does. Not to mention, you don't have to 'smoke' marijuana ;).
The reason why smoking is the most common way of using marijuana is it's the least expensive. It takes a lot more to bake with pot than to smoke it -- and not too many people know how to bake with it. But if pot were legal there would be so many really good edibles competitively available that smoking it would gradually become the least common way of enjoying it.

Also, the effect from digested pot is much nicer and lasts much longer. (I make a really fine carrot cake.)

PS: There is no evidence that THC is harmful over long term. That is Reefer Madness propaganda.

Last edited:

The reason why smoking is the most common way of using marijuana is it's the least expensive. It takes a lot more to bake with pot than to smoke it -- and not too many people know how to bake with it. But if pot were legal there would be so many really good edibles competitively available that smoking it would gradually become the least common way of enjoying it.

Also, the effect from digested pot is much nicer and lasts much longer. (I make a really fine carrot cake.)

PS: There is no evidence that THC is harmful over long term. That is Reefer Madness propaganda.

Yes, the un-proven propaganda used now to justify keeping it illegal.

I just think the government has no right to say an herb is illegal. It wasn't illegal in the U.S. untill the early 1900s. Infact, America’s first marijuana law was enacted at Jamestown Colony, Virginia in 1619. This law was to order all farmers to grow Indian hempseed. The first outlaw of hemp was in California. And it was not because of health reasons but rather to target the Mexican population. Sence then more and more laws were passed. And most were not passed due to health reasons.

Yep. Cannabis was made illegal because of racist motives.

Anyone that supports keeping cannabis illegal is a racist.

The first part is true, but the second sentence might be a stretch...

I think opium was the first drug made illegal, and that was also because of racist/anti-immigrant sentiment--just instead of the Mexicans, it was against the Chainmen.

You know.......my personal opinion of plants is that they're not drugs, they're plants. Peyote, cannabis, magic mushrooms, all should be legal in my opinion. Even opium, but people should realize that opium is right at the dividing line between drugs and plants.

8 pages?

Nobody need a reason to legalize pot.

You have to show why something should be illegal, not the other way around.

You know, the whole 'liberty' thing this nation was founded on...

As far as the psychologically addictive part? If you'd read the whole thing, you would have understood that you can be psychologically addicted to ANYTHING. People, pets, shopping, etc. None cause physical problems, nor are they "addictive" in the physiological sense, it's the mental attitude that goes WITH the thing. Like I said, ever hear of co-dependency?

No. Pot is not addictive in the physiological sense. It causes no physical symptoms when stopped. And, most people don't even have a psychological dependence when they stop. They just stop.
And you're getting these wonderful "facts" from where exactly? You who claimed it was your job to know this stuff have sure showed a complete lack of knowledge on the topic. Long term users of marijuana report irritability, insomnia, cravings, and anxiety upon trying to quit. Again, this is why marijuana rehab institutes have cropped up. If there were absolutely no symptoms and no trouble in quitting, why do you think these places are profitable? You still seem to believe they don't exist whatsoever for some reason, after given proof to the contrary.

You know......people are "addicted" to their Blackberries ("Crackberries" anyone?), as well as crap like American Idol and Dancing With the Stars.

Does that mean we should make those things illegal as well? I mean, they're addictive without the physiological symptoms.
Aside from you just making the straw man argument that all addictive things should be made illegal, while failing at understanding psychology yet again and citing things that aren't actually addictive, no one has actually ever claimed it. Gambling is legal. Tobacco is legal. Once again: pointing to other things you don't like, or are even comparable, does not support anything you say about marijuana. If other things are bad for having the same outcome, it DOES NOT make marijuana any better. The only reason I shot you down regarding marijuana's addictive capacity is because you were flat out INCORRECT on the topic, ace.

Hemp farmers got the royal shaft in 1937.
Did I mention I don't really care about hemp?

BlindBooSeem you are the one who has only one point to make and that is that anyone who advocate for legalized Hemp/Marijuana is only doing because they're just old pot heads wanting to get high.[/quote said:
No, it could be new pot heads too. You are right in that I have only had one point: legalization has nothing to do with medicine. The remainder of that post goes on to copy and paste other things from another website I've already shot down as useless. You make vague references to it being a "safe drug", without actually giving indications for its use. If you had, I could easily provide any number of safe drugs that provide better and longer lasting outcomes. This is the heart of the argument: you provide copied and pasted bullshit from other websites that cite no actual primary research, and I show specific examples of drugs that completely trump all of your hand waiving. And despite the fact that you are so clueless as to only be able to sit on the sidelines and paste other people's bullshit writings, you still have the ignorance to claim my knowledge is the "Big Lie".

I see it like this...The government has no business telling anyone they can't smoke weed.
Perfectly legitimate opinion.

Paulie said:
So if getting it from a doctor is the only way someone can acquire it and consume it without having to be afraid that a half ounce of weed is going to get them locked up and have a criminal record, then so be it.
Completely illegitimate opinion.

The government hates people to feel good
This is perhaps the most childish argument I have heard yet. You are likened to a kid in grade school believing their parents don't want them to stay up late because parents hate fun. Grow up.

Marijuana, Weed, Pot, Hemp, Cannabis, ect. is NOT a drug. And it will NOT cause health problems.
It's clear to me you don't actually know what a drug is.

And as others have pointed out: chronically breathing in the smoke from anything is bad for your health, be it tobacco, bonfires, charcoal BBQs, or marijuana.

Wingsofwind said:
It has been scientifically proven to accually help with health.
False.

You know.......my personal opinion of plants is that they're not drugs, they're plants. Peyote, cannabis, magic mushrooms, all should be legal in my opinion.
Your personal opinion? Sounds like your "personal opinion" doesn't know what a drug is either. Also, mushrooms are not plants. Didn't you say it was your JOB to know this stuff?

Forum List

Back