Why we should legalize pot?

Prior to passage of the Harrison Act in 1937, which criminalized marijuana, an over-the-counter preparation called Lydia Pinkum's Women's Tonic was sold in drug stores and was used by virtually every post-adolescent woman in America because it was the most effective relief for menstrual discomfort available with or without a prescription. It was made from cannabis (marijuana) extract, licorice oil and honey.

The effect of marijuana on the human organism is best described as a euphoric tranquilizer. In fact there is no more effective tranquilizer available anywhere and it is not addictive nor can one overdose on it. The same cannot be said for Valium or any of its knock-off prescription tranquilizers -- which collectively represents one of the most commonly used and profitable products peddled by the pharmaceutical industry.

If you need evidence of the effectiveness just obtain some good marijuana brownies or tea and when you need a tranquilizer, or when your wife or girl-friend is suffering from the monthly blues, you'll have all the proof you need within a few minutes.

Those are just two very good reasons to legalize marijuana and there are many more. So if you would like to educate yourself on this topic and purge the vestiges of Reefer Madness brainwash from your mind I recommend the following two excellent books:

Marijuana. The Forbidden Medicine. By Dr. Lester Grinspoon, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatric Medicine, Harvard University.

The Emperor Wears No Clothes. By Jack Herer.

Both are available from Amazon.

For fuck's sake. Cut out the typical pro-marijuana talking points. I don't care if people want to smoke marijuana for recreational uses. I thought Reefer Madness was retarded. I oppose the knuckleheads (like you, apparently) who claim MJ is some magic cure all. That is total bullshit. There isn't a lot of good evidenced based medicine to support the use of THC or MJ for much beyond the indications I've given. As if menstrual cramps were a life threatening illness. Even if they were, motrin works better than MJ.

Other than that, you post; phramacologically speaking, is bullshit. Pot might sedate, but it's not a tranquilizer. Only on Harold and Kumar Go To The White Castle is it ever suggested that it be used to sedate surgery patients.

Valium isn't a first line drug for much of anything short of severe alcohol withdrawal these days.

It's totally possible to point out the "pie in the sky" flaws that the pro-MJ camp so strongly adheres too without being anti-MJ.

People can do what they want too. Just stop acting like your desire to use a drug for recreational use is also strongly supported by any sort of data.

It is not.

Also, marijuana is a far better tranquilizer than anything the pharmaceutical industry has to offer -- and it's not addictive.
This is still false. Saying it more doesn't make it less false. There are exceedingly better sedatives in medicine that are more easily administered, work faster, work longer, and can be quickly reversed if needed. Furthermore, addiction to and dependence on marijuana is not only possible, but very common. You just don't understand what that word actually means medically because pot doesn't have something like nicotine in it. Marijuana rehab is growing.

The estimate of how many Americans use marijuana is not mine but is NORML's and is based on DEA estimates of how much marijuana is grown in and imported into the U.S. per annum.
You mean if everyone smokes the same amount per month? Hey maybe I should estimate the number of smokers based on one pack per day.

GTH has it right. Stop using these immature excuses. Don't point to medicine, or the economy, or even the fact that there are other more harmful substances already legalized as reasons for marijuana. Just call it what it is.

Prior to passage of the Harrison Act in 1937, which criminalized marijuana, an over-the-counter preparation called Lydia Pinkum's Women's Tonic was sold in drug stores and was used by virtually every post-adolescent woman in America because it was the most effective relief for menstrual discomfort available with or without a prescription. It was made from cannabis (marijuana) extract, licorice oil and honey.

The effect of marijuana on the human organism is best described as a euphoric tranquilizer. In fact there is no more effective tranquilizer available anywhere and it is not addictive nor can one overdose on it. The same cannot be said for Valium or any of its knock-off prescription tranquilizers -- which collectively represents one of the most commonly used and profitable products peddled by the pharmaceutical industry.

If you need evidence of the effectiveness just obtain some good marijuana brownies or tea and when you need a tranquilizer, or when your wife or girl-friend is suffering from the monthly blues, you'll have all the proof you need within a few minutes.

Those are just two very good reasons to legalize marijuana and there are many more. So if you would like to educate yourself on this topic and purge the vestiges of Reefer Madness brainwash from your mind I recommend the following two excellent books:

Marijuana. The Forbidden Medicine. By Dr. Lester Grinspoon, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatric Medicine, Harvard University.

For fuck's sake. Cut out the typical pro-marijuana talking points. I don't care if people want to smoke marijuana for recreational uses. I thought Reefer Madness was retarded. I oppose the knuckleheads (like you, apparently) who claim MJ is some magic cure all. That is total bullshit. There isn't a lot of good evidenced based medicine to support the use of THC or MJ for much beyond the indications I've given. As if menstrual cramps were a life threatening illness. Even if they were, motrin works better than MJ.

Other than that, you post; phramacologically speaking, is bullshit. Pot might sedate, but it's not a tranquilizer. Only on Harold and Kumar Go To The White Castle is it ever suggested that it be used to sedate surgery patients.

Valium isn't a first line drug for much of anything short of severe alcohol withdrawal these days.

It's totally possible to point out the "pie in the sky" flaws that the pro-MJ camp so strongly adheres too without being anti-MJ.

People can do what they want too. Just stop acting like your desire to use a drug for recreational use is also strongly supported by any sort of data.

It is not.

Well . . . maybe. I have personally known two people who said that MJ was the only thing that gave them any kind of workable relief from the pain of terminal cancer.

Yo.......Stupid As Shit........Google "cannabis" and "Alzheimer's" sometime.

Yes, many doctors have stated that cannabis is helpful with slowing down the disease.

It is not.

Well . . . maybe. I have personally known two people who said that MJ was the only thing that gave them any kind of workable relief from the pain of terminal cancer.
George,

Rookie cops and medical students will save the world. :eusa_angel:

It is not.
For the third time in this thread; Marijuana, The Forbidden Medicine, by Dr. Lester Grinspoon, MD, PH.D., Professor (emeritus) of Psychiatric Medicine and Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School. We have the choice of believing what this respected and reputable author has to say on the subject or believing what some arrogant, smart-ass medical student posting on the Internet has to say. I've made my choice and I invite everyone else to do the same.

As for you, what I suggest you do is obtain a copy of Dr. Grinspoon's book, read it, then go to his website and tell him who you are and how wrong you think he is. I'm sure he will be grateful to you for affording him the benefit of your expertise and experience.

You might also wish to visit NORML's website and peruse some of the compiled information there on the subject of current research on the effectiveness of marijuana in treating a variety of afflictions, including cancer.

It could be you are not as smart, or as infallible, as you obviously think you are.

Last edited:
Also, marijuana is a far better tranquilizer than anything the pharmaceutical industry has to offer -- and it's not addictive.
This is still false. Saying it more doesn't make it less false. There are exceedingly better sedatives in medicine that are more easily administered, work faster, work longer, and can be quickly reversed if needed.
Really? Tell us about some of them, and how you know so much about them. Did you get this information from a D.A.R.E. cop at your school?

Furthermore, addiction to and dependence on marijuana is not only possible, but very common. You just don't understand what that word actually means medically because pot doesn't have something like nicotine in it. Marijuana rehab is growing.
Nonsense.

I used marijuana on a very regular basis, as did my late wife, throughout the 60s and 70s. when it was decriminalized in New York City. When Ronald Reagan came to power and the madness descended we decided to stop using it rather than risk arrest or pay the exorbitant prohibition prices. Neither she, nor I, nor any of our many pot-using friends experienced any craving or symptom of even the mildest form of addiction. These addiction tales and opinions you've accepted as truth are pure Reefer Madness propaganda which are rooted in ignorance. The exception to that are those with addictive personalities who become addicted to anything from Pepsi Cola to jelly beans.

The estimate of how many Americans use marijuana is not mine but is NORML's and is based on DEA estimates of how much marijuana is grown in and imported into the U.S. per annum.
You mean if everyone smokes the same amount per month? Hey maybe I should estimate the number of smokers based on one pack per day.
I mean the DEA puts forth estimates on how much marijuana (tonnage) is illegally grown and smuggled into the U.S. in a year, along with estimates of how many Americans use it. From those figures a projection of averages is derived. For the purpose of projecting the potential tax revenue from legalized marijuana the most logical formula would be based on average use, which is about one ounce a month.

GTH has it right. Stop using these immature excuses. Don't point to medicine, or the economy, or even the fact that there are other more harmful substances already legalized as reasons for marijuana. Just call it what it is.
Both you and Dr. GoToHell think you know what you're talking about and all I have to say is keep on believing what you will.

Yes, many doctors have stated that cannabis is helpful with slowing down the disease.
Oh you want me to do your homework? I take it your "source" is google? I just ran the search. Here's what it yielded:
Marijuana ineffective as an Alzheimer's treatment
B.C. Alzheimer’s study finds marijuana no help | Cannabis News - Medical Marijuana, Marijuana News, Hemp, Cannabis
Marijuana Won't Reverse Alzheimer's, Study Claims
New Study Finds Marijuana Does Not Slow Alzheimer’s | Psych Central News

Sure, if you go back to 2005, you may find some hint of the idea in mice, but that suspicion was thoroughly shot down already.

Next time, perhaps you should do your own homework.

For the third time in this thread; Marijuana, The Forbidden Medicine, by Dr. Lester Grinspoon, MD, PH.D., Professor (emeritus) of Psychiatric Medicine and Parmacology, Harvard Medical School. We have the choice of believing what this respected and reputable author has to say on the subject or believing what some arrogant, smart-ass medical student posting on the Internet has to say. I've made my choice and I invite everyone else to do the same.
You can keep quoting a title all you want. It's not evidence. It's not research. It's the opinion of one person. This is not how the scientific or medical fields work. One person's opinion or the anecdotes of an undereducated layman making excuses to legalize something with no indication is not "proof". I don't know how many times I need to say this. Anecdote and personal opinion holds no value on this topic. It only benefits those who sell books to people who don't know better, like yourself.

Go ahead. Cite the book again. See if it convinces anyone this time. Alternately, bring me some damn primary research.

There are exceedingly better sedatives in medicine that are more easily administered, work faster, work longer, and can be quickly reversed if needed.
Really? Tell us about some of them, and how you know so much about them. Did you get this information from a D.A.R.E. cop at your school?
Well, it depends on what your exact use is. Doctors don't just prescribe sedatives for people at home for sedation. There has to be a reason. No, getting high is not a medical indication. For example, Ambien and Sonata are going to be the best sedatives to help with sleep. Just about any pharmaceutical is more easily administered, as there are oral routes and shots that can be given in veins, muscles, and through the skin. Again, they are more easily administered because there are different methods of administration based on the need at the time. Your "need" is getting high. That doesn't help with a flailing patient. Regarding how long they work, marijuana has a rather limited half life. The half life of diazepam can be up to 200 hours, which means it doesn't have the learned addictive properties of shorter acting drugs. Flumazenil can quickly reverse the effects of a number of drugs, and naloxone can quickly reverse opioids.

Marijuana has one useless half-life, a limited number of forms, is not able to be reversed, and in no way trumps the large array of other medications that are better suited for any given reason they are being used with regards to sedation. You seem to have this ridiculous idea that it's avoided in medicine because people see it as bad and illegal. NO. It's just useless compared to other options. Medicine uses otherwise illegal substances every day.

Mike said:
I used marijuana on a very regular basis, as did my late wife, throughout the 60s and 70s. when it was decriminalized in New York City. When Ronald Reagan came to power and the madness descended we decided to stop using it rather than risk arrest or pay the exorbitant prohibition prices. Neither she, nor I, nor any of our many pot-using friends experienced any craving or symptom of even the mildest form of addiction. These addiction tales and opinions you've accepted as truth are pure Reefer Madness propaganda which are rooted in ignorance. The exception to that are those with addictive personalities who become addicted to anything from Pepsi Cola to jelly beans.
Oh you mean you have determined this based on your personal experience and those of a few friends?! Remember what I said about how anecdotal evidence is garbage? Guess what you're providing right now. The fact that you use the word "craving" shows you are completely clueless on this topic, despite the fact that I corrected you previously. Compulsive gamblers do not have "cravings". Addiction is not limited to physical cravings for things like nicotine. Assuming such shows your rather limited view on the topic.

Nonetheless, I have showed you companies built on marijuana rehabilitation. Inpatient psychiatric services are offered to help get people away from it. But hey, that's not real since you don't think you were addicted when you used it every day. :lol:

Oh you want me to do your homework? I take it your "source" is google? I just ran the search. Here's what it yielded:
Marijuana ineffective as an Alzheimer's treatment
B.C. Alzheimer’s study finds marijuana no help | Cannabis News - Medical Marijuana, Marijuana News, Hemp, Cannabis
Marijuana Won't Reverse Alzheimer's, Study Claims
New Study Finds Marijuana Does Not Slow Alzheimer’s | Psych Central News

Sure, if you go back to 2005, you may find some hint of the idea in mice, but that suspicion was thoroughly shot down already.

Next time, perhaps you should do your own homework.

For the third time in this thread; Marijuana, The Forbidden Medicine, by Dr. Lester Grinspoon, MD, PH.D., Professor (emeritus) of Psychiatric Medicine and Parmacology, Harvard Medical School. We have the choice of believing what this respected and reputable author has to say on the subject or believing what some arrogant, smart-ass medical student posting on the Internet has to say. I've made my choice and I invite everyone else to do the same.
You can keep quoting a title all you want. It's not evidence. It's not research. It's the opinion of one person. This is not how the scientific or medical fields work. One person's opinion or the anecdotes of an undereducated layman making excuses to legalize something with no indication is not "proof". I don't know how many times I need to say this. Anecdote and personal opinion holds no value on this topic. It only benefits those who sell books to people who don't know better, like yourself.

Go ahead. Cite the book again. See if it convinces anyone this time. Alternately, bring me some damn primary research.

Hey, Stupid as Shit, all those studies WERE DONE BY THE SAME FUCKING PERSON! All you did is get 1 person that says it does no good, and then REPEATEDLY post the link.

Fucking idiot.

As far as Alzheimer's and cannabis? Check this out.........

Alzheimer's sufferers may benefit from cannabis compound

THC (marijuana) helps cure cancer says Harvard study | NowPublic News Coverage

Medical attributes of Cannabis sativa - Marijuana

Personally? I think I would trust Harvard and the Royal British Medical Society over what you've got.

BTW asshole........if you search long enough and hard enough, you can always find someone to agree with you on the 'net. However...........the more cross references you can get, the better off you are.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket (or in this case, "research" on 1 scientist).

BTW asshole........if you search long enough and hard enough, you can always find someone to agree with you on the 'net.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Merchants-Doubt-Handful-Scientists-Obscured/dp/1596916109]Amazon.com: Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming (9781596916104): Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. Conway: Books[/ame]

Hey, Stupid as Shit, all those studies WERE DONE BY THE SAME FUCKING PERSON! All you did is get 1 person that says it does no good, and then REPEATEDLY post the link.
You told me to google that term because you were too lazy to do your own homework. Those were the results of your own botched request. Don't blame me for your shortcomings.

You seem to have trouble with dates. You see those "studies" you point out, which don't actually cite the research behind it, were debunked by the one I provided. When you point out things from 2007 in mice and a study in 2010 has already disproved it, you really don't have much to go on. But I'm glad to see you did your own homework for a change.

By the way: t r u t h o u t | The Marijuana Cancer Cure Cult

BTW asshole........if you search long enough and hard enough, you can always find someone to agree with you on the 'net. However...........the more cross references you can get, the better off you are.
The search I ran was the one you suggested on google, pulled from the front page. Again, don't bash your own methods just because they don't give you the info you want. This issue still remains to have research debunking your older studies in mice as useless. Sorry.

Oh and in case you forgot: there are already better treatments.
On and in case you forgot: tons of animal studies that look like drugs are promising turn out to be completely useless in humans.
So let's recap: you provide outdated information, that doesn't apply to humans, when better treatments already exist even IF they did apply to humans.

I think you're done now.

You told me to google that term because you were too lazy to do your own homework. Those were the results of your own botched request. Don't blame me for your shortcomings.

You seem to have trouble with dates. You see those "studies" you point out, which don't actually cite the research behind it, were debunked by the one I provided. When you point out things from 2007 in mice and a study in 2010 has already disproved it, you really don't have much to go on. But I'm glad to see you did your own homework for a change.

By the way: t r u t h o u t | The Marijuana Cancer Cure Cult

The search I ran was the one you suggested on google, pulled from the front page. Again, don't bash your own methods just because they don't give you the info you want. This issue still remains to have research debunking your older studies in mice as useless. Sorry.

Oh and in case you forgot: there are already better treatments.
On and in case you forgot: tons of animal studies that look like drugs are promising turn out to be completely useless in humans.
So let's recap: you provide outdated information, that doesn't apply to humans, when better treatments already exist even IF they did apply to humans.

I think you're done now.

Got news for you Dumber than Shit, your references are bullshit, probably put out by DARE or some other bullshit bunch of cons.

Oh yeah.......I was also a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor (DAPA) for the US Navy from 2004 until 2002. It was my job to know about stuff like that.

Is pot addictive? Physically? NO. Is it addictive mentally? Possibly, but people are addicted to all sorts of things mentally............other people (codependency), shopping (shopaholics), gambling, etc. etc. etc.

That isn't as much an effect of the substance itself, as it is that the person who is mentally or psychologically addicted is using a behavior or thing (i.e food) to cover up the underlying problem that was already there.

By the way idiot, have YOU ever tried cannabis?

The journal PHARMACOLOGICAL REVIEWS [2] reports that decades of research prove that, "Compared with legal drugs...marijuana does not pose greater risks." Yet based upon mortality statistics, we can safely conclude that cannabis is one of the safest medical drugs known, for, while prescription drugs, defined as safe by the FDA, kill up to 27,000 and aspirin up to 1,000 Americans per year, cannabis kills 0 per year [3].

When we know the facts we can understand why in 1988, after extensive review of the scientific literature, the DEA's own administrative judge Frances Young concluded that "Marijuana is one of the safest therapeutically active substances know to man.'' [4]

Opponents of legal cannabis access would have us believe that there is not enough research available to determine its safety. Nothing could be further from the truth. Cannabis is one of the most thoroughly researched drugs in history, and the evidence gathered over the centuries clearly proves that it is safe:

* The Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report (1894): an exhaustive seven-volume, 3,281-page report that concludes: "Moderate [cannabis] use produces practically no ill effects." [5][6][7]

* The Panama Canal Military Study (1916-1929), amassing extensive data on the health impact of cannabis smoking upon American soldiers stationed in Panama, recommended that "No steps be taken by the Canal Zone authorities to prevent the sale or use of Marihuana." The research also concluded that, "There is no evidence that Marihuana...is...'habit-forming.'" [7][8]

* The LaGuardia Report (1939-1944), commissioned by New York City Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, which included evidence gathered over thousands of years, concluded that "Smoking marihuana does not lead to addiction... does not lead to morphine, heroin, or cocaine addiction" and that "the publicity concerning the catastrophic effects of marihuana smoking in New York City is unfounded." [7][9]

* The Baroness Wootton Report (1968), commissioned by the Advisory Committee on Drug Dependence of the United Kingdom Home Office, concluded, "There is no evidence that...serious physical dangers are directly associated with the smoking of cannabis." The report also noted that "Cannabis use does not lead to heroin addiction" and that "there is no evidence that [can- nabis]...is producing in otherwise normal people con- ditions of dependence or psychosis, requiring medical treatment." [7][10]

The HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL MENTAL HEALTH LETTER [11] reports the findings of other major cannabis studies:

In three major studies conducted in Jamaica, Costa Rica, and Greece, researchers have compared heavy long-term cannabis users with non-users and found no evidence of intellectual or neurological damage, no changes in personality, and no loss of the will to work or participate in society.
The Jamaican study states that, even as cannabis use in Jamaica "is pervasive" and is used "in heavier quantities with greater THC potency than in the U.S.," its use is "without deleterious social or psychological consequences." [12]

What's more, the three studies cited, the largest human cannabis studies to date, also revealed that heavy long term cannabis users scored slightly higher on IQ tests, had slightly lower rates of illness and cancer, and lived longer on average than non-users. Users also proved to be more relaxed and sociable than non-users [4][12][13]. The best evidence indicates, contrary to GovtMedia disinformation, that cannabis is safe and good for you.

In line with the findings of the Panama Canal study and the LaGuardia Report, current research confirms that the addictive potential of cannabis is very low. The journal TRENDS IN PHARMACOLOGICAL SCIENCES states that research shows cannabis has "limited potential for development of...psychological dependence due to the weak reinforcing properties of Delta-9-THC." [14] BRAIN RESEARCH journal observes that "cannabinoid dependence and withdrawal phenomena are minimal." [15]

Erowid Cannabis Vault : Medical - Cannabis is Safe Medicine

Got news for you Dumber than Shit, your references are bullshit, probably put out by DARE or some other bullshit bunch of cons.

Oh yeah.......I was also a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor (DAPA) for the US Navy from 2004 until 2002. It was my job to know about stuff like that.
And yet you've still clearly shown yourself to be clueless on modern pharmaceutical options, medical indications for pharmaceuticals, AND addiction medicine. I won't argue what the responsibilities of your alleged job were, but it's clear to me you didn't meet them based on the things you've been saying so far. Also, 2004 comes after 2002.

ABiker said:
Is pot addictive? Physically? NO. Is it addictive mentally? Possibly, but people are addicted to all sorts of things mentally............other people (codependency), shopping (shopaholics), gambling, etc. etc. etc.

That isn't as much an effect of the substance itself, as it is that the person who is mentally or psychologically addicted is using a behavior or thing (i.e food) to cover up the underlying problem that was already there.
Wait a minute now. In your previous posts you said it wasn't addictive. Now you're saying it can be?! Well, were you completely wrong before or are you completely wrong now? You tell me.

While you figure out how to resolve your blatantly contradictory statements while claiming it was your job to be knowledgeable on this topic, try to avoid continuing to make up psychology. People cannot be addicted to other people. There is a dependent personality disorder, but it's different than addiction. Things that lead to short term gratification creating learned behaviors, such as sex, or gambling like you mentioned, can cause addictive problems. This is a common theme for the subject of the addiction, regardless of the person, so please don't fabricate such ideas that it "isn't much an effect of the substance". It absolutely is. Nonetheless, I'm glad we've now established that marijuana can and is an addictive substance because it creates learned behaviors from instant gratification, can cause substance dependence, and has spurred the growth of marijuana rehab facilities. You see? Truth isn't all that bad.

The journal PHARMACOLOGICAL REVIEWS [2] reports that decades of research prove that, "Compared with legal drugs...marijuana does not pose greater risks." Yet based upon mortality statistics, we can safely conclude that cannabis is one of the safest medical drugs known, for, while prescription drugs, defined as safe by the FDA, kill up to 27,000 and aspirin up to 1,000 Americans per year, cannabis kills 0 per year [3].
The same thing can be said about a spoonful of sugar. The problem is it too doesn't actually work better than modern pharmaceuticals. Marijuana has fewer risks than surgery, but it's just not going to help with a burst appendix.

BlindBoo said:
* The Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report (1894): an exhaustive seven-volume, 3,281-page report that concludes: "Moderate [cannabis] use produces practically no ill effects."
1894?! Really now?! No please, go on. I want to hear more from what the Hemp Drugs Commission says about marijuana in 1894! :lol:

BlindBoo said:
* The Panama Canal Military Study (1916-1929), amassing extensive data on the health impact of cannabis smoking upon American soldiers stationed in Panama, recommended that "No steps be taken by the Canal Zone authorities to prevent the sale or use of Marihuana." The research also concluded that, "There is no evidence that Marihuana...is...'habit-forming.'"
1929! Oh you're getting better now. We hadn't figured out that TOBACCO was "habit forming", but let's take this expert reaction as something ahead of its time! :lol::lol:

BlindBoo said:
* The LaGuardia Report (1939-1944), commissioned by New York City Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, which included evidence gathered over thousands of years, concluded that "Smoking marihuana does not lead to addiction... does not lead to morphine, heroin, or cocaine addiction" and that "the publicity concerning the catastrophic effects of marihuana smoking in New York City is unfounded."
Still haven't caught on that tobacco is bad, but apparently this study used "evidence gathered over THOUSANDS of years". HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol:

How's that copying and pasting coming along?

The same thing can be said about a spoonful of sugar. The problem is it too doesn't actually work better than modern pharmaceuticals. Marijuana has fewer risks than surgery, but it's just not going to help with a burst appendix.

BlindBoo said:
* The Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report (1894): an exhaustive seven-volume, 3,281-page report that concludes: "Moderate [cannabis] use produces practically no ill effects."
1894?! Really now?! No please, go on. I want to hear more from what the Hemp Drugs Commission says about marijuana in 1894! :lol:

BlindBoo said:
* The Panama Canal Military Study (1916-1929), amassing extensive data on the health impact of cannabis smoking upon American soldiers stationed in Panama, recommended that "No steps be taken by the Canal Zone authorities to prevent the sale or use of Marihuana." The research also concluded that, "There is no evidence that Marihuana...is...'habit-forming.'"
1929! Oh you're getting better now. We hadn't figured out that TOBACCO was "habit forming", but let's take this expert reaction as something ahead of its time! :lol::lol:

BlindBoo said:
* The LaGuardia Report (1939-1944), commissioned by New York City Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, which included evidence gathered over thousands of years, concluded that "Smoking marihuana does not lead to addiction... does not lead to morphine, heroin, or cocaine addiction" and that "the publicity concerning the catastrophic effects of marihuana smoking in New York City is unfounded."
Still haven't caught on that tobacco is bad, but apparently this study used "evidence gathered over THOUSANDS of years". HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol:

How's that copying and pasting coming along?

Better that your non existant rebuttals. :eusa_hand:

Hemp has been one of the most important ag crop in human history.

No one is even arguing that point. I don't care about hemp. I just don't want some old pot head making ridiculous claims about legalizing marijuana on a medical or economic basis, because there really isn't any. Current medicine has superior drugs already, so there's no need for marijuana today. It doesn't matter how safe you think it is if it's completely useless compared to better drugs. That's something your article from over a century ago can't exactly take into account. Antibiotics didn't even exist back then, let alone the myriad of drugs we have today. Similarly, legalizing marijuana will not drastically turn around a damaged economy, as we've already pointed out.

You have one and only one argument to make in this topic: you want marijuana legalized because you feel that the decisions you make regarding your own body should be a personal right that cannot be imposed upon by the government. That's it. Pointing to worse legalized substances, or medicine, or the economy are all just childish excuses. Man up and say what the real issue is here. Leave everyone else out of it.

Forum List

Back