Why is jesus not a jew in churches?

If Jesus was born in Jeruselem then he is Jewish right? But, in every church I have visited both Black and White he is not as the bible describes: woolly hair, brown skin. Instead he is a White man. Why is that?

First of all, a point of clarification. One is not a Jew because one is born in Jerusalem, or anywhere else. One is a Jew because one is born to Jewish parents.

Second, I assume your "he is a white man" comment refers to paintings and statues, and the answer is two words: artistic license. The artist who paints a picture or sculpts a statue of Jesus can make him look like anything he wants. If you don't care for that particular artist's depiction, I heartily suggest you don't buy any of his work.

Oh, one more thing: Jesus wasn't born in Jerusalem, dumbass. He was born in Bethlehem. I'm sure the story's fairly famous.

You would be surprised at the number of people who sing 'Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" and still think he was born in Jerusalem.

I don't think he grew up there either. Mary and Joseph fled with him to Egypt to keep him from being murdered by the Herod's hit men. They later returned to Galilee after Herod died. And Herod was alive and well until Jesus was grown. It was Herod's step daughter, Salome, who danced for him and then demanded the head of John the Baptist. Jesus and John the Baptist were cousins and contemporaries.

There is some thinking that Jesus learned to teach in parables and got a lot of his doctrine from the Egyptian Mystery Schools. There is certainly a story that he was 'initiated' at the Great Pyramid. As the story goes he, as all initiates did, lay in the sarcophagus in the Pyramid. They struck the corner of it with a tuning fork. When they struck it the third time, a piece of the sarcophagus broke off. According to the legend no one was ever initiated in the Great Pyramid again.

No, He didn't grow up there, because His family didn't actually live there. They were just visiting.

The OP was was ridiculous to begin with. What he looked like is not an earthshaking factor. He was born to Jewish parents in Bethlehem and not Jerusalem. Most likely he had a complexion and coloring of any typical Jew of the time. Some Jewish people have said he was a Rabbi and taught from the Torah. Maybe he did what so many other religious leaders have done - put his own twist on what he was teaching and his followers began thinking he was the long-awaited Messiah and got swept away. In any event, most Jews that I know don't consider him the Messiah and are still waiting for the Messiah to come.

Christianity, the worship of Christ, came as a result of what, particularly, his disciples wrote and passed on.

if the messiah had already come, the prophesies would have been fulfilled.

i have no doubt jesus was a good jew but he was also a rabble rouser who tried to get people to stand up to the san hedrin and the priests.

i'd have liked him. he believed in fighting authority and taking care of the poor. a great liberal.

it's what some do in his name that is the problem.

Fighting authority is not the exclusive domain of the left....as the Tea Party has shown us.

Jesus was Conservative as you can get. He just wasn't heartless like liberals always claim Conservatives are.

If Jesus was born in Jeruselem then he is Jewish right? But, in every church I have visited both Black and White he is not as the bible describes: woolly hair, brown skin. Instead he is a White man. Why is that?

because the people who did the artwork were white men.

d'uh.

Depends on the artwork.

i don't think there were any who weren't white males who drew him that way, especially initially. could be wrong.

i don't think there were any who weren't white males who drew him that way, especially initially. could be wrong.

Well blacks and arabs wouldn't have drawn him back then. After all....he was a white guy.

um... no. it's that he wasn't anything but a rabble rouser to the people then. it's only years later that he became big news.

He was big news to his followers.

The deal is Jesus is depicted by the artists of the day. Most of the time it was whites.

But really....does it matter what he looked like anyway?

jesus-sepia.jpg

Last edited:
This is the OP and I do not undestand why I have to be called names such as dumbass and ridiculous just b/c I asked a simple question or so I thought? I realize that I made a mistake stating where Jesus was born and admit to that. I thank alll of you for answering my question...it has been very educational.

The OP was was ridiculous to begin with. What he looked like is not an earthshaking factor. He was born to Jewish parents in Bethlehem and not Jerusalem. Most likely he had a complexion and coloring of any typical Jew of the time. Some Jewish people have said he was a Rabbi and taught from the Torah. Maybe he did what so many other religious leaders have done - put his own twist on what he was teaching and his followers began thinking he was the long-awaited Messiah and got swept away. In any event, most Jews that I know don't consider him the Messiah and are still waiting for the Messiah to come.

Christianity, the worship of Christ, came as a result of what, particularly, his disciples wrote and passed on.

i have no doubt jesus was a good jew but he was also a rabble rouser who tried to get people to stand up to the san hedrin and the priests.

i'd have liked him. he believed in fighting authority and taking care of the poor. a great liberal.

Fighting authority is not the exclusive domain of the left....as the Tea Party has shown us.

Jesus was Conservative as you can get. He just wasn't heartless like liberals always claim Conservatives are.

Jesus a conservative? :lol:
Just like Rush Limbaugh?:lol::lol::lol:

Folks that are old enough to know remember the days when politics was not discussed in church. People would have rather stand up in church and fart than be as tacky as to label their political ideology in a house of worship.
Then came the right wing Republicans with Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and the circus began.
Dude, Jesus was not political and Christianity is not founded on a political philosophy.

Folks that are old enough to know remember the days when politics was not discussed in church. People would have rather stand up in church and fart than be as tacky as to label their political ideology in a house of worship.
Then came the right wing Republicans with Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and the circus began.
Dude, Jesus was not political and Christianity is not founded on a political philosophy.
then how come you didnt condemn or ridicules the claim of Jesus being a liberal?

That's Irish Jesus.

I've never seen an Aryan Jesus, but Jesus pictures I see seem a lot whiter than those who were native of the Fertile Crescent.

then how come you didnt condemn or ridicules the claim of Jesus being a liberal?

I did.
Jesus wasn't that stupid.

because the people who did the artwork were white men.

d'uh.

Depends on the artwork.

As someone pointed out, different cultures tend to portray Him as resembling themselves. And despite the OP's limited experience, not all churches portray Him as white.

I think a lot of artists are constrained now by classical depictions of Him, and feel as though their portrayals need to at least vaguely resemble those in order for the subject matter to be recognized. Most of the better portrayals I've seen in churches lately depict Him much the way modern-day Jewish men in Western countries look, I assume because that's the source material they have to draw from.

jesus was a radical.

a "conservative" would have let them stone the woman saying she needed to "take personal responsibility".

you might not want to mention the "tea party" in the same breath as you mention jesus. i have more respect for him than that.

jesus was a radical.

a "conservative" would have let them stone the woman saying she needed to "take personal responsibility".

you might not want to mention the "tea party" in the same breath as you mention jesus. i have more respect for him than that.
yeah, cause the tea party people want to kill people
:rolleyes:
come on Jill, you're smarter than that

The problem we have these days with religion is that many so called "Christians" go around and label themselves as such and then label others what they believe in their feeble minds who they are.
If you are really a Christian and CHRISTLIKE, you never have to tell anyone or ask anyone what their beliefs are.
They will know you follow Jesus by your ACTIONS.

you think jesus would have approved of them saying "cut off unemployment insurance because it makes people lazy"?

you think jesus ever said a thing about gays?

no. he said 'judge not'.

the exact opposite of tea partiy types.

jesus was a radical, not a reactionary.

read the posts of the people on this board. they don't all approach things rationally. no?

you think jesus would have approved of them saying "cut off unemployment insurance because it makes people lazy"?

you think jesus ever said a thing about gays?

no. he said 'judge not'.

the exact opposite of tea partiy types.

jesus was a radical, not a reactionary.

read the posts of the people on this board. they don't all approach things rationally. no?
actually, Jesus wouldnt have had a problem with the government not paying unemployment benefits
nor would he be in favor of gay marriage
and while he did say "judge not" it was followed with "lest ye be judged, by what judgement ye judge ye shall be judged"
not quite the "do not judge" that so many want to make it, now was it?

Forum List

Back