Why is jesus not a jew in churches?

If Jesus was born in Jeruselem then he is Jewish right? But, in every church I have visited both Black and White he is not as the bible describes: woolly hair, brown skin. Instead he is a White man. Why is that?

I've been in some churches that describe him as a woolly hair, brown skinned Jew of the Hebrew sect. Jesus difinitly was not a caucasian lad.
Zola Levitt (a Jew) turned to Christianity in the early 70s. He followed Messianic Judaism or Jews for Jesus as it is sometimes called. Gentiles weren't followers of Jesus until sometime after he died. Paul (Saul) was the first to preach to them. JEWS (or brown skinned folks) were the FIRST Christians.
But his (Jesus) race never came up much though. The main point was that he died and shed his blood for ALL of us. Regardless of what color our worthless hide is.

Every race has drawn Jesus to look like them in their art. Chinese jesus is pretty cool

jesus_discovery.jpg

If Jesus was born in Jeruselem then he is Jewish right? But, in every church I have visited both Black and White he is not as the bible describes: woolly hair, brown skin. Instead he is a White man. Why is that?

First of all, a point of clarification. One is not a Jew because one is born in Jerusalem, or anywhere else. One is a Jew because one is born to Jewish parents.

Second, I assume your "he is a white man" comment refers to paintings and statues, and the answer is two words: artistic license. The artist who paints a picture or sculpts a statue of Jesus can make him look like anything he wants. If you don't care for that particular artist's depiction, I heartily suggest you don't buy any of his work.

Oh, one more thing: Jesus wasn't born in Jerusalem, dumbass. He was born in Bethlehem. I'm sure the story's fairly famous.

Last edited:
The OP was was ridiculous to begin with. What he looked like is not an earthshaking factor. He was born to Jewish parents in Bethlehem and not Jerusalem. Most likely he had a complexion and coloring of any typical Jew of the time. Some Jewish people have said he was a Rabbi and taught from the Torah. Maybe he did what so many other religious leaders have done - put his own twist on what he was teaching and his followers began thinking he was the long-awaited Messiah and got swept away. In any event, most Jews that I know don't consider him the Messiah and are still waiting for the Messiah to come.

Christianity, the worship of Christ, came as a result of what, particularly, his disciples wrote and passed on.

First of all, a point of clarification. One is not a Jew because one is born in Jerusalem, or anywhere else. One is a Jew because one is born to Jewish parents.

Second, I assume your "he is a white man" comment refers to paintings and statues, and the answer is two words: artistic license. The artist who paints a picture or sculpts a statue of Jesus can make him look like anything he wants. If you don't care for that particular artist's depiction, I heartily suggest you don't buy any of his work.

Oh, one more thing: Jesus wasn't born in Jerusalem, dumbass. He was born in Bethlehem. I'm sure the story's fairly famous.

You would be surprised at the number of people who sing 'Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" and still think he was born in Jerusalem.

I don't think he grew up there either. Mary and Joseph fled with him to Egypt to keep him from being murdered by the Herod's hit men. They later returned to Galilee after Herod died. And Herod was alive and well until Jesus was grown. It was Herod's step daughter, Salome, who danced for him and then demanded the head of John the Baptist. Jesus and John the Baptist were cousins and contemporaries.

There is some thinking that Jesus learned to teach in parables and got a lot of his doctrine from the Egyptian Mystery Schools. There is certainly a story that he was 'initiated' at the Great Pyramid. As the story goes he, as all initiates did, lay in the sarcophagus in the Pyramid. They struck the corner of it with a tuning fork. When they struck it the third time, a piece of the sarcophagus broke off. According to the legend no one was ever initiated in the Great Pyramid again.

Last edited:

because the people who did the artwork were white men.

d'uh.
and used "artistic license"
which is why my search link was to Orthodox Icons of Jesus

The OP was was ridiculous to begin with. What he looked like is not an earthshaking factor. He was born to Jewish parents in Bethlehem and not Jerusalem. Most likely he had a complexion and coloring of any typical Jew of the time. Some Jewish people have said he was a Rabbi and taught from the Torah. Maybe he did what so many other religious leaders have done - put his own twist on what he was teaching and his followers began thinking he was the long-awaited Messiah and got swept away. In any event, most Jews that I know don't consider him the Messiah and are still waiting for the Messiah to come.

Christianity, the worship of Christ, came as a result of what, particularly, his disciples wrote and passed on.

if the messiah had already come, the prophesies would have been fulfilled.

i have no doubt jesus was a good jew but he was also a rabble rouser who tried to get people to stand up to the san hedrin and the priests.

i'd have liked him. he believed in fighting authority and taking care of the poor. a great liberal.

it's what some do in his name that is the problem.

if the messiah had already come, the prophesies would have been fulfilled.

i have no doubt jesus was a good jew but he was also a rabble rouser who tried to get people to stand up to the san hedrin and the priests.

i'd have liked him. he believed in fighting authority and taking care of the poor. a great liberal.

it's what some do in his name that is the problem.

I have no problem with what you've posted Jillian. I thought I said that most Jews I knew were still waiting for the Messiah to come. He may or may not have been a rabble rouser, but he had people who followed him - perhaps he was very charismatic. The apostles were the one who first started spreading the word. Then there were those like the wife of Constantine (I think) who believed and wanted others to come into the church as well. Between the followers of Christ and then the Catholic Church, the way to get others involved was to incorporate some of the major gods they worshiped. With the passage of time all the festivals, ceremonies, rites, etc. just kind of melded into one religion. Then came those like Martin Luther and John Knox and others who disagreed with parts of the Catholic Church beliefs and pulled out along with like-minded friends/believers to form their own churches.

I sort of have a tendency to stick with the teachings in the Old Testament.

What irritates the hell out of me is that those who don't believe want to force everybody who does believe - particularly Christians - to be stripped of their beliefs. They should be charged with hate crimes because that's exactly what it is. I don't care if they believe or not but leave everybody who does believe alone. Period.

NEW TESTAMENT update:

Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Jesus was a semetic person, aka arabic.

The "pictures" that portray him as a blond blue eyed white man are example of how wrong religion is and the racism and arrogance of humans in their worship of their gods.

I got a whipping for asking about this in sunday school one time.
Question nothing in church is how I was raised.
btw it is the same denomination as Palin belongs to.

Jesus is a descendant of Isaac who was what would later be called Hebrew which is white.

Arabs are descendants of Ishmael the son of an Egyptian which is black or was at the time.

They are related by blood but not by race because the father of both, Abraham, was Hebrew.

Chances are Jesus had curly hair like many pure Jews have today but light skin that was tanned from the Sun.

Last edited:
Jesus was a semetic person, aka arabic.

The "pictures" that portray him as a blond blue eyed white man are example of how wrong religion is and the racism and arrogance of humans in their worship of their gods.

I got a whipping for asking about this in sunday school one time.
Question nothing in church is how I was raised.
btw it is the same denomination as Palin belongs to.

Jesus is a descendant of Isaac who was what would later be called Hebrew which is white.

Arabs are descendants of Ishmael the son of an Egyptian which is black or was at the time.

They are related by blood but not by race because the father of both, Abraham, was Hebrew.

Chances are Jesus had curly hair like many pure Jews have today but light skin that was tanned from the Sun.

jesus probably had the same coloring as this:

dr_omar.jpg

Forum List

Back