why does newt steal?

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich faces a lawsuit over his use of Eye of the Tiger, the theme song to the movie Rocky III, court documents show.

The claim for copyright infringement, lodged on Monday by Rude Music Inc in an Illinois federal court, relates to Gingrich's use of the song at his political rallies.

Newt Gingrich sued for using Eye of the Tiger as campaign song | World news | guardian.co.uk

i believe it's pretty easy and relatively cheap to use a song commercially, but i guess it's above newt's pay grade. :lol:

I have no doubt that Calitwat will be along shortly to revile Newt's disrespect for intellectual property rights.

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich faces a lawsuit over his use of Eye of the Tiger, the theme song to the movie Rocky III, court documents show.

The claim for copyright infringement, lodged on Monday by Rude Music Inc in an Illinois federal court, relates to Gingrich's use of the song at his political rallies.

Newt Gingrich sued for using Eye of the Tiger as campaign song | World news | guardian.co.uk

i believe it's pretty easy and relatively cheap to use a song commercially, but i guess it's above newt's pay grade. :lol:

And you care enough to start a thread because?

Last edited:

And you care enough to start a thead because?

it amuses me to start a thead about it :lol:

Oh, Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. "Stealing". Don't be an ignorant twat.

This sort of argument has been going on ever since the advent of recorded music, and it's basically settled law that playing a song at a campaign rally is NOT a violation of US copyright law. I remember Bruce Springsteen trying this same crap on Reagan over the song, "Born In The USA". Would you like to accuse Ronald Reagan of "stealing", too? Or how about Obama using "Soul Man", or John McCain using songs by Van Halen, the Foo Fighters, ABBA, John Mellencamp, and Heart?

Under American copyright law, only the composer is entitled to royalties from a public performance of his song, and those royalties are paid through a blanket license issued to the venue, not to the person performing or playing the song or the person holding the rally. The person who actually performed the recording is SOL on that score. If someone would like to suggest that the venues where his rallies have played the song have not kept their blanket licenses paid up, well, then THEY can be sued, but it's still not Newt's fault.

Now, if Newt had been using the recordings in campaign advertisements without permission from the legal owner of the recording, that would be different.

I like this part:

The complaint states that the violation it alleges is intentional since Gingrich is "sophisticated and knowledgeable" concerning copyright laws.

I'm sure he is, which is why he knows he doesn't have to pay that dickwad anything.

And you care enough to start a thead because?

it amuses me to start a thead about it :lol:

Fair enough. The entire Republican race for the nomination and debate process is both amusing and terrifying.

A thead by any other name is still a thead.

Last edited:

This sort of argument has been going on ever since the advent of recorded music, and it's basically settled law that playing a song at a campaign rally is NOT a violation of US copyright law. I remember Bruce Springsteen trying this same crap on Reagan over the song, "Born In The USA". Would you like to accuse Ronald Reagan of "stealing", too? Or how about Obama using "Soul Man", or John McCain using songs by Van Halen, the Foo Fighters, ABBA, John Mellencamp, and Heart?

Under American copyright law, only the composer is entitled to royalties from a public performance of his song, and those royalties are paid through a blanket license issued to the venue, not to the person performing or playing the song or the person holding the rally. The person who actually performed the recording is SOL on that score. If someone would like to suggest that the venues where his rallies have played the song have not kept their blanket licenses paid up, well, then THEY can be sued, but it's still not Newt's fault.

Now, if Newt had been using the recordings in campaign advertisements without permission from the legal owner of the recording, that would be different.

I like this part:

The complaint states that the violation it alleges is intentional since Gingrich is "sophisticated and knowledgeable" concerning copyright laws.

I'm sure he is, which is why he knows he doesn't have to pay that dickwad anything.

how're the new nipple clamps working out, twat?

So it is ok to steal copyrighted material?

You would think different if it was YOUR copyrighted material.

don't complain about China violating patent/copyright laws then.

I like this part:

Way to admit you were wrong and have no response.

I like this part:

^ Proof that penning a convincing argument is easy if you don't burden yourself with facts.

I like this part:

^ Proof that penning a convincing argument is easy if you don't burden yourself with facts.

I would agree with ya, but you would just neg me again :D

I like this part:

Way to admit you were wrong and have no response.

more like way to admit i never read your bullshit, quiff. :thup:

but make of it what you will

now, scat!

ooooh, poor choice of words....

Forum List

Back