why does newt steal?

So it is ok to steal copyrighted material?

You would think different if it was YOUR copyrighted material.

don't complain about China violating patent/copyright laws then.

What part of "it's not stealing" blew past you?

See, in order to violate a law, there has to be a law against what you're doing. In order to steal, it has to be illegal for him to use the song, and as I've already pointed out, it's not.

And no, since I'm not an ignorant liberal, I don't think with my emotions. I might not LIKE it if it was my song, but I wouldn't suddenly think the law was something it's not.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with China violating actual laws actually on the book, but then, I guess actual, written law doesn't mean much to you, huh?

Oh, Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. "Stealing". Don't be an ignorant twat.

This sort of argument has been going on ever since the advent of recorded music, and it's basically settled law that playing a song at a campaign rally is NOT a violation of US copyright law. I remember Bruce Springsteen trying this same crap on Reagan over the song, "Born In The USA". Would you like to accuse Ronald Reagan of "stealing", too? Or how about Obama using "Soul Man", or John McCain using songs by Van Halen, the Foo Fighters, ABBA, John Mellencamp, and Heart?

Under American copyright law, only the composer is entitled to royalties from a public performance of his song, and those royalties are paid through a blanket license issued to the venue, not to the person performing or playing the song or the person holding the rally. The person who actually performed the recording is SOL on that score. If someone would like to suggest that the venues where his rallies have played the song have not kept their blanket licenses paid up, well, then THEY can be sued, but it's still not Newt's fault.

Now, if Newt had been using the recordings in campaign advertisements without permission from the legal owner of the recording, that would be different.

I like this part:

The complaint states that the violation it alleges is intentional since Gingrich is "sophisticated and knowledgeable" concerning copyright laws.

I'm sure he is, which is why he knows he doesn't have to pay that dickwad anything.

^ Proof that penning a convincing argument is easy if you don't burden yourself with facts.

^ Proof that claiming someone is wrong is a lot easier than proving it.

This sort of argument has been going on ever since the advent of recorded music, and it's basically settled law that playing a song at a campaign rally is NOT a violation of US copyright law. I remember Bruce Springsteen trying this same crap on Reagan over the song, "Born In The USA". Would you like to accuse Ronald Reagan of "stealing", too? Or how about Obama using "Soul Man", or John McCain using songs by Van Halen, the Foo Fighters, ABBA, John Mellencamp, and Heart?

Under American copyright law, only the composer is entitled to royalties from a public performance of his song, and those royalties are paid through a blanket license issued to the venue, not to the person performing or playing the song or the person holding the rally. The person who actually performed the recording is SOL on that score. If someone would like to suggest that the venues where his rallies have played the song have not kept their blanket licenses paid up, well, then THEY can be sued, but it's still not Newt's fault.

Now, if Newt had been using the recordings in campaign advertisements without permission from the legal owner of the recording, that would be different.

I like this part:

The complaint states that the violation it alleges is intentional since Gingrich is "sophisticated and knowledgeable" concerning copyright laws.

I'm sure he is, which is why he knows he doesn't have to pay that dickwad anything.

^ Proof that penning a convincing argument is easy if you don't burden yourself with facts.

^
proof that anal beads cause brain damage

I like this part:

^ Proof that ironic retort is ironic.

I wonder how many pages of mindless "Newt sucks! He's guilty! You're wrong, but I can't prove it! My vagina has sand in it!" it'll take for any of you dickless wonders to actually attempt to say something meaningful.

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich faces a lawsuit over his use of Eye of the Tiger, the theme song to the movie Rocky III, court documents show.

The claim for copyright infringement, lodged on Monday by Rude Music Inc in an Illinois federal court, relates to Gingrich's use of the song at his political rallies.

Newt Gingrich sued for using Eye of the Tiger as campaign song | World news | guardian.co.uk

i believe it's pretty easy and relatively cheap to use a song commercially, but i guess it's above newt's pay grade. :lol:

rightwingnuts seem to have issues with intellectual property. maybe it's the intellectual part that confuses them.

Last edited:
I wonder how many pages of mindless "Newt sucks! He's guilty! You're wrong, but I can't prove it! My vagina has sand in it!" it'll take for any of you dickless wonders to actually attempt to say something meaningful.

You first. :thup:

i'm all about meaningful

i should think that's obvious

sorry to hear about your vajajay, cess, but i'm sure it's had worse

buck up

Forum List

Back