Zone1 Why Does God Allow Us to Suffer?

That is an outstanding point. Most likely the best thought of the day.
One different question: What do we learn from suffering?

What other questions should we be investigating?
"How could our limited languages and our thoughts that are limited by those languages ever hope to be able to conceive of a genuine Creator of All and Everything in other than metaphorical terms?"

"How could our limited languages and our thoughts that are limited by those languages ever hope to be able to conceive of a genuine Creator of All and Everything in other than metaphorical terms?"
A better question is what good would it do us if we weren't able to conceive of a genuine Creator of All and Everything? Because even our limited understanding still adds tremendous value if we are genuine in our journey. I can't imagine how I would get through my life without God in it. I've lived both ways. I don't want to go back.

That is an outstanding point. Most likely the best thought of the day.
One different question: What do we learn from suffering?

What other questions should we be investigating?
It seems to me that most major religions address "suffering" but not all in the same way. Or at least my perception is that they differ on their approach. I like the Christian way the best. Just lean into it.

It seems to me that most major religions address "suffering" but not all in the same way. Or at least my perception is that they differ on their approach. I like the Christian way the best. Just lean into it.
It was pointed out when I was a teenager, we often learn more and grow better during times of suffering. It was also pointed out that self-harm is not the same as suffering. (The teacher was dealing with teenagers, after all.)

God isn't a mystery to be solved through theology. God is a relationship to be entered into.

Seems to me you are looking for excuses not to take that step. Seems like a waste of your time to me. You don't need to rationalize your choice.
Well, you're right about one thing. Discussing religion/god here is a total waste of my time. Christians are way too deceitful. Where you are in error is thinking there is any kind of choice for me to make. I would never worship any god that judges me.

Well, you're right about one thing. Discussing religion/god here is a total waste of my time. Christians are way too deceitful. Where you are in error is thinking there is any kind of choice for me to make. I would never worship any god that judges me.
Give an example of Christians (plural) being way too deceitful. Putting judgment aside, would you serve/worship God who loves you?

How so? I don't know the details of posters' lives and what they have gone through. Since it was mentioned, I am open to more sharing. Which you are, naturally, free to skip past.
Asking adults to worship someone.... disgusting. Childish. Immoral. If you don't understand why, it shows what religion can do to an otherwise capable mind.

I might be inclined to do so if you were to ask instead of demanding I do so.
I'm sorry. I was asking. I should have used a question mark, so it would not have been mistaken as a demand, but I am truly interested in what you have experienced, should you care to share?

Would that include men who lay with men, or are they an abomination?
God works with a broken people. Including murderers. That does not mean there are no consequences today for wrong actions. God meets us where we are and offers a new direction. Even so...we remain a broken people and sometimes do not succeed in overcoming what has been broken.

God works with a broken people. Including murderers. That does not mean there are no consequences today for wrong actions
Homosexuality is not wrong. It's a different lifestyle. Slavery is wrong yet it is permitted per the bible. Murder is wrong yet capital punishment is permitted.

God meets us where we are and offers a new direction.
His direction.

Even so...we remain a broken people and sometimes do not succeed in overcoming what has been broken.
We are not broken.

Forum List

Back