Why are US Homes Made of Wood and Bricks Instead of Concrete?

I’ve watched those wood houses going up, with cardboard walls. (Sorry :))

And l’ve wondered how they were strong enough to support hardwood floors, staircases, bathrooms with all the fittings.
that is cardboard sheathing not walls,,, all other stress measures are being done outside of the sheathing,,
still a stupid idea to save a few bucks,,

I recognized what you said and what's "all bullshit?"
about no concrete in older homes cracking from earthquakes....today i realize they have that new concrete....but back then it wasnt a great idea to build a concrete or brick house in S.Cal....

that is cardboard sheathing not walls,,, all other stress measures are being done outside of the sheathing,,
still a stupid idea to save a few bucks,,
On the custom homes we build the exterior walls are all osb plywood. All bearing points and structural engineering of floor and roof trusses even relating to wind sheer is laid out in a thick packet we get. Sometimes huge girder roof trusses are nailed together and have beefy hangers to support the upper floor.
20160921_161316-1.jpg

This massive 22,000 sq ft house we did has poured concrete wall for the walkout basement, the main floor is span crete forms that we built the rest of the wood structure above. All studs were engineered lumber, garage headers were massive steel beams.
Roof sheeting was 3/4 inch plywood.
It was a complicated puzzle to put together.

On the custom homes we build the exterior walls are all osb plywood. All bearing points and structural engineering of floor and roof trusses even relating to wind sheer is laid out in a thick packet we get. Sometimes huge girder roof trusses are nailed together and have beefy hangers to support the upper floor.
View attachment 868130

This massive 22,000 sq ft house we did has poured concrete wall for the walkout basement, the main floor is span crete forms that we built the rest of the wood structure above. All studs were engineered lumber, garage headers were massive steel beams.
Roof sheeting was 3/4 inch plywood.
It was a complicated puzzle to put together.
some people are using a cardboard sheathing,,

some people are using a cardboard sheathing,,

Yeah. I have seen some builders use 1/2 inch foam for exterior walls. Usually the big national builders do that crap.
They slop up townhomes and poorly built houses with pre made wall panels using cheap and inexperienced labor.
Worked for one of those outfits before I went to a proper high end builder.

Yeah. I have seen some builders use 1/2 inch foam for exterior walls. Usually the big national builders do that crap.
They slop up townhomes and poorly built houses with pre made wall panels using cheap and inexperienced labor.
Worked for one of those outfits before I went to a proper high end builder.
45 of my 58 yrs I have lived in houses built before 1912,, the newest house is a 1960s for a few yrs,,
I far prefer old houses over most of the new stuff,,

a code inspector would lose his mind inspecting an old house like that,,

45 of my 58 yrs I have lived in houses built before 1912,, the newest house is a 1960s for a few yrs,,
I far prefer old houses over most of the new stuff,,

a code inspector would lose his mind inspecting an old house like that,,
I have never seen that cardboard crap.
More extreme winter climate here though.

Look what $1.1 million fetches you in close-In Arlington: a 1930 bungalow.

And speaking of Arlington.

They store pallets there to keep them warm. ;)
then they burn the pallets and take down the interstate. oh well ...

i am of the public health faction when dealing with the homeless. whatever right you gave to live on public property is limited by public health concerns.

i really do not care if they are rounded up into old atmy barracks or put up in hotels, but they must be

1. treated humanely and
2. taken off the street amd
3. triaged and channeled through any kind of help they need to rejoin the populace.

i help `homeless veterans to find jobs and the va programs that help. incredibly difficult to get people to help themselves after they have been beaten down that much.

i am of the public health faction when dealing with the homeless. whatever right you gave to live on public property is limited by public health concerns.

i really do not care if they are rounded up into old atmy barracks or put up in hotels, but they must be

1. treated humanely and
3. triaged and channeled through any kind of help they need to rejoin the populace.

i help `homeless veterans to find jobs and the va programs that help. incredibly difficult to get people to help themselves after they have been beaten down that much.
Good for you!

Me, I turn them in to the cops when I'm out and see them least they get a toe-hold in my AO. ;)

1. treated humanely and

what if they dont want our help and go right back to living under the bridge??

Forum List

Back