Why are US Homes Made of Wood and Bricks Instead of Concrete?

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
Are you wondering why US homes are made from wood and bricks instead of concrete? In this article, I’ll share some of my research on the topic and give you some ideas.

There are a few reasons why US homes are made of wood and bricks instead of concrete. The first reason is availability. The USA has vast forests to supply building materials. Second, history plays a large role in how people build their homes, as does American culture and style.

In the sections below, we’ll do a deeper dive into why US homes are primarily made of lumber instead of concrete.

^
Here are several reasons Americans build houses with wood instead of concrete:

1. Wood is readily available for houses
  2. Wooden houses are faster to frame and build
  3. Americans like the options of wooden houses
  4. Americans like the feel and style of wooden houses
Let’s look at each of these options in more depth. Then, in the later sections, we’ll talk about some more reasons why Americans build homes with lumber.

Most people would rather not live in a Soviet-style concrete box.
Have you noticed that new townhouse developments all have the same square concrete design? I think it’s all in the name of “equity” - everyone is the same.

Have you noticed that new townhouse developments all have the same square concrete design? I think it’s all in the name of “equity” - everyone is the same.

Simple design easy to build. Cost.

Simple design easy to build. Cost.
Boring. I’m sure glad I bought my very interesting and unique-style townhouse 20 years ago.

But as far as cost, a new block of them are going up a mile from me. Cost for a three-bedroom, Soviet-style concrete block? In excess of $1 million. And not even within walking distance of the Metro.

Nope, nothing in my AO like that, must be a city thing.

Wood is a great building material for almost too many reasons to list.

in S.Cal concrete or brick houses wont work....one decent quake and you will have foundation cracks.....
The San Andreas fault is 800 miles long from N.Cal to the South. The probability of a quake is the same for any area of the fault. Actual quakes happen almost daily in geothermal Lake County in N.Cal.
A concrete built home can actually be safer than any other. Many have been built in the Santa Rosa area.

in S.Cal concrete or brick houses wont work....one decent quake and you will have foundation cracks.....

While in tornado country, wood ones are blown away, while the residents huddle in the basement. (Made of concrete).

While in tornado country, wood ones are blown away, while the residents huddle in the basement. (Made of concrete).
As are brick ones. The bricks are just a facade. It is still a wood house with a wider foundation so they have a bed to lay the bricks on. It is the basement, not the house that protects though people BTW. Being below grade gets you out of the debris flying about as well.

As are brick ones. The bricks are just a facade. It is still a wood house with a wider foundation so they have a bed to lay the bricks on. It is the basement, not the house that protects though people BTW. Being below grade gets you out of the debris flying about as well.

Someone told me those brick facades are stuck on.

Some of those houses, with small back gardens, in the D.C. suburbs, are selling for about a million. $ .

I think the basic point is that houses built in Western Europe are intended to last "forever," while houses in the U.S. are intended to last "long enough." If well-taken care of (see New England), a wooden structure can last for many generations, but the Bottom Line is that people are willing to pay for LOCATION, lowest cost, and most features, even if the house is crap. If a builder offered a house that would last forever, he wouldn't be able to get the premium price necessary to make that improvement from the norm.

Aside from houses for the truly wealthy, the only people who are making houses to last are builders who are building their own homes. At least in my experience.

Someone told me those brick facades are stuck on.

Some of those houses, with small back gardens, in the D.C. suburbs, are selling for about a million. $ .
Look what $1.1 million fetches you in close-In Arlington: a 1930 bungalow.

Look what $1.1 million fetches you in close-In Arlington: a 1930 bungalow.

Really? :oops:

I was looking at some in California. Tiny!

Forum List

Back