1969 H&R 930 .22 Revolver

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I found a 9-shot H&R 930 .22 revolver (nickeled) this morning at the local pawn shop. I gave $200.00 for it. It came with a little pigskin holster. It was made in 1969.

hr 002 (2).JPG

I have a blued example (929) of the same revolver (same year too) but I never pass them by if they are in decent shape for $200.00 or less.

hr 003 (2).JPG

I found a 9-shot H&R 930 .22 revolver (nickeled) this morning at the local pawn shop. I gave $200.00 for it. It came with a little pigskin holster. It was made in 1969.

View attachment 866938
I have a blued example (929) of the same revolver (same year too) but I never pass them by if they are in decent shape for $200.00 or less.

View attachment 866944
I never have understood why people will buy a Heritage revolver over a reasonably priced older revolver.

The best "review" is to simply ask a shop how many have been returned to be sent back....In the Heritage's case, a lot.

But if you have to scratch the cowboy-type .22 itch for <$50.00 more you can get a Ruger Wrangler.
I was thinking on getting a .22 mag.

What's the point? The ammo costs a lot more than standard .22 LR, and doesn't pack enough extra punch to make it anything more than a better varmint gun.

American Eagle 9mm Luger 124-Grain Centerfire Handgun Ammunition - 50 Rounds. $21.99. 44.0¢ per round

This means that 22 Magnum ammo will typically be more expensive and harder to find than 22 LR. In terms of cost, a brick of 500 rounds of 22 LR can be had for around $0.11/round compared to $0.35/round for 22 WMR (a 3x difference in cost).

Other than bragging rights, why would you want a .22 WMR

American Eagle 9mm Luger 124-Grain Centerfire Handgun Ammunition - 50 Rounds. $21.99. 44.0¢ per round

This means that 22 Magnum ammo will typically be more expensive and harder to find than 22 LR. In terms of cost, a brick of 500 rounds of 22 LR can be had for around $0.11/round compared to $0.35/round for 22 WMR (a 3x difference in cost).

I'd also like a Walther PPK. Doesn't mean I'll eventually own one.
It's just something I've been thinking about getting.
Primary reason not to is the price.
They're way over priced.

I'd also like a Walther PPK. Doesn't mean I'll eventually own one.
It's just something I've been thinking about getting.
Primary reason not to is the price.
They're way over priced.

Unless you're a "collector" the reason to have a gun is because you want to shoot it.
Just like most of us buy cars because we went to drive them.
Which means it must be practical to do so.
YMMV

Unless you're a "collector" the reason to have a gun is because you want to shoot it.
Just like most of us buy cars because we went to drive them.
Which means it must be practical to do so.
YMMV
I'm a collector. I started collecting when I retired from government service 3 years ago. Sure I want to shoot them.
I can't shoot them right now because it's difficult to go to the range. Not sure what my wife would do if she heard guns firing. It's bad enough when she sees it on TV.
So I just collect them for right now.
I figure if I have to I can sell some of them if the bottom falls out.

I saw one at my LGS and it's GTG as best as I can tell it's GTG. I figure I'll get one when they come out with a shorter barrel length version.

I'd never use the .22 Mag cylinder most likely for the reasons explained above but I like the idea of the adjustable sights.

Another benefit of the Wrangler is that you can do the "10 second trigger job" on them....Just remove one grip panel, and drop one leg of the hammer spring off it's stud. It reduces the pull by half.

I'm a collector. I started collecting when I retired from government service 3 years ago. Sure I want to shoot them.
I can't shoot them right now because it's difficult to go to the range. Not sure what my wife would do if she heard guns firing. It's bad enough when she sees it on TV.
So I just collect them for right now.
I figure if I have to I can sell some of them if the bottom falls out.
Actually you should have lead with "I'm a collector"
Happy hunting.

Gettin' a bit gun snobbish aren't ya?

Now I would agree that a .22 mag in a revolver barrel ain't all that but in the case of the convertibles like the Ruger you get adjustable sights because they found out decades ago that .22 mag and .22 LR will have different POIs, thus the adjustable sights.

Back when Ruger did the early (old Model) Single Six recall they offered a .22 WRM cylinder for cheap if you sent your revolver in for the safety upgrade.

That's when they found out about the different POI between the two. Customers hated the upgrade because the trigger-pull doubled and .22 WMR would not shoot with the .22 lr regulated sights.

Actually you should have lead with "I'm a collector"
Happy hunting.
I never collected much because we always had access to military weapons when I was on a team at 5th Group.
This stuff is just my bucket list.
I like having something to protect myself at home or when I'm out.
But then I started getting the collector fever.
My brother is the Great White Hunter in the family.

Besides.....the way the Army is (at least on Ft Campbell KY) they put you thru so much shit when you bring a weapon on post it's just not worth it to bring your own. If I brought one, first want you to fill out a form, then they wanted it locked in the armory. To be honest....the most gun free place in KY is Ft Campbell.

Last edited:
I was looking at some used pre-WWII ones online and they were over $1900.

Fck that.

As with any gun....is see it and want to get one. I'd like a Sharps 45-70. If I ever come across one, I'll get it. Then I'll baby that thing.

Avoid the Pedersoli version....GTG with the Uberti.

Decent pre-war Walthers are out there but it's a combination of hunting around and being in the right place at the right time.

I got this pre-war PP for $700.00 a couple of weeks ago.

68-004-2-jpg.855292

Sadly I just missed a post-war Manurhin PP in .380....He damn near gave that one away for $400.00.

Try to find whatever flavor suits you in either a Pre-War, Wartime, post war Manurhin or German-made Walther, or a Interarms marked example.....Avoid the later S&W made ones.

Avoid the Pedersoli version....GTG with the Uberti.

Decent pre-war Walthers are out there but it's a combination of hunting around and being in the right place at the right time.

I got this pre-war PP for $700.00 a couple of weeks ago.

68-004-2-jpg.855292

Sadly I just missed a post-war Manurhin PP in .380....He damn near gave that one away for $400.00.

Try to find whatever flavor suits you in either a Pre-War, Wartime, post war Manurhin or German-made Walther, or a Interarms marked example.....Avoid the later S&W made ones.
I made the mistake of getting a Yugo Mauser M48 online at Classic Firearms.

The stock was beat up....and somebody's initials carved in it. It was like it had been left out in the rain.

A part on the bolt broke on it after I greased it and started working it. I replaced the part but haven't screwed with it much afterwards. I'm almost afraid to fire the thing.

I made the mistake of getting a Yugo Mauser M48 online at Classic Firearms.

The stock was beat up....and somebody's initials carved in it. It was like it had been left out in the rain.

A part on the bolt broke on it after I greased it and started working it. I replaced the part but haven't screwed with it much afterwards. I'm almost afraid to fire the thing.
Just call Classic, they have a good rep so you might be able to return it but you will likely have to pay for the shipping.

BTW....Oddly enough stock carvings are a desired "feature" as it shows war time use. I had a M48 sniper with a Bosnian fleur-de-lis carved into the stock.

Just call Classic, they have a good rep so you might be able to return it but you will likely have to pay for the shipping.

BTW....Oddly enough stock carvings are a desired "feature" as it shows war time use. I had a M48 sniper with a Bosnian fleur-de-lis carved into the stock.
I don't want to return it. I just would have liked something in better shape. I was seriously thinking of replacing the stock....but then just put it away.
Maybe down the road I'll take it out and try to work with it.
I have a full-time job taking care of the ole lady right now.

Forum List

Back