Who Was the Greatest President?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here in politics, or in History, but I figured I'd just go with it here.

Who do you think the greatest president in U.S. History was and why?

William Jefferson Clinton because he drove many a right wing lunatic over the edge into insanity. Proof? The right wing lunatics voted twice for W while bemoaning the fact that he wasn't himself a real conservative.

Thank gawd for Bill Clinton. :cool:

I wasn't sure whether to post this here in politics, or in History, but I figured I'd just go with it here.

Reagan was. He inherited a recession passed an across the board tax cuts which created 20 million new jobs. He conquered communism without firing one shot. He deserves the Nobel Peace Prize, along with Martin Luther King and several others besides Obama.

Uh he also TRIPLED our National Debt.

Kennedy. This man said we were going to go to the MOON by the end of the decade and it got DONE. Never how much will it cost. Never we CAN'T do it we just got it DONE!

He was also a very fiscal conservative President which included lower taxes and spending!

How would a fiscal conservative justify spending all that money to send somebody to the moon?

The Nobel nomination committee has decided to award this honor to Barry Barack Hussein 0bama for his outstanding current and future performance...

Reagan was. He inherited a recession passed an across the board tax cuts which created 20 million new jobs. He conquered communism without firing one shot. He deserves the Nobel Peace Prize, along with Martin Luther King and several others besides Obama.

I am with you on that. I started a thread a while back questioning whether Reagan was a good president!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/66407-why-do-people-call-reagan-a-great-president.html

Getting the hostage release was great, he was lucky enough to be President when the USSR collasped (I think it probably would have happened anyways), enacting the tax code was good, America reached the highest percentage ever of manufacturing the world's good (28%), lowed taxes was good, but I think its a fallacy that he was a great President.

Here are reasons why:
(1) Iran-Contra Affair: Claims we are fighting a war on drugs, but helps Contras make money by selling drugs to Americans. Getting Iran weapon, huh? Either way this is a criminal scandal.

(2) Immigration Control and Reform Act: Was supposed to reform immigrations and prevent illegal immigration. Instead it did nothing to decease immigration, employers ignored it, more illegals poured over the borders and all this act did was give amnesty to 3 million illegal immigrants

(3) 1982 Recession: Yes he was dealt a bad hand by Carter (A REAL BAD HAND), but a year into his Presidency he we saw a recession with unemployment up to 10.2%! The highest since the Great Depression.

(4) The War on Drugs: The biggest waste of money, resources and police man power in US history. It was and is a huge failure. It has increase drug use and has made it so countries like Mexico, Bolivia and Colombia can't combat the well funded anti-government groups and advance their countries.

(5) Stock Market Crash of 1987: Yet another economic collaspe during Reagan's Presidency. Was it all him? No, but it happened on his watch

(6) The Saving and Loan Crisis: Due to the non-regulations and non-control cough cough much like the current mortgage crisis, but on a smaller scale cough cough we had a financial crisis to which keeps up the poor economic trend during the Reagan 80s presidency

(7) $3 trillion Dollar Budget Deficit: Up from $700 billion! How do people call him the grand daddie of fiscal conservatism? This is like a teenager getting daddy's AMEX card and going over $100K balance limit by $1 million dollars! Bush learned well.

(8) Lebanon: Didn't learn from Vietnam and got us in the Lebanese Civil War that put Hezbollah on the map and lead to a suicide bombing and the death of 200+ US soldiers and us running from Lebanon with our tails between our legs.

(9) Took funds from the EPA: People don't like the EPA on the conservative side and many times they do more harm then good, but protecting the environment is a necessary evil. The Clean Air Act took lead out of the air and Clean Water Act made US waterways the least polluted in the world!

(10) Not helping us get off foreign oil: No mandates to drill domestically. No mandates for fuel efficiency, which lead to the gas guzzlers of the 90s and today. No money to start developing oil free cars. He failed here, big time!

(11) HIV/AIDS Epidemic: Like the slow denial approach Stalin took when Hitler invaded Russia. Reagan did little in the beginning to tackle the AIDS epidemic. He acted painfully too slow. Personally I think he acted so slow because he thought he had the "Final Solution" to the Gay problem.

(12) Funded, Started and Helped Al Qaeda: Yep we were fighting those big bad Russian Communist, so it was probably the right thing to do. However, we funded the same people we are fighting today. We allowed one of the most brutal and barbaric regime of 80s-90s (Taliban) to take over an brutalize the Afghan people. Reagan build OBL! Maybe after the Soviets destroyed Afghanistan America should have tried to build a few schools like Charlie Wilson suggested!

(13) Supported Sadam: Iran and Iraq at war, Reagan supported Sadam with weapons and aid. How did that turn out Mr. Reagan.

(14) Named Scalia to the Supreme Court: Scalia has a good philosophy too bad he never follows it. He is a hack and only applies originalism when it fits his agenda. He is a fraud. If it goes against his views then he interprets the constitution to fits what he believes!

(15) Brought Alan "I am a big reason for the mortgage and credit meltdown" Greenspan into government: Greenspan recklessly kept reducing interest rates that is a big reason we are in this mess. He also is the only the made suggestion on deregulation!

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 1950 - 1999

997B to 2.6B a 260% increase in 8 years

How much is Obama on track to increase it in 1 year? In his 4 year term?

How would a fiscal conservative justify spending all that money to send somebody to the moon?

I didn't say a radical fiscal conservatives! JEEZZZZUSSS, are you also against spending money to fix roads and taking the garbage out!

You find the money spent on sending a person to the moon comparable to fixing roads and collecting garbage? Fixing roads and collecting garbage at least confer some benefit to the people in general, whereas sending a refrigerator into space simply for national pride does not. They likely would have been better off keeping their own money.

I didn't say a radical fiscal conservatives! JEEZZZZUSSS, are you also against spending money to fix roads and taking the garbage out!

You find the money spent on sending a person to the moon comparable to fixing roads and collecting garbage? Fixing roads and collecting garbage at least confer some benefit to the people in general, whereas sending a refrigerator into space simply for national pride does not. They likely would have been better off keeping their own money.

:disbelief: :eusa_wall:

I am with you on that. I started a thread a while back questioning whether Reagan was a good president!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/66407-why-do-people-call-reagan-a-great-president.html

Getting the hostage release was great, he was lucky enough to be President when the USSR collasped (I think it probably would have happened anyways), enacting the tax code was good, America reached the highest percentage ever of manufacturing the world's good (28%), lowed taxes was good, but I think its a fallacy that he was a great President.

Here are reasons why:
(1) Iran-Contra Affair: Claims we are fighting a war on drugs, but helps Contras make money by selling drugs to Americans. Getting Iran weapon, huh? Either way this is a criminal scandal.

(2) Immigration Control and Reform Act: Was supposed to reform immigrations and prevent illegal immigration. Instead it did nothing to decease immigration, employers ignored it, more illegals poured over the borders and all this act did was give amnesty to 3 million illegal immigrants

(3) 1982 Recession: Yes he was dealt a bad hand by Carter (A REAL BAD HAND), but a year into his Presidency he we saw a recession with unemployment up to 10.2%! The highest since the Great Depression.

(4) The War on Drugs: The biggest waste of money, resources and police man power in US history. It was and is a huge failure. It has increase drug use and has made it so countries like Mexico, Bolivia and Colombia can't combat the well funded anti-government groups and advance their countries.

(5) Stock Market Crash of 1987: Yet another economic collaspe during Reagan's Presidency. Was it all him? No, but it happened on his watch

(6) The Saving and Loan Crisis: Due to the non-regulations and non-control cough cough much like the current mortgage crisis, but on a smaller scale cough cough we had a financial crisis to which keeps up the poor economic trend during the Reagan 80s presidency

(7) $3 trillion Dollar Budget Deficit: Up from $700 billion! How do people call him the grand daddie of fiscal conservatism? This is like a teenager getting daddy's AMEX card and going over $100K balance limit by $1 million dollars! Bush learned well.

(8) Lebanon: Didn't learn from Vietnam and got us in the Lebanese Civil War that put Hezbollah on the map and lead to a suicide bombing and the death of 200+ US soldiers and us running from Lebanon with our tails between our legs.

(9) Took funds from the EPA: People don't like the EPA on the conservative side and many times they do more harm then good, but protecting the environment is a necessary evil. The Clean Air Act took lead out of the air and Clean Water Act made US waterways the least polluted in the world!

(10) Not helping us get off foreign oil: No mandates to drill domestically. No mandates for fuel efficiency, which lead to the gas guzzlers of the 90s and today. No money to start developing oil free cars. He failed here, big time!

(11) HIV/AIDS Epidemic: Like the slow denial approach Stalin took when Hitler invaded Russia. Reagan did little in the beginning to tackle the AIDS epidemic. He acted painfully too slow. Personally I think he acted so slow because he thought he had the "Final Solution" to the Gay problem.

(12) Funded, Started and Helped Al Qaeda: Yep we were fighting those big bad Russian Communist, so it was probably the right thing to do. However, we funded the same people we are fighting today. We allowed one of the most brutal and barbaric regime of 80s-90s (Taliban) to take over an brutalize the Afghan people. Reagan build OBL! Maybe after the Soviets destroyed Afghanistan America should have tried to build a few schools like Charlie Wilson suggested!

(13) Supported Sadam: Iran and Iraq at war, Reagan supported Sadam with weapons and aid. How did that turn out Mr. Reagan.

(14) Named Scalia to the Supreme Court: Scalia has a good philosophy too bad he never follows it. He is a hack and only applies originalism when it fits his agenda. He is a fraud. If it goes against his views then he interprets the constitution to fits what he believes!

(15) Brought Alan "I am a big reason for the mortgage and credit meltdown" Greenspan into government: Greenspan recklessly kept reducing interest rates that is a big reason we are in this mess. He also is the only the made suggestion on deregulation!

I would add that he took down the solar panel on the WH and rolled back EVERY effort Carter tried to put into energy independence and to get off of oil. I FIRMLY beleive that had we CONTINUED with Carters ideas we would have cars that get 50MPG and would have far less of a need for fossil fuels.

George Washington!

he could have been king, turned it down!

what a friggin quitter!!!

who cares about cherry trees when u can chop down a monarchy instead?

plus he had way cool freemason garb, i totaly dig that!

George Washington. He's the only President that doesn't catch shit from anybody because he was a President.

WikiAnswers - When was the Whiskey Rebellion started

In 1791 the US government passed a law imposing a tax on the sale of alcohol. It was inherently unfair in that large scale producers of alcohol payed 6 cents per gallon of alcohol, while smaller scale alcohol producers were taxed at 9 cents. President George Washington was a large scale producer of alcohol, and this was seen as a conflict of interest by his critics. Sale of alcohol was one of the primary means of income for farmers, particularly those on the frontier who lived at bare subsistence levels. From the beginning there were wide scale protests against the alcohol tax, and some became violent riots.

In the summer of 1794 an armed rebellion broke out in Pennsyvania, and on August 7, 1794 George Washington imposed martial law.

I have actually read some of the articles from the newspapers of the time concerning President Washington's actions concerning the Whiskey Rebellion, and many called him a tyrant at the time.

Don't defend your choices and appeal to outside opinion that agrees with yours.

Typical and pathetic.

WTF, are you more of an idiot than you demonstrate! Do you live in a vacuum and your stupidity just comes naturally, or are you gawd and you have lived forever and know everything because.... damn you are one poor poster and debater. Next time ask yourself why the majority of historians, etc, rate FDR near the top. Or maybe don't as you sure are one dumb dude.

edit - add URLs for those not braindead like Dude and others.

Summary
Timeline of the Great Depression
The Great Depression, to 1935
The Main Causes of the Great Depression
Stiff upper lip.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Great-Depression-New-Deal-Introductions/dp/0195326342/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1230302046&sr=1-8]Amazon.com: The Great Depression and the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (9780195326345): Eric Rauchway: Books[/ame]

Another post consisting solely of appeals to other sources, and totally void of actual thought.

I have yet to see a post of yours that has any evidence of thought in it.

A President sent a group of people out on a government funded expedition. It went over budget by a factor of 10. It finished so late that the expedition was given up for dead. It did not accomplish it's primary mission. It was called the Corp of Discovery.

We know it as the Lewis and Clark expedition. "Research is always a bargain, even when it cost too much" Rueb Long.

A President sent a group of people out on a government funded expedition. It went over budget by a factor of 10. It finished so late that the expedition was given up for dead. It did not accomplish it's primary mission. It was called the Corp of Discovery.

We know it as the Lewis and Clark expedition. "Research is always a bargain, even when it cost too much" Rueb Long.

I'm guessing the people could have found better purposes for their money.

I say George Washington. He came out of political and military retirement to be our first president and he didn't try to change the constitution he helped in forming.

You do realize he CHANGED the first constitution - Articles of the Confederation! He also helped create the constitution!

Here are reasons why:

I would add that he took down the solar panel on the WH and rolled back EVERY effort Carter tried to put into energy independence and to get off of oil. I FIRMLY beleive that had we CONTINUED with Carters ideas we would have cars that get 50MPG and would have far less of a need for fossil fuels.

Carter was full of no good ideas! I know you will give Carter credit for environmental protection, but ask any environmental law teacher, by far the best environmental President EVER was Nixon, he created the EPA, CAA, CWA etc. Carter was a hack and sucked ballz at everything he did!

Forum List

Back