• Tom Brady

• Bret Farve

• Steve Young

• Terry Bradshaw

• Otto Graham

• Fran Tarkenton

• Bart Starr

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bart Starr won 5 NFL championships in 7 years. He also has the all time high quarterback rating of playoff quarterbacks with 104.8 And he accomplished this in an era where the games rules didn't favor passing.

Pretty clear to me.

Mark
What would Brady have to do to pass him?

I saw Bart Starr play
He executed the power sweep and just jammed the ball down your throat
Very good QB but not an all time great (Johnny U was much better at the time)

Starr won five NFL titles at a time you only had to
I went with Terry Bradshaw because of Brady working with the much better coach and organization but I consider it more of a photo finish than a runaway win. The Pats do well even without Brady
The Steelers would have done very well without Bradshaw. Hell...they have a dozen players in the Hall of Fame. The Patriots under Brady, not even close. Brady is ten times the QB that Bradshaw was.

The Steelers had the best defense I ever saw
I think any average QB could have won with them. Just hand the ball to Franco
Bart Starr won 5 NFL championships in 7 years. He also has the all time high quarterback rating of playoff quarterbacks with 104.8 And he accomplished this in an era where the games rules didn't favor passing.

Pretty clear to me.

Mark
What would Brady have to do to pass him?
but again, Starr was surrounded by great players.

Sure he was. As are almost any championship teams. And with the passing rules the way they were back then...

Mark
There is no doubt Starr was great, but IMO not nearly as good as Brady. You say all championship teams have great players, but I don't think Brady's Patriot teams have anywhere near as many great players as Starr's or Bradshaw's teams.

No, I'm not judging that based solely on how many Super Bowls a player played in, but how they performed in those Super Bowls. Montana had a great game-winning drive against the Bengals in a close game. He also had 4 TDs against Miami in a dominant win, and 5 TDs against Denver in a blowout win. Montana never threw a pick in 4 Super Bowls. Montana never lost in 4 Super Bowls. Montana never had fewer than 2 TDs in a Super Bowl. Montana's lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl is 100, his highest is 147.6.

Brady only had 1 TD in the first loss to the Giants. Brady threw picks in 4 of his 8 Super Bowls, and had that huge fumble in the Eagles game (Montana never lost a fumble or threw a pick). Brady never had a blow-out or dominant win. Brady's winning % in the Super Bowl is only .500. Brady's lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl is 82.5. His lowest rating in a Super Bowl he won is 86.2. Brady's highest rating is 115.4.

When you look at how they performed in Super Bowls, Montana was better than Brady. If Montana had played in 4 more Super Bowls, perhaps it would have evened out some, but going by the body of work available, Montana was consistently excellent in the big game.

Since when is 5-3 .500?

I must have been thinking of games he'd thrown a pick in at the time, rather than wins. :eusa_doh:
No quarterback has ever lead their team to 8 super bowls, winning 5 of them ...It'll never be done again...Enough said hater:slap:

I picked Brady as the best QB, and I'm a hater? :lol:

Brady wasn't as good in the Super Bowl as Montana. That's not a knock on Brady, it's a testament to how amazingly well Montana played in the Super Bowls he was in.

Its a lot easier when you have the best receiver ever to play the game to throw it to
No doubt.

No, I'm not judging that based solely on how many Super Bowls a player played in, but how they performed in those Super Bowls. Montana had a great game-winning drive against the Bengals in a close game. He also had 4 TDs against Miami in a dominant win, and 5 TDs against Denver in a blowout win. Montana never threw a pick in 4 Super Bowls. Montana never lost in 4 Super Bowls. Montana never had fewer than 2 TDs in a Super Bowl. Montana's lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl is 100, his highest is 147.6.

Brady only had 1 TD in the first loss to the Giants. Brady threw picks in 4 of his 8 Super Bowls, and had that huge fumble in the Eagles game (Montana never lost a fumble or threw a pick). Brady never had a blow-out or dominant win. Brady's winning % in the Super Bowl is only .500. Brady's lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl is 82.5. His lowest rating in a Super Bowl he won is 86.2. Brady's highest rating is 115.4.

When you look at how they performed in Super Bowls, Montana was better than Brady. If Montana had played in 4 more Super Bowls, perhaps it would have evened out some, but going by the body of work available, Montana was consistently excellent in the big game.

Since when is 5-3 .500?

I must have been thinking of games he'd thrown a pick in at the time, rather than wins. :eusa_doh:
No quarterback has ever lead their team to 8 super bowls, winning 5 of them ...It'll never be done again...Enough said hater:slap:

Brady wasn't as good in the Super Bowl as Montana. That's not a knock on Brady, it's a testament to how amazingly well Montana played in the Super Bowls he was in.

Its a lot easier when you have the best receiver ever to play the game to throw it to

Idk who Brady's receivers are, but I do know who Montana's were.

Montana was a badass, I've seen the pocket collapse, he scrambled, juked and made 35 yards by his damn self. I haven't watched that much Brady, but Joe was damn impressive.

Since when is 5-3 .500?

No doubt.
Really? Tell that to Matthew Stafford who sucked even though he had Megatron for 10 years.

No doubt.
Really? Tell that to Matthew Stafford who sucked even though he had Megatron for 10 years.

its also nice to have an offensive line and defense worth a shit

No doubt.
That is funny. The Lions as an organization have sucked for 60 years. I suspect there is a lot of other things effecting why they are such losers.

Pretty clear to me.

Mark

The issue with Starr is he played in an era where the QB's value was less. He won a SB where he threw for 85 yards. We just saw Brady lose one he threw for 500 in. QB's are relied upon more today to do more. Brady has the same number of TD's and INT's (15:3) in the last two playoffs as Bart Starr had for his entire career.

Also half of his championships he came out on top of a 13 team league. Brady has come out on top of a 16 team league (the AFC) 8 times.

Also Bart never won a SB where his D didn't finish top 3 in points allowed (his last one was the only time they weren't top 2). His opponents never scored over 14 points when he won a SB (averaged 8 points by the opposing team in his SB wins).

I like Bart Starr a lot, and he did play really well in the post-season. But I don't think his regular season comes anywhere close to Brady's and in the post-season, yes he's got the efficiency and volume of Brady the past two years in the playoffs. But then Brady has 13 other post-seasons, 4 SB wins, and 6 SB appearances that Starr does not have.

And Montana was a 2 time SB winner and SB MVP before Jerry Rice was out of college.

For me, and I am NOT a Brady fan (My Eagles just won a SB!) here's my list.

1. Brady
2. Montana
then comes some mix of Unitas, Marino, Peyton, Staubach, Favre, Bradshaw, Graham, Starr

And Montana was a 2 time SB winner and SB MVP before Jerry Rice was out of college.

1. Brady
2. Montana
then comes some mix of Unitas, Marino, Peyton, Staubach, Favre, Bradshaw, Graham, Starr

Hard to evaluate Unitas....it was a different era
But he was the first modern, gunslinging QB and changed the position

Hard to evaluate Unitas....it was a different era
But he was the first modern, gunslinging QB and changed the position

Agree, it is so tough to evaluate across era's which is partly why I stick to the two I've seen.

But it's tough to favor the modern guys who play when the rules make it the easiest to throw the football. I mean the minute the NFL changed the passing rules, a past his prime Bradshaw led the league in TD's (twice in 5 years) and won regular season MVP.

And then you have the WCO that has proliferated the entire NFL. Used to be players weren't playing for efficiency, but the big play. Imagine in 20 years we are grading WR's based on yards per catch, the most efficient WR. Jerry Rice is barely top 200 there. Does that mean he's now mediocre?

I think Aikman and Elway get seriously knocked for not playing in a WCO (Elway did at the end and poof, his efficiency numbers popped right up to Montana levels).

But best of the best I tend to lean with a guy who did something over coming up with reasons someone else didn't do that.

IE. Marino. AMAZING QB. HOFer in his first 4 years. He was that good. And his team was outrushed by something like 170 yards in his losses on average. HORRENDOUS D and run game. Only QB to ever overcome that kind of rushing disparity in the post-season? Marino beat the Browns once in a game they ran for over 250 yards against Miami. So expecting him to be able to do what nobody else ever could to win games is tough. Seriously, it's something like 30% of the biggest rushing discrepancies in post-season play of ALL of NFL history had Marino on the losing end of them.

Anyways, lots of great reasons he should be #1, and why he didn't have that post-season success. But when it comes to best of best. He didn't have that success (and QB is the only one I really weigh here barring insane stuff like Terrell Davis or Marvin Harrison).

But that's my thoughts and the fun thing is, its not wrong. Just like Starr at #1 isn't necessarily wrong. I have my reasons he isn't atop my list, but that's me.

No doubt.
That is funny. The Lions as an organization have sucked for 60 years. I suspect there is a lot of other things effecting why they are such losers.

I know what the problem is!!!

Detroit Lions | Think Ford First

Who is the Greatest Quarterback of All Time?

What is your criteria? Over the decades the game has changed and evolved, every era has had their greats. Who is the greatest? I listed 12 QB's not sure if I left anyone who could be considered as a top QB.

Make your case of who is the greatest.

It is not even a question anymore. 5 rings, 8 SB, had a chance to win all of them, ridiculous stats in both the pre and post season, 16-0, near perfect season, yes he had Gronk and post-prime Moss, but he never had anyone the caliber of Jerry Rice like Montana.

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Manning
4. Elway
5. Mariano (yea yea I know he has no rings and his post season success was non-existent, but he was still awesome)

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

1. Brady
2. Montana

I voted for Brady too. And while I am not an Eagles fan, for the QB I enjoyed most to watch it was Randall Cunningham.
I'm a Giants fan and I loved Cunningham. He could beat you in so many ways

I remember one game we had the Eagles pinned down inside the 5. They put Cunningham in to punt from the end zone and he punted a 90 yard roller. Turned the game around

Unitas was a superstar in the days before QBs were protected from almost all contact. How would Brady do, if he knew he could get smacked hard on every passing play?

Unitas was a superstar in the days before QBs were protected from almost all contact. How would Brady do, if he knew he could get smacked hard on every passing play?

Brady is pretty tough

I think he would have picked apart those 1950s and 60s Defenses

Tom Brady. The proof is in last night's game. One important part of being a good QB is being a good leader and being able to lead the team to victory. To be able to keep the fire in the bellies of the players last night was pretty darn good leadership and motivational skills, considering how far behind they were. However, they never gave up and kept on fighting until the end and that is all due to good leadership and incredible motivation and determination.

Brady is the best by default. He won the most, but the last 2 SB wins were gifts from the teams they were playing.

Who is the Greatest Quarterback of All Time?

What is your criteria? Over the decades the game has changed and evolved, every era has had their greats. Who is the greatest? I listed 12 QB's not sure if I left anyone who could be considered as a top QB.

Make your case of who is the greatest.
Two of Brady's rings are from pure luck.

Those should not count.

That leaves Bradshaw and Montana.

Hard to say which of Bradshaw or Montana was best.

Bradshaw was tougher.

Montana was smarter.

Bradshaw is not even top 5 in my book. He played with dominate defense. A good leader, but not that special. He way behind Elway, Manning, Favre, young,

Tom Brady.
Montana ,Elway, Favre and Manning put all together did not achieve what Brady did.
Don't forget that Brady lost 3 rings in the Superbowl cause of lack of defense.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back