• Bret Farve

• Steve Young

• Terry Bradshaw

• Otto Graham

• Fran Tarkenton

• Bart Starr

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tom Brady.
Montana ,Elway, Mariano and Manning put all together did not achieve what Brady did.
Don't forget that Brady lost 3 rings in the Superbowl cause of lack of defense.

500 yards passing is not enough?

Tom Brady.
Montana ,Elway, Favre and Manning put all together did not achieve what Brady did.

He won 2 because of lack of brains from the opposing coaching staff, so there’s that. But I agree, win 5 and you’re the best.

Tom Brady.
Montana ,Elway, Favre and Manning put all together did not achieve what Brady did.

I'd say lost 1 because of lack of defense.

The other two he lost, the D gave up 19 and 17. 1 team in the past 20 years won a SB by scoring less than 20 points offensively (2001 pats).

Allowing 17 points with the greatest offense in NFL history on your side I don't put on the D. Last time a team won a SB with fewer offensive points was a Purple People Eater vs. Steel Curtain game over 40 years ago.

You could argue the D played bad situationally at the end after nearly pitching shutouts for 50 minutes. But then who cares about 500 yards of offense if you are fumbling the game away when it's on the line late right?

That's not taking anything away from Brady by the way. Still the goat. But allowing 18 a game is not on the D.

2007 Pats scored 37 a game and got 14 in the SB
2007 Giants scored 23 a game and got 17 in the SB

Not hard to see which side of the ball flopped.

Who is the Greatest Quarterback of All Time?

What is your criteria? Over the decades the game has changed and evolved, every era has had their greats. Who is the greatest? I listed 12 QB's not sure if I left anyone who could be considered as a top QB.

Make your case of who is the greatest.
Two of Brady's rings are from pure luck.

Those should not count.

That leaves Bradshaw and Montana.

Hard to say which of Bradshaw or Montana was best.

Bradshaw was tougher.

Montana was smarter.

Bradshaw is not even top 5 in my book. He played with dominate defense. A good leader, but not that special. He way behind Elway, Manning, Favre, young,

That's fine. Favre never won a SB without the #1 D and #1 ST unit on his side. Bradshaw won 3 of them without that.

I put in Bradshaw because he played really well when it was the hardest time to throw the football in the NFL. Then post-prime, when passing opened up in his last 5 years he won a league MVP and led the league in TD's twice.

And yes he had a great D, but he was huge in winning those SB's. 112.8 QB rating in the SB. For comparison Tom Brady has a 98 QB rating in that game. Only Montana has a higher QB rating. Of course Bradshaw did that when the average QB rating was around 62 when it was the hardest time to throw the ball in league history (outside of the first years when incomplete passes were a penalty, and could only throw once per drive).

And talking clutch. Bradshaw in the 4th quarter of his 4 SB's. 151 QB rating. That's insane and why he came back from losing in half of them.

If I am going to judge QB's on what they did with everything on the line. Being nearly perfect in SB 4th quarters is pretty fricking clutch.

But the fun of lists, is you can have your reasons.

Tom Brady.

Bullshit if Brady was drafted by the Bears he would of sucked and been cut after a few years like Rex Grossman. It was more the coach then Brady

Tom Brady.

Bullshit if Brady was drafted by the Bears he would of sucked and been cut after a few years like Rex Grossman. It was more the coach then Brady

With many great QBs a lot has to do with the team around you and the coaching staff

Who is the Greatest Quarterback of All Time?

What is your criteria? Over the decades the game has changed and evolved, every era has had their greats. Who is the greatest? I listed 12 QB's not sure if I left anyone who could be considered as a top QB.

Make your case of who is the greatest.
Two of Brady's rings are from pure luck.

Those should not count.

That leaves Bradshaw and Montana.

Hard to say which of Bradshaw or Montana was best.

Bradshaw was tougher.

Montana was smarter.

Bradshaw is not even top 5 in my book. He played with dominate defense. A good leader, but not that special. He way behind Elway, Manning, Favre, young,

That's fine. Favre never won a SB without the #1 D and #1 ST unit on his side. Bradshaw won 3 of them without that.

I put in Bradshaw because he played really well when it was the hardest time to throw the football in the NFL. Then post-prime, when passing opened up in his last 5 years he won a league MVP and led the league in TD's twice.

And yes he had a great D, but he was huge in winning those SB's. 112.8 QB rating in the SB. For comparison Tom Brady has a 98 QB rating in that game. Only Montana has a higher QB rating. Of course Bradshaw did that when the average QB rating was around 62 when it was the hardest time to throw the ball in league history (outside of the first years when incomplete passes were a penalty, and could only throw once per drive).

And talking clutch. Bradshaw in the 4th quarter of his 4 SB's. 151 QB rating. That's insane and why he came back from losing in half of them.

If I am going to judge QB's on what they did with everything on the line. Being nearly perfect in SB 4th quarters is pretty fricking clutch.

But the fun of lists, is you can have your reasons.
never had anything close to that defense

Bradshaw had the steel curtain defense. Farve never had a defense like that and he won 3 league MVP’s. You have have to have complimentary players around you. Elway carried the Broncos to 3 losing Super Bowls without another hall of Famer on offense. When he got some help, he won back to back. Too bad it was at the end of his career.

Best I have seen

Brady
Montana
Manning
Elway
Marino

I gotta say, I take exception to Manning and Marino in that group. They were legendary passers, Marino had the quickest release all time, Manning was like a computer. However neither had the ability to really change a play or create something when the play failed. The farves, Youngs and Elways had the ability to extend a play, give their team a chance on a play that they created.

Best I have seen

Brady
Montana
Manning
Elway
Marino

I gotta say, I take exception to Manning and Marino in that group. They were legendary passers, Marino had the quickest release all time, Manning was like a computer. However neither had the ability to really change a play or create something when the play failed. The farves, Youngs and Elways had the ability to extend a play, give their team a chance on a play that they created.

Is running ability a requirement for a great QB? And why not take exception to Brady, as well?

Brady, Montana, and Marino were/are all pretty slow as QBs go....but all did/do a very good job avoiding pressure and getting rid of the ball when necessary.

Best I have seen

Brady
Montana
Manning
Elway
Marino

Is running ability a requirement for a great QB? And why not take exception to Brady, as well?

Brady, Montana, and Marino were/are all pretty slow as QBs go....but all did/do a very good job avoiding pressure and getting rid of the ball when necessary.

Montana was fairly nimble in the pocket, and Brady is a master at getting a yard when needed with the QB Sneak. Besides, Brady and Montana have 9 Super Bowl wins between them, and winning trumps everything. If Marino, or someone like Dan Fouts had won multiple superbowls or even gone to multiple superbowls then they’d be in the conversation.

Best I have seen

Brady
Montana
Manning
Elway
Marino

It all comes down to results

Did you complete the pass, how many yards did you pass for? Did you get a TD?

If Manning and Marino get superior results without scrambling and improvising it all comes down to the end result

Best I have seen

Brady
Montana
Manning
Elway
Marino

Montana was fairly nimble in the pocket, and Brady is a master at getting a yard when needed with the QB Sneak. Besides, Brady and Montana have 9 Super Bowl wins between them, and winning trumps everything. If Marino, or someone like Dan Fouts had won multiple superbowls or even gone to multiple superbowls then they’d be in the conversation.

While I don't think Super Bowls are the be all, end all of determine how good a QB was, I understand it as a measuring stick.

Best I have seen

Brady
Montana
Manning
Elway
Marino

While I don't think Super Bowls are the be all, end all of determine how good a QB was, I understand it as a measuring stick.

But winning championships is the best delineator of the greatest QB of all time
Performance under pressure and delivering cannot be ignored

It is like a closer in baseball
Compiling saves throughout the year is one thing

But shutting down a rally in game 7 of the World Series establishes greatness

Best I have seen

Brady
Montana
Manning
Elway
Marino

Football is still a team sport. Marino is an all time great, regardless of not winning a Super Bowl, IMO.

I voted for Joe Money, but in reality, Brady has won more.

At least my pick is the same as Brady's. :)

Football is still a team sport. Marino is an all time great, regardless of not winning a Super Bowl, IMO.

I agree

Under more favorable conditions, Marino could have been the GOAT. But it didn't happen

Archie Manning played for the hapless Saints and had an obscure career. Put him on the Steelers or Raiders in the 1970s and he could have been an all time great. That is why he was so careful about who his sons would play for

Forum List

Back