Defending Deion

EMH

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2021
First of all, Coach Prime is undeniably one of the greatest football players ever, both at CB and as a return man. Prime is arguably one of the greatest athletes of all time, having also been a decent MLB baseball player.

But the business is not Sports, it is Sports ENTERTAINMENT, and Prime is extremely entertaining, always has been. Sports would be dull if there were not loudmouth showboats like Prime. Chris Berman and Thom Jackson used to have fun with Deion on NFL Primetime. THAT was always HILARIOUS.

So now Deion is "Coach Prime" and, not surprisingly, is doing well at it and getting tons of media coverage. Those who like that media coverage are showing up at his games to get more, the Rock being one.

So what's the beef with Neon Deion PrimeTime "Coach Prime" Sanders?

Is he anti white?

Nobody that I can recall suggested that when Prime was a player. This kinda started when Prime kinda freaked out when Penn State safety Troy Apke broke 4.4 in the 40 at the Combine maybe 4 years ago, and Prime said something like... wow, he's white... Apke was not the first white to run that fast, but to be fair the vast majority of the prospects who do break 4.4 at the combine are black. Prime had a foot in mouth moment, and I believe he did take credit and apologize. This draft the smartest QB was Bryce Young of Bama, who is black, and a similar comment by a white would probably get a much larger "outrage" by the media. I don't think any of that adds up to a charge of bigotry against Prime. It is GOOD that FOOTBALL is BREAKING RACIAL STEREOTYPING and pointing us towards a colorblind attitude. Thank you Apke and Young!!!!

Did Deion cross some "racial lines" while at Jackson State? An HBCU like that school was never going to land the type of talent necessary to win in Div 1a. Some of the things Deion said were "whiny" and "racially aggravating" but that comes with the job and that type of school. Deion thought he could get a lot of 4 and 5 stars to come there. He was wrong. He got a few. THAT's why he is now at Colorado.

I do not consider Coach Prime to be a racial bigot. I do not think that type of accusation is fair. Deion is not hostile to whites. Deion is not out there spewing racial hatred. He is Coach Prime, he is black, he has a big ego, a big mouth, and a resume of achievement to back that up. If you don't like shades and hats and gold chains, that is your problem.

it really bothers white peoples when blacks get a format and use it like a white man.

Disagree. In football, there are the stodgy old schoolers who think everyone should act like they are in the military. Deion irritates them.

Tough.

Deion is winning. That's his job.

Sanders work as a coach has been impressive.

A Head Coach is not a ceremonial position. It takes long hours and hard work. It takes a deep knowledge of the game as well as the ability to assess talent and use it correctly.

Prime is coaching at a high level and has turned around a 1-11 team overnight

Disagree. In football, there are the stodgy old schoolers who think everyone should act like they are in the military. Deion irritates them.

Tough.

Deion is winning. That's his job.
That's because they think that football is like the military, I can guarantee it is not the military is easier than when I played in the 1960s-1980s.

I'm not sure what the issue here is? Deion has always been flashy. And as coach, he can assemble his team the way he sees fit. I could care less if he wore one of those fur coats he used to at his pressers. The standard with almost all sports teams is winning and losing. That is what Deion will ultimately be judged on. So far, Deion is winning. But a second tier team in Colorado St had his team on the ropes for a while yesterday. And it took two overtimes to put them away.
I actually think college football could use a little more of this flash.

I saw some of the pregame for Colorado and yes the black announcer did claim that the personnel on the stage was like being at a BET event.

That's because they think that football is like the military, I can guarantee it is not the military is easier than when I played in the 1960s-1980s.
The wages of players in that era were much closer to what people averaged in salaries. As the money increased in the sport, the flamboyancy has increased geometrically. It has affected most sports. On the field or court or anything related it seems that a player showing up other players is the norm now.

• Thanks
Reactions: EMH
The wages of players in that era were much closer to what people averaged in salaries. As the money increased in the sport, the flamboyancy has increased geometrically. It has affected most sports. On the field or court or anything related it seems that a player showing up other players is the norm now.
It always has been that way, if not in garments or cars then in athletic ability.

To be expected. TV and media contracts ballooning. Revenue sharing. Advertising.
It's a big industry. And frankly, if I'm going to be entertained, I want flamboyancy.

Are you not entertained? :)

First of all, Coach Prime is undeniably one of the greatest football players ever, both at CB and as a return man. Prime is arguably one of the greatest athletes of all time, having also been a decent MLB baseball player.

But the business is not Sports, it is Sports ENTERTAINMENT, and Prime is extremely entertaining, always has been. Sports would be dull if there were not loudmouth showboats like Prime. Chris Berman and Thom Jackson used to have fun with Deion on NFL Primetime. THAT was always HILARIOUS.

So now Deion is "Coach Prime" and, not surprisingly, is doing well at it and getting tons of media coverage. Those who like that media coverage are showing up at his games to get more, the Rock being one.

Is he anti white?

Nobody that I can recall suggested that when Prime was a player. This kinda started when Prime kinda freaked out when Penn State safety Troy Apke broke 4.4 in the 40 at the Combine maybe 4 years ago, and Prime said something like... wow, he's white... Apke was not the first white to run that fast, but to be fair the vast majority of the prospects who do break 4.4 at the combine are black. Prime had a foot in mouth moment, and I believe he did take credit and apologize. This draft the smartest QB was Bryce Young of Bama, who is black, and a similar comment by a white would probably get a much larger "outrage" by the media. I don't think any of that adds up to a charge of bigotry against Prime. It is GOOD that FOOTBALL is BREAKING RACIAL STEREOTYPING and pointing us towards a colorblind attitude. Thank you Apke and Young!!!!

Did Deion cross some "racial lines" while at Jackson State? An HBCU like that school was never going to land the type of talent necessary to win in Div 1a. Some of the things Deion said were "whiny" and "racially aggravating" but that comes with the job and that type of school. Deion thought he could get a lot of 4 and 5 stars to come there. He was wrong. He got a few. THAT's why he is now at Colorado.

I do not consider Coach Prime to be a racial bigot. I do not think that type of accusation is fair. Deion is not hostile to whites. Deion is not out there spewing racial hatred. He is Coach Prime, he is black, he has a big ego, a big mouth, and a resume of achievement to back that up. If you don't like shades and hats and gold chains, that is your problem.
There is no doubt that he has always been an unorthodox non conformist, in the way that he speaks and dresses, however he was highly talented as a player, and so far, he has turned out to be a succesful coach.

I cannot personally recall him being racially hostile towards anyone of any race as a player nor as a coach.

He's a showman, and that's what he's always been. Some people don't like it, but that is their problem, not his.

In football, as with practically all sports, winning is really all that matters, as long as one wins while following the rules of the game.

He is proving game after game that he knows how to win, and still be "Prime", so more power to him.

Last edited:
I saw some of the pregame for Colorado and yes the black announcer did claim that the personnel on the stage was like being at a BET event.

Yes, but those are there to catch Deion's coattails. Attention seekers. No different than a Laker home game.

and the biggest money doesn't even come from the sports, it comes from TV ads...

Growing up my favorite sport was baseball. Today there are cringe worthy acts like taking a minute to round the bases after a home run with multiple physical actions with it. In the 1960's there would be beaning's going on for that. The sport though after the reserve clause was removed, had so many players strikes that the game itself changed. TV money is enormous, and the ratings are a pittance for what it once was.

however he was highly talented as a player, and so far, he has turned out to be a succesful coach.

Not many successful football coaches were star players.

I think Deion benefits somewhat from being Coach Prime and attracts good players to his program.
But you have to know which good players to take and how to form them into a team….not easy to do

Not many successful football coaches were star players.

I think Deion benefits somewhat from being Coach Prime and attracts good players to his program.
But you have to know which good players to take and how to form them into a team….not easy to do
That is so true. Effective coaching and leadership begins with the ability to recognize and develop talent, and a significant part of that is inspiring players to take pride in being part of a team.

To be expected. TV and media contracts ballooning. Revenue sharing. Advertising.
It's a big industry. And frankly, if I'm going to be entertained, I want flamboyancy.

Are you not entertained? :)
If it becomes more affordable, I would want the system to decline. The Spectrum cable company/ Disney standoff was part of current issues. Make the sports networks not part of bundling. And make it optional for people to pay extra for. It is not of fairness it is of being the right thing to do.

Is he anti white?

Coaches are supposed to act a certain way. Don't trash talk, don't encourage players to trash talk. Be strong but silent, except about pass plays and zone defenses.

Sanders was never that way as a player, a commentator, or spokesman, I don't know why people are surprised he's the way he's always been as a coach.

It's Gorgeous George, Clay-Ali, Magic, Michael, Barry, Brady... Great, know it, and want to make sure you know it. Love them or hate them people buy tickets just to be there when the win...or lose.

He's great for college football.

Coaches are supposed to act a certain way

That is an opinion. You are free to have that opinion. In regards to a college football coach, many of whom have grotesquely misbehaved, winning is first, not being a criminal is second...

Being PrimeTime is not being criminal.

And you are right, he is great for college football.

But I don't think in year 1 he has enough horses to beat USC and Oregon and UW. Give him 2 more recruiting classes and watch out....

Is he anti white?

He’s the best! He’s like Tiger Woods. If he’s involved, suddenly millions of us become golf fans.

How many watched that game on Saturday? And how many Colorado jerseys have been sold this year? I hope they keep winning.

• Thanks
Reactions: EMH

Forum List

Back