• Otto Graham

• Fran Tarkenton

• Bart Starr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Papageorgio

The Ultimate Winner
May 18, 2010
PNW
Who is the Greatest Quarterback of All Time?

What is your criteria? Over the decades the game has changed and evolved, every era has had their greats. Who is the greatest? I listed 12 QB's not sure if I left anyone who could be considered as a top QB.

Make your case of who is the greatest.

Tom Brady. The proof is in last night's game. One important part of being a good QB is being a good leader and being able to lead the team to victory. To be able to keep the fire in the bellies of the players last night was pretty darn good leadership and motivational skills, considering how far behind they were. However, they never gave up and kept on fighting until the end and that is all due to good leadership and incredible motivation and determination.

I went with Terry Bradshaw because of Brady working with the much better coach and organization but I consider it more of a photo finish than a runaway win. The Pats do well even without Brady

What is your criteria? Over the decades the game has changed and evolved, every era has had their greats. Who is the greatest? I listed 12 QB's not sure if I left anyone who could be considered as a top QB.

Montana: Leadership, Control of Emotions, clock management, accuracy of passes, field of vision and the ability to run if and when necessary.

One example: In the final minutes of the 1989 Super Bowl Montana led an 11-play, 92-yard drive to score the winning touchdown. In order to calm his teammates in the huddle just before the final game-winning drive, Montana pointed into the stadium crowd and said "Hey, isn't that John Candy?"

Then and there he earned the nickname, Joe Cool.

Last edited:

Who has the most super bowl appearances and rings? Patriots and Brady are not my team, but they are winners.

Montana: Leadership, Control of Emotions, clock management, accuracy of passes, field of vision and the ability to run if and when necessary.

One example: In the final minutes of the 1989 Super Bowl Montana led an 11-play, 92-yard drive to score the winning touchdown. In order to calm his teammates in the huddle just before the final game-winning drive, Montana pointed into the stadium crowd and said "Hey, isn't that John Candy?"

^ This. Credit where due

Might want to put Eli Manning up for consideration as well. Without hitting David Tyrell on the helmet Brady would be 6-1

^ This. Credit where due

Might want to put Eli Manning up for consideration as well. Without hitting David Tyrell on the helmet Brady would be 6-1

Lucky catch is all that was! Dumb luck is what you would call it!

I think Elway is out of place on that list,

What do you mean out of place? Are you saying he shouldn't be on there?
That is what I meant......I got to watch him a lot in college as my roommates were from CO,,,Tommy Kramer was our QB at the time....to be honest they seemed pretty comparable. I dont think winning a SuperBowl or 2 necessarily elevates you to this discussion.....

Two of Brady's rings are from pure luck.

Those should not count.

That leaves Bradshaw and Montana.

Hard to say which of Bradshaw or Montana was best.

Bradshaw was tougher.

Montana was smarter.

^ This. Credit where due

Sort of like last night's catch? :)

Those should not count.

Bradshaw was tougher.

Montana was smarter.

You could say luck caused the Pats to lose the Giants game.

Those should not count.

Bradshaw was tougher.

Montana was smarter.

:lmao:

So leading a team from 25 down and orchestrating a 91 yard drive to tie, isn't leadership and being calm under pressure?

Montana and Brady are both excellent quarterbacks but my vote is for Bradshaw.
  • Bradshaw called his own plays whereas Montana and Brady's plays were sent in and they were free to change them. but they both benefited from the assistance of the coaches. "Calling your own plays" puts all the responsibility on the play caller.
  • Bradshaw played before "roughing the passer" or "feet forward sliding rules" provided greater protection to quarterbacks. The game was a bit rougher then.
  • Bradshaw had an incredible arm and could hit receivers with accuracy 50 yards or more down field.
  • Bradshaw never let the taunts (calling him dumb) get to him, and kept winning. Not easy to win through that kind of adversity.
Off the field Bradshaw has a sense of humour, something that neither Montana or Brady are known for.

^ This. Credit where due

No. Who caught a ball on top of his head?

^ This. Credit where due

Both were lucky.

^ This. Credit where due

Both were lucky.

The Patriots were not lucky. Everyone knows that the catch the Giants made was a LUCKY catch.

New Topics

Forum List

Back