• Tom Brady

• Bret Farve

• Steve Young

• Terry Bradshaw

• Otto Graham

• Fran Tarkenton

• Bart Starr

Results are only viewable after voting.
I went with Terry Bradshaw because of Brady working with the much better coach and organization but I consider it more of a photo finish than a runaway win. The Pats do well even without Brady
The Steelers would have done very well without Bradshaw. Hell...they have a dozen players in the Hall of Fame. The Patriots under Brady, not even close. Brady is ten times the QB that Bradshaw was.

Montana and Brady are both excellent quarterbacks but my vote is for Bradshaw.
  • Bradshaw called his own plays whereas Montana and Brady's plays were sent in and they were free to change them. but they both benefited from the assistance of the coaches. "Calling your own plays" puts all the responsibility on the play caller.
  • Bradshaw played before "roughing the passer" or "feet forward sliding rules" provided greater protection to quarterbacks. The game was a bit rougher then.
  • Bradshaw had an incredible arm and could hit receivers with accuracy 50 yards or more down field.
  • Bradshaw never let the taunts (calling him dumb) get to him, and kept winning. Not easy to win through that kind of adversity.
Off the field Bradshaw has a sense of humour, something that neither Montana or Brady are known for.

Both Bradshaw and Montana were surrounded by HOF talent

Except for Gronk (who I assume will get in) Brady has done it with a constantly changing cast of characters

I went with Terry Bradshaw because of Brady working with the much better coach and organization but I consider it more of a photo finish than a runaway win. The Pats do well even without Brady
The Steelers would have done very well without Bradshaw. Hell...they have a dozen players in the Hall of Fame. The Patriots under Brady, not even close. Brady is ten times the QB that Bradshaw was.

The Steelers had the best defense I ever saw
I think any average QB could have won with them. Just hand the ball to Franco

I'm giving it to Brady simply because he's been able to do it consistently through the salary cap era, into his 40's, with entirely different personnel almost every season and only a brief time actually having a legitimate franchise WR. I get the argument for Montana and Bradshaw but I just think Brady edges them out for those reasons. There's always the question of what it aikman didn't have smith and Irvin, or what if Montana didn't have rice, etc. But Brady actually hasn't had anything to work with talent wise that even comes close to those except for a little time with Moss. He's the one QB on this list that has done it with the least to work with
And when you add to this the fact that Brady is essentially immobile and has not played behind great offensive lines, his accomplishments are even greater.

Bart Starr won 5 NFL championships in 7 years. He also has the all time high quarterback rating of playoff quarterbacks with 104.8 And he accomplished this in an era where the games rules didn't favor passing.

Pretty clear to me.

Mark
What would Brady have to do to pass him?

Exactly.

Missing from the list

Aaron Rogers
Drew Brees
Roger Staubach
Warren Moon

Bart Starr won 5 NFL championships in 7 years. He also has the all time high quarterback rating of playoff quarterbacks with 104.8 And he accomplished this in an era where the games rules didn't favor passing.

Pretty clear to me.

Mark
but again, Starr was surrounded by great players.

Y U no Archie Manning? Archie knows the game. Hoo-wee! I'll never forget that night the Pats were undefeated and Eli started these crazy college jackboot plays in the Superbowl. :banana:

I was actually rooting for Brady that year, it did not go my way!

Who has Brady trained?

Joe Montana trained Steve Young, and I believe Vinny Testeverde learned some, too.

Archie, of course, trained his sons: Peyton and Eli.

Its best quarterback poll, not best coach...Joe Montana and Steve Young had Jerry rice...Brady makes the people around him better, you gotta give him that .

I went with Brady, but I really only considered Super Bowl era QBs. Otherwise I might have gone with Otto Graham, who had the most incredible level of success of any QB.

I considered Montana the greatest for a long time, but a few years ago I decided Brady had overtaken him. To make it to the Super Bowl in half of your seasons, winning 5; to get to the AFC Championship game in 12 of 16 seasons; to win the division in 15 of 16 seasons; to have the records Brady already owns, and those he is close to getting; I had to change my mind and consider Brady the best ever of the Super Bowl era.

Now Otto Graham played 10 seasons of professional football and went to the title game in all 10, winning 7. He even won a pro basketball championship in his one year playing that sport. No other QB has had that sort of success. However, that was such a different time, it's hard to compare. When Graham played in the AAFC, it only had 8 teams. When Graham joined the NFL in 1950, I believe there were only 13 teams. The rules were different, the game was played differently.

Montana is the greatest Super Bowl quarterback ever. 4-0, never threw a pick in the big game, 3 time MVP, I put him ahead of Brady there, although it's very close. But for the overall career, Brady is the SB era GOAT.
Montana only went to the Super Bowl 4 Times. You are rewarding him for not making it to more super bowls. Or you are punishing Brady for making it to more super bowls. Don’t forget joe got knocked out of the playoffs before the Super Bowl every year he played except 4 seasons

So if Brady never made it to the Super Bowl the years he lost you’d be sitting here saying Brady is perfect 5 and 0 in his super bowl appearances. Well I’d rather be 5 and 1.

No, I'm not judging that based solely on how many Super Bowls a player played in, but how they performed in those Super Bowls. Montana had a great game-winning drive against the Bengals in a close game. He also had 4 TDs against Miami in a dominant win, and 5 TDs against Denver in a blowout win. Montana never threw a pick in 4 Super Bowls. Montana never lost in 4 Super Bowls. Montana never had fewer than 2 TDs in a Super Bowl. Montana's lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl is 100, his highest is 147.6.

Brady only had 1 TD in the first loss to the Giants. Brady threw picks in 4 of his 8 Super Bowls, and had that huge fumble in the Eagles game (Montana never lost a fumble or threw a pick). Brady never had a blow-out or dominant win. Brady's winning % in the Super Bowl is only .500. Brady's lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl is 82.5. His lowest rating in a Super Bowl he won is 86.2. Brady's highest rating is 115.4.

When you look at how they performed in Super Bowls, Montana was better than Brady. If Montana had played in 4 more Super Bowls, perhaps it would have evened out some, but going by the body of work available, Montana was consistently excellent in the big game.

Since when is 5-3 .500?

I must have been thinking of games he'd thrown a pick in at the time, rather than wins. :eusa_doh:
No quarterback has ever lead their team to 8 super bowls, winning 5 of them ...It'll never be done again...Enough said hater:slap:

I picked Brady as the best QB, and I'm a hater? :lol:

Brady wasn't as good in the Super Bowl as Montana. That's not a knock on Brady, it's a testament to how amazingly well Montana played in the Super Bowls he was in.

Montana only went to the Super Bowl 4 Times. You are rewarding him for not making it to more super bowls. Or you are punishing Brady for making it to more super bowls. Don’t forget joe got knocked out of the playoffs before the Super Bowl every year he played except 4 seasons

So if Brady never made it to the Super Bowl the years he lost you’d be sitting here saying Brady is perfect 5 and 0 in his super bowl appearances. Well I’d rather be 5 and 1.

No, I'm not judging that based solely on how many Super Bowls a player played in, but how they performed in those Super Bowls. Montana had a great game-winning drive against the Bengals in a close game. He also had 4 TDs against Miami in a dominant win, and 5 TDs against Denver in a blowout win. Montana never threw a pick in 4 Super Bowls. Montana never lost in 4 Super Bowls. Montana never had fewer than 2 TDs in a Super Bowl. Montana's lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl is 100, his highest is 147.6.

Brady only had 1 TD in the first loss to the Giants. Brady threw picks in 4 of his 8 Super Bowls, and had that huge fumble in the Eagles game (Montana never lost a fumble or threw a pick). Brady never had a blow-out or dominant win. Brady's winning % in the Super Bowl is only .500. Brady's lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl is 82.5. His lowest rating in a Super Bowl he won is 86.2. Brady's highest rating is 115.4.

When you look at how they performed in Super Bowls, Montana was better than Brady. If Montana had played in 4 more Super Bowls, perhaps it would have evened out some, but going by the body of work available, Montana was consistently excellent in the big game.

Since when is 5-3 .500?

I must have been thinking of games he'd thrown a pick in at the time, rather than wins. :eusa_doh:
No quarterback has ever lead their team to 8 super bowls, winning 5 of them ...It'll never be done again...Enough said hater:slap:

Brady wasn't as good in the Super Bowl as Montana. That's not a knock on Brady, it's a testament to how amazingly well Montana played in the Super Bowls he was in.

Brady (and I'm a hater too so this is honest)
Montana ( I loved him and would love to argue he's the GOAT but he's not)
Bart Starr. Sounds like he was really good.

Who are 4-10?

Otto Graham played 10 years and played in 10 league championship games (winning 4 in AAFC and 3 after merger with NFL). However the only time I saw Graham on the field was when he was the head coach of the Redskins. In the QB favored era we have today he still ranks up there with regard to QB rating (26th historically). So while I voted for Tom Brady, I really would like to split it between the Brady and Graham.

That was a different era before the NFL took off in popularity

Graham had to beat eight other teams in the AAFC and 12 teams in the NFL
You won your division and went straight to the championship game

Brady has to beat out 31 other teams and win at least 3 playoff games to be champion
Much more difficult

Missing from the list

Aaron Rogers
Drew Brees
Roger Staubach
Warren Moon
None of them belong on this list. Rodgers is great and it's totally possible he could eventually belong here but right now he just doesn't

Pretty clear to me.

Mark

I saw Bart Starr play
He executed the power sweep and just jammed the ball down your throat
Very good QB but not an all time great (Johnny U was much better at the time)

Starr won five NFL titles at a time you only had to beat 13 other teams. Win the Western Conference and go straight to the title game
Guys like Brady and Montana had to beat out 31 other teams and win 3 games in the playoffs

Pretty clear to me.

Mark

Not sure, since today the passing game is favored by the rules.

Mark

Pretty clear to me.

Mark
but again, Starr was surrounded by great players.

Sure he was. As are almost any championship teams. And with the passing rules the way they were back then...

Mark

Pretty clear to me.

Mark

I saw Bart Starr play

Starr won five NFL titles at a time you only had to beat 13 other teams. Win the Western Conference and go straight to the title game
Guys like Brady and Montana had to beat out 31 other teams and win 3 games in the playoffs

Maybe todays players aren't as good as yesterdays in a way. 518 players in 1962 in the NFL. Almost 1,700 players today.

Mark

Since when is 5-3 .500?

Its a lot easier when you have the best receiver ever to play the game to throw it to

Pretty clear to me.

Mark

I saw Bart Starr play

Maybe todays players aren't as good as yesterdays in a way. 518 players in 1962 in the NFL. Almost 1,700 players today.

Mark

In 1962, the NFL was a weak sister to baseball. Its players sold cars and ran liquor distributorships in the off season

In 1962 you also had players in the AFL

Forum List

Back