Where did marriage go?

Could we get back to the question of this thread: How do we ensure kids a decent childhood in this brave new world?

Could we get back to the question of this thread: How do we ensure kids a decent childhood in this brave new world?

The traditional way that the left has been so busy undermining over the past 50 years.

Well we could suggest going back to what we know works, or has worked in the past, but that would be regressive, right?

No sir, we must reinvent the wheel!

It is inarguable that children need consistency and stability at home to thrive. The stresses of single parents and the confusion and attachment issues of serial "daddies" who are in and out of the home is not the optimal situation for healthy development. The children of single parents tend to have a lot more social problems--depression, substance abuse, gang involvement--on and on. That doesn't mean they all will, but enough do that being parented in a chaotic household with a stressed out caregiver who is usually too busy to pay you much attention is known to be not great.

Well, the good news is that teenage pregnancy is DOWN. Let's keep that going in that direction. I think, though, people need to be aware that a stable relationship between two caring adults who are committed to raising a child ALL THE WAY THROUGH is going to give kids the best chance.

Mental health, drug abuse, and incarceration all get in the way of stable families, as well.

I started this thread mostly to address the repeated claims by 2AGuy that all this violence in the 'ghetto' is caused by young teenage girls. There is a LOT more to it than that.

Single parents can do fine. . . .. . IF they put their children first.

It all comes down to unconditional love.

The problem in our culture is selfishness and a culture of "ME." Adults think their relationships should be like the ones they see on TEE VEE and in the movies, and they think their happiness is just as important as the well being and mental stability of their children.

There is nothing worse than watching a formally stable home with children, disintegrate, and then watching the woman spend all her time trying to find love.

One can't help but wonder how that affects the kids?

Probably the best way to reduce the divorce rate is to automatically give child custody to men if marriages do not work out, unless the guy was A) unfaithful or B) Beating her.

If for any other reason she leaves? The kids go to him.

I am willing to bet, the divorce rate in this nation would plummet.

It is inarguable that children need consistency and stability at home to thrive. The stresses of single parents and the confusion and attachment issues of serial "daddies" who are in and out of the home is not the optimal situation for healthy development. The children of single parents tend to have a lot more social problems--depression, substance abuse, gang involvement--on and on. That doesn't mean they all will, but enough do that being parented in a chaotic household with a stressed out caregiver who is usually too busy to pay you much attention is known to be not great.

Well, the good news is that teenage pregnancy is DOWN. Let's keep that going in that direction. I think, though, people need to be aware that a stable relationship between two caring adults who are committed to raising a child ALL THE WAY THROUGH is going to give kids the best chance.

Mental health, drug abuse, and incarceration all get in the way of stable families, as well.

I started this thread mostly to address the repeated claims by 2AGuy that all this violence in the 'ghetto' is caused by young teenage girls. There is a LOT more to it than that.

The problem in our culture is selfishness and a culture of "ME." Adults think their relationships should be like the ones they see on TEE VEE and in the movies, and they think their happiness is just as important as the well being and mental stability of their children.

There is nothing worse than watching a formally stable home with children, disintegrate, and then watching the woman spend all her time trying to find love.

Probably the best way to reduce the divorce rate is to automatically give child custody to men if marriages do not work out, unless the guy was A) unfaithful or B) Beating her.

Sure, single parent homes can work, but it is exponentially harder than with two, especially when both have two sexes raising them.

And yes Progressives, the two sexes are different and do offer different things that their offspring finds beneficial.

they think their happiness is just as important as the well being and mental stability of their children.
One needs to be careful there. If parents DON'T take care of themselves, they will be miserable parents, too. Every car needs fuel to run, including parents. I'm afraid even adults who have weathered their parents' divorce have trouble remembering how tough that is on kids, the years they were raised by one depressed, overworked and frazzled parent. I agree with you, Mr. Beale, that some people don't take into consideration how it impacts the kids; they are too busy being impacted themselves.

Of course, if the parents do nothing but scream and throw plates at each other, dad beats mom or mom is a raging drug addict who can't take care of herself let alone a child, a divorce is probably the better option if those problems can't be solved.

I'm glad to hear that 2/3 of people who marry stay married for life. That's good.
The marriage license itself or the religious ceremony itself is not the important thing: if you are going to have children, though, the commitment is.

Bad plan. The female would then have to prove to a court that there was abuse even though she never filed a complaint. The best way to get people family motivated to look for long lasting meaningful is put long lasting relationships back into the limelight. Our media has spent decades tearing that down.

The traditional way that the left has been so busy undermining over the past 50 years.
It's not like you to jump on that bus, usually. I agree with you that the traditional way affords kids more stability, but not that "left is to blame for everything bad" crap.

they think their happiness is just as important as the well being and mental stability of their children.
One needs to be careful there. If parents DON'T take care of themselves, they will be miserable parents, too. Every car needs fuel to run, including parents. I'm afraid even adults who have weathered their parents' divorce have trouble remembering how tough that is on kids, the years they were raised by one depressed, overworked and frazzled parent. I agree with you, Mr. Beale, that some people don't take into consideration how it impacts the kids; they are too busy being impacted themselves.

Of course, if the parents do nothing but scream and throw plates at each other, dad beats mom or mom is a raging drug addict who can't take care of herself let alone a child, a divorce is probably the better option if those problems can't be solved.

I'm glad to hear that 2/3 of people who marry stay married for life. That's good.
The marriage license itself or the religious ceremony itself is not the important thing: if you are going to have children, though, the commitment is.

People have to work at happiness, it just does not come to them easily or naturally, and chasing tail and ending a marriage just because it may make you happy easily and temporarily is not the answer.

Bad plan. The female would then have to prove to a court that there was abuse even though she never filed a complaint. The best way to get people family motivated to look for long lasting meaningful is put long lasting relationships back into the limelight. Our media has spent decades tearing that down.
In what ways is "our media tearing that down?"

It's not like you to jump on that bus, usually. I agree with you that the traditional way affords kids more stability, but not that "left is to blame for everything bad" crap.

Well conservatives harp on traditional family values, and no, just because Republicans talk about it does not mean they believe in it, they just recognize how their base thinks.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Dan Quayle who first used the term and was derided by the Left to scorn.

For the Left, all that matters is obtaining money to redistribute. For them, this will cure all of our ills.

The Left routinely attacks the notion of a traditional marriage between a man and a woman.

Where have you been?

The Left first told us that women can do it alone, then they told us the two need not be married, then they told us they need not be of the opposite sex, etc.

Now people don't even know what gender they are as mere children have begun "transitioning" when they are too young to even date let alone do much of anything else.

Perhaps you should open your eyes and pay attention. If you have not seen it I can't make you see it.

Well conservatives harp on traditional family values, and no, just because Republicans talk about it does not mean they believe in it, they just recognize how their base thinks.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Dan Quayle who first used the term and was derided by the Left to scorn.

For the Left, all that matters is obtaining money to redistribute. For them, this will cure all of our ills.
They were brutal towards Dan Quayle.

They were brutal towards Dan Quayle.

They were even more so with Sarah Palin, assumingly because she was a woman.

But this is because the Left is after block votes based upon race and sex. That is why they treat black conservatives worse than anyone on earth, much how they went after Ben Carson. Here is a man who grew up in black poverty, unlike Barak Obama. He was a true success story and not some privileged punk who grew up in Hawaii and had no idea what racism or poverty really were.

People have to work at happiness, it just does not come to them easily or naturally, and chasing tail and ending a marriage just because it may make you happy easily and temporarily is not the answer.
No, you're right, but has there ever been a life long marriage with no affair? I've seen marriages dissolve because of one and I've seen marriages battle through it and survive.

Perhaps you should open your eyes and pay attention. If you have not seen it I can't make you see it.
No, I certainly haven't seen that the Democrats or the "left" is anymore anti-marriage than anyone else. In real life, that is.

No, you're right, but has there ever been a life long marriage with no affair? I've seen marriages dissolve because of one and I've seen marriages battle through it and survive.

Of course there are.

Billy Graham was one such individual. Someone sat down with him once and asked how he escaped such scandals.

He simply said that he made it a point never to be alone in the same room with a member of the opposite sex.

But usually it takes a person of faith to have such a determined commitment. In fact, that is what the early church was known for, not sleeping around. They were the odd balls and were subsequently thrown to the lions.

Forum List

Back