The American Piano

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Where are the pianos of America? There are the manufacturers all in business, so they still make them, I think, but where are they? In the wild west, every bar had a piano and a pianist. Now do you ever find a bar in America with a piano? Or are pianists so expensive that you don't put pianos any more? I don't understand, where are America's pianos?

Where are the pianos of America? There are the manufacturers all in business, so they still make them, I think, but where are they? In the wild west, every bar had a piano and a pianist. Now do you ever find a bar in America with a piano? Or are pianists so expensive that you don't put pianos any more? I don't understand, where are America's pianos?

Most people so inclined have their own.

That's a Hollywoodism, in the "wild west" most saloons did NOT have a piano.........

That's a Hollywoodism, in the "wild west" most saloons did NOT have a piano.........

Or they did, but it was shot full of holes. :auiqs.jpg:

Or they did, but it was shot full of holes. :auiqs.jpg:
Only if someone was hiding behind it........ :D

I can tell you pianists don't make much unless you are exceptional. Elton John and Billy Joel are in a different category. Also there aren't many bars or venues where people want to hear background piano.

The acoustic piano is, sadly, pretty well on its way out. In fact, most people will upright acoustics cannot get any value on resale. The life of a piano is about 80 years if well-maintained. So about that long ago pianos were in the heyday...no TVs, so many homes had pianos too. Those pianos are still around, but are "aging out". But no one wants them anymore; living rooms are taken up with home entertainment centers.

Those who play usually have keyboards or digital pianos these days. Many more "features" and no maintenance.

For More Pianos, Last Note Is Thud in the Dump

I think it's probably the poshest of locales that have live pianists today. For everywhere else, it's cheaper to have piped-in music.

Forum List

Back