Where did marriage go?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
2aguy wrote recently:

as the welfare state has enabled young, teenage girls to have children from multiple males, without fathers in the home......the young males raised in these homes are becoming more and more violent....

It's not the fault of silly teenage girls or the welfare state that is "enabling" that. The Pill, coming in the same decade with Supreme Court decisions on "obscenity" in the '60's, and loosening of divorce laws completely transformed our culture's attitudes toward sex. When I grew up, if you got pregnant before marriage, it was shameful and you got married right quick, if you could. Young couples were beginning to live together prior to marriage, but then marry in a year or two, but it wasn't that common and it was still considered shameful to most. Those couples often got married in a couple of years. The order of things was supposed to be marriage, sex, children. Of course, people have always snuck in sex before marriage, but it was SNUCK.

Our culture changed dramatically, basically overnight. There is no shame in getting pregnant now outside of marriage; no one hides having sex. Couples very openly live together without marriage and no one bats an eye anymore.

I don't see how we reverse that.

Last edited:
Marriage is for people who need a tax break.

Also consider the divorce rate is nearly 50%. People can say we have old fashioned values but there isn't anything more fundamental to a stable healthy society than marriage and family.

Also consider the divorce rate is nearly 50%. People can say we have old fashioned values but there isn't anything more fundamental to a stable healthy society than marriage and family.
I read some research on this before posting, and one of the reasons some young people are not marrying is because 50% of them had parents who divorced, and they are "gun shy."

It is inarguable that children need consistency and stability at home to thrive. The stresses of single parents and the confusion and attachment issues of serial "daddies" who are in and out of the home is not the optimal situation for healthy development. The children of single parents tend to have a lot more social problems--depression, substance abuse, gang involvement--on and on. That doesn't mean they all will, but enough do that being parented in a chaotic household with a stressed out caregiver who is usually too busy to pay you much attention is known to be not great.

Well, the good news is that teenage pregnancy is DOWN. Let's keep that going in that direction. I think, though, people need to be aware that a stable relationship between two caring adults who are committed to raising a child ALL THE WAY THROUGH is going to give kids the best chance.

Mental health, drug abuse, and incarceration all get in the way of stable families, as well.

I started this thread mostly to address the repeated claims by 2AGuy that all this violence in the 'ghetto' is caused by young teenage girls. There is a LOT more to it than that.

The War on Poverty and the Great Society of former President Lyndon Johnson started to reward bad behavior and punish good behavior. What else should we have expected?

It is inarguable that children need consistency and stability at home to thrive. The stresses of single parents and the confusion and attachment issues of serial "daddies" who are in and out of the home is not the optimal situation for healthy development. The children of single parents tend to have a lot more social problems--depression, substance abuse, gang involvement--on and on. That doesn't mean they all will, but enough do that being parented in a chaotic household with a stressed out caregiver who is usually too busy to pay you much attention is known to be not great.

Well, the good news is that teenage pregnancy is DOWN. Let's keep that going in that direction. I think, though, people need to be aware that a stable relationship between two caring adults who are committed to raising a child ALL THE WAY THROUGH is going to give kids the best chance.

Mental health, drug abuse, and incarceration all get in the way of stable families, as well.

I started this thread mostly to address the repeated claims by 2AGuy that all this violence in the 'ghetto' is caused by young teenage girls. There is a LOT more to it than that.

It's not just teen girls to blame for degrading social values. Adult women bear a lot of responsibility too. They easily buy into propaganda designed to appeal to emotion and vote accordingly. Not only that but they're the ones who choose to have babies with guys with problems, guys who are destined to cheat on them or end up in prison then as single moms they fill their children's head full of nonsense and medication.

The blind cannot see. lol. She doesn't know how to reverse it she says. Odd, isn't it, that all this immorality came to be shortly after religion was booted from the classroom and classified as evil by heathen liberal filth.

This perfectly describes what has happened.

BY WALTER E. WILLIAMS
RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2005, AND THEREAFTER

AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina's destruction of New Orleans, President Bush gave America's poverty pimps and race hustlers new ammunition. The president said, "As all of us saw on television, there is also some deep, persistent poverty in this region as well. And that poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America. We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action."

The president's espousing such a vision not only supplies ammunition to poverty pimps and race hustlers, it focuses attention away from the true connection between race and poverty.

Though I grow weary of pointing it out, let's do it again. Let's examine some numbers readily available from the Census Bureau's 2004 Current Population Survey and ask some questions. There's one segment of the black population that suffers only a 9.9 percent poverty rate, and only 13.7 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. There's another segment that suffers a 39.5 percent poverty rate, and 58.1 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. Among whites, one segment suffers a 6 percent poverty rate, and only 9.9 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. The other segment suffers a 26.4 percent poverty rate, and 52 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. What do you think distinguishes the high and low poverty populations among blacks?

Would you buy an explanation that it's because white people practice discrimination against one segment of the black population and not the other or one segment had a history of slavery and not the other? You'd have to be a lunatic to buy such an explanation. The only distinction between both the black and white populations is marriage -- lower poverty in married-couple families.

In 1960, only 28 percent of black females ages 15 to 44 were never married and illegitimacy among blacks was 22 percent. Today, the never-married rate is 56 percent and illegitimacy stands at 70 percent. If today's black family structure were what it was in 1960, the overall black poverty rate would be in or near single digits. The weakening of the black family structure, and its devastating consequences, have nothing to do with the history of slavery or racial discrimination.

Dr. Charles Murray, an American Enterprise Institute scholar, argues in an article titled "Rediscovering the Underclass" in the Institute's On the Issues series (October 2005) that self-destructive behavior has become the hallmark of the underclass. He says that unemployment in the underclass is not caused by the lack of jobs but by the inability to get up every morning and go to work. In 1954, the percentage of black males, age 20 to 24, not looking for work was nine percent. In 1999, it rose to 30 percent, and that was at a time when employers were beating the bushes for employees. Murray adds that "the statistical reality is that people who get into the American job market and stay there seldom remain poor unless they do something self-destructive.

I share Murray's sentiment expressed at the beginning of his article where he says, "Watching the courage of ordinary low-income people as they deal with the aftermath of Katrina and Rita, it is hard to decide which politicians are more contemptible -- Democrats who are rediscovering poverty and blaming it on George W. Bush, or Republicans who are rediscovering poverty and claiming that the government can fix it." Since President Johnson's War on Poverty, controlling for inflation, the nation has spent $9 trillion on about 80 anti-poverty programs. To put that figure in perspective, last year's U.S. GDP was $11 trillion; $9 trillion exceeds the GDP of any nation except the U.S. Hurricanes Katrina and Rita uncovered the result of the War on Poverty -- dependency and self-destructive behavior.

Guess what the president [President George Walker Bush] and politicians from both parties are asking the American people to do? If you said, "Enact programs that will sustain and enhance dependency," go to the head of the class.

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/05/poverty.html

True, a dysfunctional "traditional" family can also be a terrible environment to raise kids. There just are no easy answers. Narcissism is also very prevalent in the younger generations which can be destructive to a marriage and being a parent.

I read some research on this before posting, and one of the reasons some young people are not marrying is because 50% of them had parents who divorced, and they are "gun shy."
Just an FYI. That 50%divorce rate claim is deceiving and is made up primarily of people who have married and divorced multiple times... Elizabeth Taylor married and divorced 6 or 7 times, Trump divorced twice....

I think it is something like 2/3s of the people married, have only been married once, to the same person, their whole lives....much of the rest have divorced multiple times

That does not mean your theory of many just not marrying anymore is incorrect....

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Screenshot_20190820-185543_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

Kids of my generation witnessed firsthand what it was like to have their parents quarrel and split, so it is natural that some are waiting longer to marry. Hell, most of my friends had been together for many years before they married.

Kids of my generation witnessed firsthand what it was like to have their parents quarrel and split, so it is natural that some are waiting longer to marry. Hell, most of my friends had been together for many years before they married.
societal decay continues!! tehh gays! teh nuclear family! weeeeeeee

societal decay continues!! tehh gays! teh nuclear family! weeeeeeee

Alarmists have been signing that hysterical tune since time immemorial.

Just an FYI. That 50%divorce rate claim is deceiving and is made up primarily of people who have married and divorced multiple times... Elizabeth Taylor married and divorced 6 or 7 times, Trump divorced twice....

I think it is something like 2/3s of the people married, have only been married once, to the same person, their whole lives....much of the rest have divorced multiple times

That does not mean your theory of many just not marrying anymore is incorrect....
I hadn't heard that. If it's true that nearly 2/3rds of married people marry once for life that is encouraging.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to bring a kid into this world now for anyway?

I know little trollop girls around here that just couldn't wait to get pregnant. None of them married, just pop out a kid. Morons, and most certainly they'll raise another moron.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to bring a kid into this world now for anyway?

I know little trollop girls around here that just couldn't wait to get pregnant. None of them married, just pop out a kid. Morons, and most certainly they'll raise another moron.
It's a great time to be alive, that's why I had kids.

Forum List

Back