Where did marriage go?

Why would anyone in their right mind want to bring a kid into this world now for anyway?

I know little trollop girls around here that just couldn't wait to get pregnant. None of them married, just pop out a kid. Morons, and most certainly they'll raise another moron.
It's a great time to be alive, that's why I had kids.
No it's not. We had it far better 50 years ago. We actually had FREEDOM, and there wasn't some sort of electronic device up your ass listening to every single word you said, and the nation still had a moral compass. People now suck, and the radical shit stain democrats are ruining the nation.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to bring a kid into this world now for anyway?

I know little trollop girls around here that just couldn't wait to get pregnant. None of them married, just pop out a kid. Morons, and most certainly they'll raise another moron.
No it's not. We had it far better 50 years ago. We actually had FREEDOM, and there wasn't some sort of electronic device up your ass listening to every single word you said, and the nation still had a moral compass. People now suck, and the radical shit stain democrats are ruining the nation.
:lol:

I dont see things that way, freedom of thought is still alive!

2aguy wrote recently:

as the welfare state has enabled young, teenage girls to have children from multiple males, without fathers in the home......the young males raised in these homes are becoming more and more violent....

It's not the fault of silly teenage girls or the welfare state that is "enabling" that. The Pill, coming in the same decade with Supreme Court decisions on "obscenity" in the '60's, and loosening of divorce laws completely transformed our culture's attitudes toward sex. When I grew up, if you got pregnant before marriage, it was shameful and you got married right quick, if you could. Young couples were beginning to live together prior to marriage, but then marry in a year or two, but it wasn't that common and it was still considered shameful to most. Those couples often got married in a couple of years. The order of things was supposed to be marriage, sex, children. Of course, people have always snuck in sex before marriage, but it was SNUCK.

Our culture changed dramatically, basically overnight. There is no shame in getting pregnant now outside of marriage; no one hides having sex. Couples very openly live together without marriage and no one bats an eye anymore.

I don't see how we reverse that.
And there’s no reason to reverse it.

Unfortunately there are far too many on the authoritarian reactionary right who will attempt to do so; conservatives frightened by change, diversity, and dissent, conservatives who will seek to compel conformity and punish dissent.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?
I'm sure that I am happy to be alive and raising children. I have a perspective you don't share ~ thats fine by me.

Also consider the divorce rate is nearly 50%. People can say we have old fashioned values but there isn't anything more fundamental to a stable healthy society than marriage and family.
I read some research on this before posting, and one of the reasons some young people are not marrying is because 50% of them had parents who divorced, and they are "gun shy."
Just an FYI. That 50%divorce rate claim is deceiving and is made up primarily of people who have married and divorced multiple times... Elizabeth Taylor married and divorced 6 or 7 times, Trump divorced twice....

I think it is something like 2/3s of the people married, have only been married once, to the same person, their whole lives....much of the rest have divorced multiple times

That does not mean your theory of many just not marrying anymore is incorrect....
You need to check your statistics. The 50/50 is for first marriages. For second marriages the rate is higher and for third marriages the rate is even higher yet.

2aguy wrote recently:

as the welfare state has enabled young, teenage girls to have children from multiple males, without fathers in the home......the young males raised in these homes are becoming more and more violent....

It's not the fault of silly teenage girls or the welfare state that is "enabling" that. The Pill, coming in the same decade with Supreme Court decisions on "obscenity" in the '60's, and loosening of divorce laws completely transformed our culture's attitudes toward sex. When I grew up, if you got pregnant before marriage, it was shameful and you got married right quick, if you could. Young couples were beginning to live together prior to marriage, but then marry in a year or two, but it wasn't that common and it was still considered shameful to most. Those couples often got married in a couple of years. The order of things was supposed to be marriage, sex, children. Of course, people have always snuck in sex before marriage, but it was SNUCK.

Our culture changed dramatically, basically overnight. There is no shame in getting pregnant now outside of marriage; no one hides having sex. Couples very openly live together without marriage and no one bats an eye anymore.

Tell him the answer to all his questions is in this mess

ChelseaHandler-instagram-crop-640x480.jpg

who NOW cries

meow meow meow i want a man ....why wont a man wuv me ...I want a strong man waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

2aguy wrote recently:

Adapt. Old people have been terrified for the entirety of human history.

The blind cannot see. lol. She doesn't know how to reverse it she says. Odd, isn't it, that all this immorality came to be shortly after religion was booted from the classroom and classified as evil by heathen liberal filth.
I'm glad you brought up religion. Attendance in a traditional church is also tanking over the past decades. However, in public schools, religion was never IN the classroom. Saying "Thank you for the world so sweet..." before milk and cookies is as far as religion ever went in my classroom, and probably most others of us who are still alive. So I'm not sure if "religion being booted from the schools" is a factor.

2aguy wrote recently:

We require that a woman name the father of her children then we force that man to pay child support.

This perfectly describes what has happened.

BY WALTER E. WILLIAMS
RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2005, AND THEREAFTER

AMMUNITION FOR POVERTY PIMPS

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina's destruction of New Orleans, President Bush gave America's poverty pimps and race hustlers new ammunition. The president said, "As all of us saw on television, there is also some deep, persistent poverty in this region as well. And that poverty has roots in a history of racial discrimination, which cut off generations from the opportunity of America. We have a duty to confront this poverty with bold action."

The president's espousing such a vision not only supplies ammunition to poverty pimps and race hustlers, it focuses attention away from the true connection between race and poverty.

Though I grow weary of pointing it out, let's do it again. Let's examine some numbers readily available from the Census Bureau's 2004 Current Population Survey and ask some questions. There's one segment of the black population that suffers only a 9.9 percent poverty rate, and only 13.7 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. There's another segment that suffers a 39.5 percent poverty rate, and 58.1 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. Among whites, one segment suffers a 6 percent poverty rate, and only 9.9 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. The other segment suffers a 26.4 percent poverty rate, and 52 percent of its under-5-year-olds are poor. What do you think distinguishes the high and low poverty populations among blacks?

Would you buy an explanation that it's because white people practice discrimination against one segment of the black population and not the other or one segment had a history of slavery and not the other? You'd have to be a lunatic to buy such an explanation. The only distinction between both the black and white populations is marriage -- lower poverty in married-couple families.

In 1960, only 28 percent of black females ages 15 to 44 were never married and illegitimacy among blacks was 22 percent. Today, the never-married rate is 56 percent and illegitimacy stands at 70 percent. If today's black family structure were what it was in 1960, the overall black poverty rate would be in or near single digits. The weakening of the black family structure, and its devastating consequences, have nothing to do with the history of slavery or racial discrimination.

Dr. Charles Murray, an American Enterprise Institute scholar, argues in an article titled "Rediscovering the Underclass" in the Institute's On the Issues series (October 2005) that self-destructive behavior has become the hallmark of the underclass. He says that unemployment in the underclass is not caused by the lack of jobs but by the inability to get up every morning and go to work. In 1954, the percentage of black males, age 20 to 24, not looking for work was nine percent. In 1999, it rose to 30 percent, and that was at a time when employers were beating the bushes for employees. Murray adds that "the statistical reality is that people who get into the American job market and stay there seldom remain poor unless they do something self-destructive.

I share Murray's sentiment expressed at the beginning of his article where he says, "Watching the courage of ordinary low-income people as they deal with the aftermath of Katrina and Rita, it is hard to decide which politicians are more contemptible -- Democrats who are rediscovering poverty and blaming it on George W. Bush, or Republicans who are rediscovering poverty and claiming that the government can fix it." Since President Johnson's War on Poverty, controlling for inflation, the nation has spent $9 trillion on about 80 anti-poverty programs. To put that figure in perspective, last year's U.S. GDP was $11 trillion; $9 trillion exceeds the GDP of any nation except the U.S. Hurricanes Katrina and Rita uncovered the result of the War on Poverty -- dependency and self-destructive behavior.

Guess what the president [President George Walker Bush] and politicians from both parties are asking the American people to do? If you said, "Enact programs that will sustain and enhance dependency," go to the head of the class.

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/05/poverty.html
The only distinction between both the black and white populations is marriage -- lower poverty in married-couple families.
Wow! That fits into this thread perfectly! I guess it makes sense that two incomes would be less likely to be in poverty.

Also consider the divorce rate is nearly 50%. People can say we have old fashioned values but there isn't anything more fundamental to a stable healthy society than marriage and family.
I read some research on this before posting, and one of the reasons some young people are not marrying is because 50% of them had parents who divorced, and they are "gun shy."
Just an FYI. That 50%divorce rate claim is deceiving and is made up primarily of people who have married and divorced multiple times... Elizabeth Taylor married and divorced 6 or 7 times, Trump divorced twice....

I think it is something like 2/3s of the people married, have only been married once, to the same person, their whole lives....much of the rest have divorced multiple times

That does not mean your theory of many just not marrying anymore is incorrect....
Good to know! That is better than a poke in the eye.

2aguy wrote recently:

And there’s no reason to reverse it.

Unfortunately there are far too many on the authoritarian reactionary right who will attempt to do so; conservatives frightened by change, diversity, and dissent, conservatives who will seek to compel conformity and punish dissent.
I had a feeling some people would see my OP as some kind of moralizing thread, complaining about the decline of society or whatever. That was not the intent and that is not where my head is at. It isn't the piece of paper saying you're legally married that matters. It is the commitment to the children that I'm thinking of.

I am thinking of children raised in single parent households. They are more likely to live in poverty and experience trauma and ongoing dysfunction than kids from stable homes with married parents. Those kids are more likely to grow up with problems of their own--mental health, substance abuse, criminal involvement--and repeat the cycle when they become parents.

My OP was thinking of the kids, and disputing 2AGuy's habit of blaming it all on teenage girls and welfare rules.

2aguy wrote recently:

We require that a woman name the father of her children then we force that man to pay child support.
Yes, if you can find the man to DNA test him and "prove" he's the dad. If you get the court order for him to pay, he can work under the table or move to a state that doesn't collect for other states. It's a great plan, when it works.

Whatching people close to them; fathers, uncles, brother, etc... Getting divorce raped by the gynocentric court system has played a heavy hand in men’s refusal to marry. And rightly so.

2aguy wrote recently:

Yes, if you can find the man to DNA test him and "prove" he's the dad. If you get the court order for him to pay, he can work under the table or move to a state that doesn't collect for other states. It's a great plan, when it works.
Good example OL! A perfect example of what men have watched these strong, independent women do. They want the kids, they want the lifestyle that a traditional marriage would bring. At least the kids, and supplemental income... But also want to be free of any responsibility to a husband, and the liberty to fuck anyone they want, consequences be damned. More of the same old feminist “you can have it all” bullshit that’s been pumped into little girls heads. Only worsened by the threat of armed men coming to extort the intended target, under the color of law. There used to be a time when making bad decisions had consequences that were the decision makers alone to bear. But since the women’s vote, and the rise of feminism, women have managed to legislate away any consequence for piss poor decisions.
So... Good post OL! That is a shining example of why men are deciding not to marry in the numbers our elders were accustomed to seeing.

2aguy wrote recently:

I don't want to spend 60 years in a loveless marriage simply because we made a mistake at 17.

I don't want my children spending their entire lives living in loveless marriages simply because they made a mistake at 17

People change and mature as they age.

we are NOT mature enough to make lifetime decisions at 17
or 20
or even 25

we are still maturing, growing, experiencing....

It is really kind of silly, when you think of it, to expect 20 year old children who just left home for college and just started to have experiences to hurry up and get married.

let them live!
let them have experiences and new relationships.

The person I would have chosen to spend my life with at 17 would have been a big mistake.

the person I chose to spend my life with at 37 was PERFECT!

and I have been with her, in LOVE with her, for 30 years.

and we are not married.

2aguy wrote recently:

Good example OL! A perfect example of what men have watched these strong, independent women do. They want the kids, they want the lifestyle that a traditional marriage would bring. At least the kids, and supplemental income... But also want to be free of any responsibility to a husband, and the liberty to fuck anyone they want, consequences be damned. More of the same old feminist “you can have it all” bullshit that’s been pumped into little girls heads. Only worsened by the threat of armed men coming to extort the intended target, under the color of law. There used to be a time when making bad decisions had consequences that were the decision makers alone to bear. But since the women’s vote, and the rise of feminism, women have managed to legislate away any consequence for piss poor decisions.
So... Good post OL! That is a shining example of why men are deciding not to marry in the numbers our elders were accustomed to seeing.
upload_2019-8-21_9-12-55.png

2aguy wrote recently:

I don't want to spend 60 years in a loveless marriage simply because we made a mistake at 17.

I don't want my children spending their entire lives living in loveless marriages simply because they made a mistake at 17

People change and mature as they age.

we are NOT mature enough to make lifetime decisions at 17
or 20
or even 25

we are still maturing, growing, experiencing....

It is really kind of silly, when you think of it, to expect 20 year old children who just left home for college and just started to have experiences to hurry up and get married.

let them live!
let them have experiences and new relationships.

The person I would have chosen to spend my life with at 17 would have been a big mistake.

the person I chose to spend my life with at 37 was PERFECT!

and I have been with her, in LOVE with her, for 30 years.

and we are not married.
I'm very happy for you.

Forum List

Back