When Politics impact business decisions

Not That Guy

Dec 21, 2023
Nazi York
Speaking with a colleague of mine today at work, we somehow got on the discussion of small businesses and politics.

My colleague owns a small landscaping business and made a startling admission which has me thinking about other small business decisions today.

He says to me; if he gets any inclination that his customer is a democrat, or as he called it a 'democrat symphasizer(sp)' his prices double. He calls it the democrat tax, and his justification is that its only fair, that democrats pay more for the same service as others because they want high taxes and government tyranny

This cant be legal. But then it got me thinking, how many other businesses are discriminating against people based on politics? And where does it end?

Speaking with a colleague of mine today at work, we somehow got on the discussion of small businesses and politics.

My colleague owns a small landscaping business and made a startling admission which has me thinking about other small business decisions today.

He says to me; if he gets any inclination that his customer is a democrat, or as he called it a 'democrat symphasizer(sp)' his prices double. He calls it the democrat tax, and his justification is that its only fair, that democrats pay more for the same service as others because they want high taxes and government tyranny

This cant be legal. But then it got me thinking, how many other businesses are discriminating against people based on politics? And where does it end?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-refuse-to-serve-or-employ-trump-supporters/
But political affiliation is rarely on the list. A few cities or counties do ban such discrimination. D.C. bans discrimination based on “the state of belonging to or endorsing any political party.” Seattle bans such discrimination based on “any idea or belief, or coordinated body of ideas or beliefs, relating to the purpose, conduct, organization, function or basis of government and related institutions and activities, whether or not characteristic of any political party or group,” “includ[ing] membership in a political party or group and includ[ing] conduct, reasonably related to political ideology, which does not interfere with job performance.”
Of course you can have an excise tax on Democrats, because they have excise tax on the rich but not the poor.

Avoid hiring democrats.

Evil people make horrible employees.

You'll either thank me for this advice and agree or tell me later how you wish you would have listened to me.

It begins and ends with what the consumers are willing to spend, often spending more to make themselves feel morally superior as they get fleeced. As for your friend's landscaping business, if he gets a reputation for being over-priced, he is done for. That is an industry with a lot of competition, both formal and informal.

A bit late to be finding out how human nature and choices work .

Great topic.

It looks like partisan politics have now seeped into our culture. Combine that with the fact (at least in my opinion) that politics poisons and perverts everything it touches, and you have a serious potential probem. VERY fuckin' serious. Its effects on business are bad enough, but now it's tearing FAMILIES apart, too.

All this stuff is up to us. It's a choice we're making here.

Great topic.

It looks like partisan politics have now seeped into our culture. Combine that with the fact (at least in my opinion) that politics poisons and perverts everything it touches, and you have a serious potential probem. VERY fuckin' serious. Its effects on business are bad enough, but now it's tearing FAMILIES apart, too.

All this stuff is up to us. It's a choice we're making here.

But all you are reminding us is that collectively we are a despicable species -- self centered , greedy and very violent .
Which we clearly are, despite the attempts of a minority who try to behave differently , but , tragically , also seem to always ultimately fail , albeit for different reasons

Forum List

Back