What Trump Missing the Debate Really Means

I am reading that Fox is begging him to change his mind.. even Hannity tried to call him but he is not taking any calls. Trump only wants to deal with Murdoch now!

Good on him!:thup:
NO!!!! Bad on Fox, that is. None of this drawing the red line and then backing down. Right, guys?

It's a game of brinksmanship. Fox is a for profit company and Trump has made the calculation that he can kick them in the wallet at little cost to himself.

And he's likely right.

Thats an interesting way to describe being a cry baby.

But he'll be tough on other things as long as people treat him nicely

There are plenty of ways to look at this situation.

We can say he's being a cry baby, sure, but that's a bit simplistic. I think if he thought he needed this debate he'd show and, who knows, he still might.

We can also look at it as a game of brinksmanship. In this case, Trump holds the cards and he knows it.

This is a pissing contest between Trump and Ailes. Two ego-manics fighting on Twitter. It's absurd, really, from both perspectives.

But at the end of the day it is Fox that loses if Trump pulls out, no doubt about that. Trump knows it and has told the weaker party to get fucked. Baby? Maybe. Them that holds the gold make the rules? Definitely.

If you really want a to know what Trump is doing, read "The Art of the Deal". Trump is winning the Deal.

Winning maybe?

At the expense of his reputation as a tough guy? Yes! since Kelly spooks him so much. Of he can't answer questions from a cute blond then how is he going to stick out his chest at other leaders after this cry baby routine?

It's a game of brinksmanship. Fox is a for profit company and Trump has made the calculation that he can kick them in the wallet at little cost to himself.

And he's likely right.

We can say he's being a cry baby, sure, but that's a bit simplistic. I think if he thought he needed this debate he'd show and, who knows, he still might.

We can also look at it as a game of brinksmanship. In this case, Trump holds the cards and he knows it.

This is a pissing contest between Trump and Ailes. Two ego-manics fighting on Twitter. It's absurd, really, from both perspectives.

But at the end of the day it is Fox that loses if Trump pulls out, no doubt about that. Trump knows it and has told the weaker party to get fucked. Baby? Maybe. Them that holds the gold make the rules? Definitely.

If you really want a to know what Trump is doing, read "The Art of the Deal". Trump is winning the Deal.

Winning maybe?

At the expense of his reputation as a tough guy? Yes! since Kelly spooks him so much. Of he can't answer questions from a cute blond then how is he going to stick out his chest at other leaders after this cry baby routine?

Like I said, the only ones really bitching about his not appearing are Liberals who are not going to vote for any of the Republican candidates anyway.

The crap people are uncovering about Fox and this debate is not looking good at all. When you have Michelle Malkin exposing some really provocative things Fox had/has up its sleeve, you know things are bad. Its no wonder people like Stirewalt said before the shit hit the fan (Trump bailing) that "friday it will be a whole other race, I can promise you that" (via Twitter)

I wonder what the fallout is going to be. There's a lot of shit going on over there beyond this debate.

And he's likely right.

To some extent I agree. In the business world, his response would not be any sort of surprise. He assessed the risk to be minimal, realized he had the leverage, and he used the leverage. It's a simple call really.

He may yet change his mind, but to me this looks more like a binary decision making process than anything else.

And he's likely right.

Winning maybe?

Like I said, the only ones really bitching about his not appearing are Liberals who are not going to vote for any of the Republican candidates anyway.

Who is bitching has nothing to do with his reputation taking a hit from being scared off by Kelly

Trump is dominating the media. He says jump, they say how high.

They are his chew toys. He plays with them, then spits them out when he's done.

Fox News is a perfect example. After he announced he was not going to attend their debate, they spent all of the rest of the evening talking about it. Then they brought out analysts and pundits to talk about it some more! Today they are all doing what? TALKING ABOUT TRUMP. That is exactly what he wanted. He is DOMINATING. Show or no show, TRUMP now owns the debate, just like he owns the media.

PS - I hear it is going to cost Fox News around $20 million. They went from $750,000 / minute to $125,000 / minute for advertising.

Winning maybe?

Who is bitching has nothing to do with his reputation taking a hit from being scared off by Kelly

Hold your drawers. Watch his uptick in the polls again. He is all over the news. It is Megan and Fox News who are taking the hit.

Winning maybe?

Hold your drawers. Watch his uptick in the polls again. He is all over the news. It is Megan and Fox News who are taking the hit.

An uptick in polls doesnt change his reputation for being a pussy either.

I guess the thought process will be As soon as he meets with any other leader

Foreign Leader: Wait, that guy who was crying about some blond being mean? He's a pussy
Advisor: He had an uptick in the polls tho
Foreign Leader: OH WELL WHY DID YOU SAY SO! HE"S COURAGEOUS!

A lot are calling him a sissy for not wanting to face Megyn. Others are claiming it shows a weakness or thin skin that is out of place for a president. (We see what that thin skin does every day with the current resident of the Oval Office) But, what does it REALLY show?

Someone who's out to show just what the media in general has come to in this world. He is standing up to deception from the likes of Roger Ailes and, yes, the Republican leader of the US Senate, Mitch McConnell.

The bottom line is Donald Trump is advocating for us; he’s representing the interests of all of us who are sick and tired of being lied to and manipulated by the Mitch McConnells of the world. So while campaigning, he’s taking them head on.

The story is @ URGENT REMINDER: Why Donald Trump Battles The Fox News Machine…

So. What are your thoughts?

That Trump worshippers will go to any lengths, no matter how ridiculous, to make excuses for that narcissistic blowhard.
Yeah.....pretty tough to defend Hillary, aye sponge lips?
Nice side step. It is in Trump's best interest to attend because he's neck and neck with Cruz and acting even more purile isn't going to win hearts and minds.

Neck and Neck? What polling data are you looking at...nationally Trump is double Cruz plus...like 41% to 16%.

And in Iowa, Cruz has only managed to best Trump in ONE poll...by 2% with a 3% margin of error.

View attachment 61275
Well, you know, honesty is in short supply here at USMB.

So basically, you've been absorbed into the Trump Collective, and now believe that there is only Trump and far leftwing Hillaryism.

So sad.

It's still early. We haven't even had one caucus or vote yet. Once he starts winning states others will drop out.

Sure others will drop out, but you're assuming their supporters will then side with Trump.

The more I see of him, the less likely that becomes.

It's a toss-up who's the biggest turn-off to supporting Trump: his supporters, or Trump himself.

Last edited:
You know it's a liberal when it knows the dealer is cheating at cards but lays his/her/its money down anyway.

But you may be wrong in that judgement. Some chance it might be just exceptionally stupid or, more likely, a shill.

Fox is the loser here. I don't fault them for standing behind their employee. They should do that. It will cost them big time. There's really no one left to see other than possibly Cruz and Marco. The others don't have a snowball's chance and should already be off the stage. As much as I like Rand Paul, he is going absolutely nowhere. Megan should shut her mouth about Trump's non-participation. She's already alienated a lot of people by her performance in the first debate. She's beginning to sound like that Dixie Chic mouth. Just have the debate and reconcile yourself that you are going to lose viewership and move on.

No, the REAL loser(s) would be the American people.

Is it at all possible that Trump's cheerleaders could stop hooting and hollering long enough to remember that this is not Trump's reality show feuding with its network, with a big, fat "Who gives a crap" at stake? This is a debate in the primaries for the Republican Presidential nomination. It has a purpose beyond empty, mindless entertainment. It exists to - hopefully - inform people and help them decide who to vote for, or possibly even TO vote.

I realize that it's impossible for drinkers of the Trump Kool-Aid to imagine that the whole nation hasn't become wild-eyed fanboys along with them, but many people haven't. Many people haven't even been particularly paying attention up until now. And I would very much like to challenge the notion that a handful of debates and a buttload of Twitter blurbs are "all we need to know" in order to choose the leader of the free world out of a wad of people we weren't even paying attention to six months ago. Even Donald Trump, celebrity extraordinaire, was just "that rude rich guy with the funny haircut" to most people back then.

So how about we remember, while we're all getting our entertainment jollies over Trump's spoiled prima donna tantrum that there's actually something important at stake here, and it says nothing positive about him that his ego is, once again, a higher priority?

Nice side step. It is in Trump's best interest to attend because he's neck and neck with Cruz and acting even more purile isn't going to win hearts and minds.

Neck and Neck? What polling data are you looking at...nationally Trump is double Cruz plus...like 41% to 16%.

And in Iowa, Cruz has only managed to best Trump in ONE recent poll...by 2% with a 3% margin of error.

View attachment 61275

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - Iowa Republican Presidential Caucus
Yeah, right. Why even have a vote? They are very close in Iowa and no way is Donnie's move going to win votes in this reality.

Donald is Barack Obama dressed in Republican garb anyway, so why not just go whole hog and give him the coronation Obama's supporters tried to push for? Given the political trends in this country the last couple decades or so, I don't know why we're even bothering to pretend to be a real, functioning, serious nation with a democratic tradition any more.

Winning maybe?

And the gain for America as a nation from all this? You DO remember there was a larger point to the whole exercise, right?

Forum List

Back