Zone1 What makes people do horrible things?

This horse is dead, move on.
I agree. Throughout my time teaching I've been coughed on, sneezed on, and a few times hit with vomit. The students were all apologetic, but miserable. Then needed closeness and comfort, and that is what I gave them before taking care of myself. Before schools were closed, but there was an early presence with Covid, I had no doubt I would continue to be sneezed on, coughed on, etc. Didn't bother me. During Covid, out in the parking lot, a grocery bag burst open spilling his groceries. I could tell the people who saw it would have liked to help, but because of Covid hesitated. I understood, but it didn't stop me from going over to him to help get his groceries to his car.

We see two equally good things at work here. People wanted to help the man, but they also had a responsibility to keep their families/co-workers safe. They made the right choice in protecting their own.

If the one person in the area who was used to being sneezed, coughed, vomited on in the past was there and couldn't extend a hand in the present, something was wrong with her, so I also did the right thing--while also assuring myself that spilled groceries wasn't listed as a symptom of Covid19.

Two things were going on during Covid: For good reasons, people were avoiding/distancing themselves from others to avoid the spread. Second, people stepped up (think medical, those who protect, etc.) because they knew despite Covid19, people could still use a hand.

No reason for either side to snipe at the other--then, or now.

Remember the 1961 experiment where one person shocks the other person even when they turn the voltage up past dangerous levels? 40 times some hate it some actually enjoy it. Over half make it up to 400 volts. What they learned is people will cross the line because they are listening to authority.

Survival.

Humans are omnivores, which means we kill and eat other animals.
We do what we need to survive, rather than be nice.

Survival.

Except we are not living in survival mode anymore.

We no longer need to kill animals to survive, The average person in the industrialized world has access to more food than he could ever eat.

We know far more about nutrition, food production and preservation and the body's needs than prehistoric man who barely eked out an existence scavenging dead animals and killing others to stave off starvation and death.

And the Milgram experiment contained no threat to survival. There was no punishment for not continuing to shock people and anyone could have walked away at any time.

Survival.

But not in the case of this experiment. The test subjects lives aren't being threatened. So why do some say no, some say yes reluctantly and some shock the person gleefully?

But not in the case of this experiment. The test subjects lives aren't being threatened. So why do some say no, some say yes reluctantly and some shock the person gleefully?

Not what I mean.

Humans are designed to survive. We've evolved and adapted to survive. We haven't evolved to not survive in the harsh reality of the world.

So, we have all these selfish attributes that help us survive as cavemen.

Not what I mean.

Humans are designed to survive. We've evolved and adapted to survive. We haven't evolved to not survive in the harsh reality of the world.

So, we have all these selfish attributes that help us survive as cavemen.
I agree. All humans have some good and bad in them. Some have more good than bad, some more bad than good. It's a spectrum. Some people said "I can't shock him at that level". Some did it reluctantly and some did it GLADLY.

BTK a serial killer who did unthinkable things loved his daughters.

BTK a serial killer who did unthinkable things loved his daughters.
Not the ones that are sociopaths. But sure, even Attila the Hun had a family he cared for. As he rationalized doing wrong as a right. The original sin.

Not the ones that are sociopaths. But sure, even Attila the Hun had a family he cared for. As he rationalized doing wrong as a right. The original sin.
I found these

Yes, sociopaths can love their family. They may not show it in the same way that other people do, but they are capable of feeling love and attachment to their family members.

YES!!! The last answer is confusing sociopaths and psychopaths. Psychopaths see family as an accessory, but sociopaths are able to love. We don't love the way normal people do, not as strongly. But we do love. Of course not all sociopaths fell that love specifically for their family, but that is more to do with the individual, not the condition.

This one is sad. Asked does he feel love?

Yes, I do. But it's not normal love. It's tainted, perversed, calculated love. I've never felt any other form of love in my life other than the love you feel when you know you are doing what you were meant to do. It's actually one of the most sickening parts of this disorder. We are void in a sense. Unable to feel love as it should be. It's enough to make one self loathe and curse God and existence. We are surrounded by love we can never truly feel. Yet, we are so perfect in every other way. It's like being blessed with good looks, good luck, innate capacity and intelligence and being loved by the world, but the trade is that we may never partake of it on an emotional level… a curse. The love we feel is intermingled with feelings of superiority, insecurity, anger, hatred, deep and despairing sadness and grotesque carnal desires. Every now and then the fog clears just for 1 fleeting enlightening moment and I look at my wife and cry in terror and despair as I feel the connection, the epiphany fade back into an abysmal grey… just a taste. Just a taste of what is real. That's all it was. Like licking an ice cream cone for the first time as a child. For the first time I truly cared about someone for a moment and hated myself for the way I treated them. But alas it is never meant to last. It took years to make that connection just for a fleeting moment at a time. It's hardly worth it. It's despairing. I remember looking at her as my happiness and guilt turned to despair and weakly uttering through a choked cry, “I'm going back in now…”

I found these

Yes, sociopaths can love their family. They may not show it in the same way that other people do, but they are capable of feeling love and attachment to their family members.

YES!!! The last answer is confusing sociopaths and psychopaths. Psychopaths see family as an accessory, but sociopaths are able to love. We don't love the way normal people do, not as strongly. But we do love. Of course not all sociopaths fell that love specifically for their family, but that is more to do with the individual, not the condition.

Yes, I do. But it's not normal love. It's tainted, perversed, calculated love. I've never felt any other form of love in my life other than the love you feel when you know you are doing what you were meant to do. It's actually one of the most sickening parts of this disorder. We are void in a sense. Unable to feel love as it should be. It's enough to make one self loathe and curse God and existence. We are surrounded by love we can never truly feel. Yet, we are so perfect in every other way. It's like being blessed with good looks, good luck, innate capacity and intelligence and being loved by the world, but the trade is that we may never partake of it on an emotional level… a curse. The love we feel is intermingled with feelings of superiority, insecurity, anger, hatred, deep and despairing sadness and grotesque carnal desires. Every now and then the fog clears just for 1 fleeting enlightening moment and I look at my wife and cry in terror and despair as I feel the connection, the epiphany fade back into an abysmal grey… just a taste. Just a taste of what is real. That's all it was. Like licking an ice cream cone for the first time as a child. For the first time I truly cared about someone for a moment and hated myself for the way I treated them. But alas it is never meant to last. It took years to make that connection just for a fleeting moment at a time. It's hardly worth it. It's despairing. I remember looking at her as my happiness and guilt turned to despair and weakly uttering through a choked cry, “I'm going back in now…”
I stopped reading after "They may not show it." Seemed like the logical thing to do.

Remember the 1961 experiment where one person shocks the other person even when they turn the voltage up past dangerous levels? 40 times some hate it some actually enjoy it. Over half make it up to 400 volts. What they learned is people will cross the line because they are listening to authority.

We watched you people say unvaccinated Americans should be executed.

I found these

The error in thinking is that we equate the abnormal, the actual outliers as the norm of what the rest of us would be without laws or religion or whatever.

The simple facts are that the vast majority of the 8 billion people on this rock will never commit murder, will never rape a woman or abuse a child. the default human behavior is not "evil" it is in fact neutral leaning toward the "good".

The indoctrinated have been taught that they are actually monsters who will inevitably do terrible things if they do not have the sword of some sort of divine authority hanging over their heads.

The error in thinking is that we equate the abnormal, the actual outliers as the norm of what the rest of us would be without laws or religion or whatever.

The simple facts are that the vast majority of the 8 billion people on this rock will never commit murder, will never rape a woman or abuse a child. the default human behavior is not "evil" it is in fact neutral leaning toward the "good".

The indoctrinated have been taught that they are actually monsters who will inevitably do terrible things if they do not have the sword of some sort of divine authority hanging over their heads.
Like I said, there’s a spectrum and we’re all on it. You say most would not murder even if it were legal. I wonder how many would if it were legal. For example, the grandmother is going to have to be put in a home. That’s going to eat up your inheritance. I wonder how many would murder for $50k? We know some people try to get away with it even though it’s morally and legally wrong. You don’t think making it legal would up the number of murders?

Shit. Stand your ground has upped the number. Make it legal and we’d see a lot more murder. Purge?

Yea and we’re destroying your country.

Own up to your own brainwashing, bobo. I mean, it's almost hilarious that you are throwing stones at Christians and were one of the most brainwashed here. You are STILL brainwashed, geez

Own up to your own brainwashing, bobo. I mean, it's almost hilarious that you are throwing stones at Christians and were one of the most brainwashed here. You are STILL brainwashed, geez
I figured you republicans out a long time ago. I’m a proud Democrat not because they are great but because republicans are that bad.

I figured you republicans out a long time ago. I’m a proud Democrat not because they are great but because republicans are that bad.

But you haven't. You THINK you have, but you start threads about horrible religious brainwashing is while you are still as brainwashed as the most April 2020 Covidiot.

Forum List

Back