Zone1 The hypocrisy of saying No Purgatory! yet promoting OnceSavedAlwaysSaved

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
I think it is one of the biggest ironies/hypocrisies of the anti-Catholic Protestants to say there is NO place of purgation before a Christian is allowed entrance into Heaven

And on the other hand, teach and preach that anyone, just anyone, who believes or purports to believe in Jesus (EXCEPT Catholics!!) is automatically a shoo-in for Heaven at time of death.

Are you kidding me? Have you noticed the behavior of some "christians" on this board?

I'm not perfect either, but then again

I am not promoting this "no purgation needed for me" BS

:oops:

And yes, there are scriptures that allude to Purgatory: Mt 18:23, for one

Oh, look. The antiCatholics have no answer to this.

Can't you use scripture to debunk this?

I think it is one of the biggest ironies/hypocrisies of the anti-Catholic Protestants to say there is NO place of purgation before a Christian is allowed entrance into Heaven

And on the other hand, teach and preach that anyone, just anyone, who believes or purports to believe in Jesus (EXCEPT Catholics!!) is automatically a shoo-in for Heaven at time of death.

Are you kidding me? Have you noticed the behavior of some "christians" on this board?

I'm not perfect either, but then again

I am not promoting this "no purgation needed for me" BS

:oops:

And yes, there are scriptures that allude to Purgatory: Mt 18:23, for one
The Catholic religion is trying to rework the entire story so as to make it palatable to modern understanding. It's statement on the acceptance of Darwinian evolution, covers all the fringe beliefs of lesser importance.

It's already looking like the Protestant deviations are going to have to start playing catch up.

The Catholic religion is trying to rework the entire story so as to make it palatable to modern understanding. It's statement on the acceptance of Darwinian evolution, covers all the fringe beliefs of lesser importance.

It's already looking like the Protestant deviations are going to have to start playing catch up.

How intellectually vacuous

Ever consider that the Catholic Church is the OLDEST Christian Church in the world (THE Church Christ founded)

Therefore, if anyone is "re-working" things...

yeh... But you probably won't get that because you are wedded to an ideology

How intellectually vacuous

Ever consider that the Catholic Church is the OLDEST Christian Church in the world (THE Church Christ founded)
Yes, and they have the best chance of sweeping the table. Christ founded? No.
Therefore, if anyone is "re-working" things...
Accepting Darwinian evolution is a barnburner in any Christian language. Very progressive and most likely to succeed and leave the others floundering with trying to rework stories like living in the big fish's belly.
yeh... But you probably won't get that because you are wedded to an ideology
Atheism is the lack of a supernatural ideology.

Yes, and they have the best chance of sweeping the table. Christ founded? No.

Accepting Darwinian evolution is a barnburner in any Christian language. Very progressive and most likely to succeed and leave the others floundering with trying to rework stories like living in the big fish's belly.

Atheism is the lack of a supernatural ideology.
It is YOU who do not understand the Catholic Church's position on Darwinism.

The Church, in case u never noticed, is to decide matters pertaining to FAITH and MORALS. Whatever some individual Catholic wants to believe vis a vis how humanity got here is UP TO THEM.

It is not re-working anything, but returning to the original. As time went on, people began thinking of purification/purgatory more as a place than a process. Purification is talked about in the Bible and was standard belief in Judaism/early Christian years.

It is YOU who do not understand the Catholic Church's position on Darwinism.
I understand that D. evolution is accepted by the CC. Our 'ding' has ways of working with it that works satisfactorily for you people.
The Church, in case u never noticed, is to decide matters pertaining to FAITH and MORALS. Whatever some individual Catholic wants to believe vis a vis how humanity got here is UP TO THEM.
Exactly. The CC has granted the flock the permission to believe what it likes best.

And as I've already suggested, it has to be a winning strategy going forward witih proven science.

The Protestant deviation will almost certainly flounder and drown.

The literal fantasies in their bibles are going to be the Albatross around their necks.

It is not re-working anything, but returning to the original. As time went on, people began thinking of purification/purgatory more as a place than a process. Purification is talked about in the Bible and was standard belief in Judaism/early Christian years.
I'm all with your sect being the only survivor but we'll have to disagree on the term I prefer, being 'reworking'.

Sure! And it's past time to talk about them.

The literal belief in Noah's ark is a hot topic item for Ken Ham's aberration. What's yours?
I believe in the Ark as a true event in history.

Not that I needed evidence beyond the HISTORICAL writings of Scripture and teachings of the Church

but there IS evidence of a huge "boat" that wrecked or landed (whatever) on a mountaintop in Turkey many moons ago.

Also, a man was found alive inside a whale after he'd been there some time, happened in the 1860s, I think (Jonah)

I believe in the Ark as a true event in history.
Your faith is exceedingly strong!
Not that I needed evidence beyond the HISTORICAL writings of Scripture and teachings of the Church

but there IS evidence of a huge "boat" that wrecked or landed (whatever) on a mountaintop in Turkey many moons ago.
So strong that you will risk being laughed out of the discussion. Stay strong!
Also, a man was found alive inside a whale after he'd been there some time, happened in the 1860s, I think (Jonah)

Jonah in the 1860's?

It's not my motive to mock your beliefs. Just to bring them out as examples.

Your faith is exceedingly strong!

So strong that you will risk being laughed out of the discussion. Stay strong!

Jonah in the 1860's?

It's not my motive to mock your beliefs. Just to bring them out as examples.
No, Jonah did not happen in 1860! Thanks for insulting my intelligence

People mock the story of him being in a whale.

As if God wanted to show them it's possible(?), in the 1860s a man was found alive in the belly of a whale

No, Jonah did not happen in 1860! Thanks for insulting my intelligence

People mock the story of him being in a whale.

As if God wanted to show them it's possible(?), in the 1860s a man was found alive in the belly of a whale
The story your faith accepts includes 3 days.

I'm not interested in mocking your beliefs. They're commendable against all the odds.

well, what are you interested in?

lol
I'm interested in exposing the fact that there are millions of Americans that believe as you believe. But few who have the courage to say so.

They truly believe with their hearts (brains) that he lived for 3 days in the big fish's belly.

Can we just leave it at that now, before it becomes an issue of anger?

I'm interested in exposing the fact that there are millions of Americans that believe as you believe. But few who have the courage to say so.

They truly believe with their hearts (brains) that he lived for 3 days in the big fish's belly.

Can we just leave it at that now, before it becomes an issue of anger?
If I am not mistaken, the dude in 1860 also was there... not sure it was 3 whole days but a long time. Everyone thought he was a goner, if I recall...

James Bartley (1870–1909) is the central figure in a late nineteenth-century story according to which he was swallowed whole by a sperm whale. He was found still living days later in the stomach of the whale, which was dead from harpooning.

The story originated of an anonymous form, began to appear in American newspapers. The anonymous article appeared in the St. Louis Globe Democrat of Saint Louis, Missouri, then the note appeared in other newspapers with the title "A Modern Jonah" or something similar in multiple newspapers.[1]

The news spread beyond the ocean in articles as "Man in a Whale's Stomach. "Rescue of a Modern Jonah" in page 8 of the August 22, 1891, issue of the Yarmouth Mercury newspaper of Great Yarmouth in England.[2][3]

Story[edit]​

The story, as reported, is that during a whaling expedition off the Falkland Islands, Bartley's boat was attacked by the whale and he landed inside the whale's mouth. He survived the ordeal and was carved out of the stomach by his peers when they, not knowing he was inside, caught and began skinning the whale, because the hot weather otherwise would have rotted the whale meat. It was said that Bartley was inside the whale for 36 hours, that his skin had been bleached by the gastric juices, and that he was blind the rest of his life. In some accounts, however, he was supposed to have returned to work within three weeks. He died 18 years later and his tombstone in Gloucester says "James Bartley – a modern day Jonah."[4][5]

Forum List

Back