CDZ What Is the Downside to Christianity?

That's because this entire thread is a straw man.

You seem to be arguing that because you can't see a "downside" to Christianity, then all criticism of it is invalid. That's an asinine argument to make.

I have no problem with Christianity - I just don't want it shoved down my throat. You are welcome to believe whatever you want - but so am I, and I choose not to believe in your sky-fairy. That doesn't mean that I hate you, or any other Christians. It just means that no matter whether you see a "downside" or not, I don't believe.

Faith is not a rational act. There is no rational argument for it - that's kind of the point of faith.

I will ask, as many others have - what the fuck is your point with this thread?

Are you trying to convince non-believers to become Christians? Are you just whining that not everyone shares your beliefs?
Obviously you know the point.

No, I really don't.

Why won't you explain it? Are you trying to have a serious discussion?

It doesn't appear so.
Explain what you don’t understand.

I don't understand what point you are attempting to make.
What Is the Downside to Christianity?

What does that statement mean?

As far as I know, no one has claimed that there is a "downside" to Christianity.

Are you just fighting a straw man that you built yourself?

I have asked the question for years without a reasonable answer from non Christians.
Sure Christianity has been misused for power and control in history. But those events are lies unsupported by Scripture.

Non Christians believe the New Testament is a fabrication. But in order for there to be such an elaborate fabrication that ended up changing the course of human history there must be a motive for that fabrication.

Is the motive of Christianity to take your money? No.

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7

Is the motive of Christianity to control your life? No.
One of the thieves crucified became a believer as he hung on the cross. He did not have to go to church or do anything except believe.

Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Luke 23:42-43

Is the motive of Christianity to get you to do something? No.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9

I propose the lack of evidence of any alterer motive except that of simply believing combined with the detailing of significant personal flaws of each author and character of Scripture combined with the fulfillment of prophecies from the ages combined with the historical evidence validates the New Testament.

If I am missing something that brings the validity of the New Testament into question, state so.

The title of the thread is 'what is the downside to Christianity'- the question is what does that mean?

In your OP- you don't actually elaborate on that- you just make an argument that there is no motivation for the New Testament to be falsified- which has is a different issue.

Then you bring up the 'validity' of the New Testament at the end.

You are all over the place here- here are the three different concepts you seem to be raising:
1) What is the downside to Christianity?
2) What motivation was there to fabricate the New Testament
3) Validity of the New Testament

The content of your OP does not address the title of your OP.

So again- what is the point of your OP? I see at least three different issues listed.

No, I really don't.

It doesn't appear so.

As far as I know, no one has claimed that there is a "downside" to Christianity.

Normally in the CDZ we see content in the original post to support the title question.

It is an odd question- to me its like someone asking
"What is the downside to collecting stamps"

We can start with some easier questions, if you prefer.

Who is this thread directed at?

Are you trying to reach out to atheists and convert them?

Are you trying to convert theists of other religions?

Are you looking for a theological discussion, to compare belief systems?

You have provided no context for your question, which is the root of my (our) confusion.

No, I really don't.

It doesn't appear so.

Yeah, everyone thinks Christianity is fine.

Talk about lame strawman arguements.

You have provided no context for your question, which is the root of my (our) confusion.

Stop trying to derail the thread. If you can’t list any then move on, Mr Moderator.

Stop trying to derail the thread. If you can’t list any then move on, Mr Moderator.

Asking you to clarify your point - which you are refusing to do - is not "derailing" your thread.

There's no need to get so emotional.

Asking you to clarify your point - which you are refusing to do - is not "derailing" your thread.

6 word sentence. I don’t teach remedial 3rd grade English. Either answer the OP or I report you for trying to derail the thread.

6 word sentence. I don’t teach remedial 3rd grade English. Either answer the OP or I report you for trying to derail the thread.

:lol:

Do you really think threatening me is going to work? Report away, I haven't broken any rules. You seem to be having quite an emotional breakdown.

Are you capable of explaining your point, or not? If not, I guess there's nothing we can do about it, and I'll leave you to play with your straw-men by yourself.

If you are trying to have a serious discussion (which is the point of the CDZ), there should be no reason why you can't tell us what you're trying to discuss.

Reading the responses it is obvious there is no valid downside to Christianity. People go off on tangents about non-Biblical things people have done, non-Biblical practices, etc, but bottom line is there is nothing negative about a person being a Christian. People who hate God will thus hate Christians. They don't attack any other religion simply because it is the one true faith.

weather-----what does criticism of Christianity have to do with
"non-biblical" things. or even "biblical things"? I have read the bible----both OT and NT. I do not see much about Christianity over the past approximately 1700 years that has
much to do with EITHER. As to "hating Christians"-----who, when and where? "hate "god" ???
What you obviously fail to see is that all of the criticism is not against Christianity as you believe, but actually it is criticism of people who are not following Christianity.

OHHH thanks so much. I did not offer any specific
criticism of "Christianity"-----but whatever YOU imagine
such specific criticisms WOULD BE-----are a result of MY
"failure to see". Try to be a little specific. A simple task-----detail three of my criticisms of Christianity. Later on we
can get into your idiotic sunday school interpretations of Judaism. Lets deal with the "CHRIST KILLER LIBEL" that you and yours have used to justify the lynching of millions. That one IS an INTERESTING part of that which you call your "bible" (specifically the parts Constantine----fuhrer of the FIRST REICH----- threw in)
Since you claim to have read the bible(I have no reason to believe you have not), maybe you can explain where, in the bible, the actions you have cited are condoned. I see that as a relatively simple task. I would even accept three citations.

I have no "dog in this fight", but I cannot help but notice you seem to have a vehement "dislike" (maybe distaste would be a better term), for Christianity that borders on hatred. Instead of addressing the OP, or asking for clarification, you immediately go on the offensive, failing to articulate how your citations are, in any way, connected to Christianity. Maybe they are, I am not well enough educated on the matter to determine that. You claim to be. So, make the connection or retract your statements.

Note: Any attack on me without first making the connections/retractions, will be seen, by me, as an admission of your inability to make such connections and your lack of the humility necessary to admit you were incorrect, and will result in appropriate action on my part.

Do you really think threatening me is going to work? Report away, I haven't broken any rules. You seem to be having quite an emotional breakdown.

Are you capable of explaining your point, or not? If not, I guess there's nothing we can do about it, and I'll leave you to play with your straw-men by yourself.

If you are trying to have a serious discussion (which is the point of the CDZ), there should be no reason why you can't tell us what you're trying to discuss.
6 word question and you blather on and on about it’s meaning.

Your frustration at that 6 word question is obvious. Not because you can’t understand it, but because you can.

Let's address this first:
Can you explain to me how asking for clarification of your OP is "derailing" the thread? I really don't see it. Doesn't seem to fit. Maybe you can explain it.

Your frustration at that 6 word question is obvious. Not because you can’t understand it, but because you can.

No, I really can't - and the fact that you can't explain it to me implies that either you don't know what you're asking, either - or you're just trying to bait and troll.

Either you clarify your point, and give us an actual, contextual question you'd like to discuss - or I'll assume that you started this thread simply to troll, and I'll close this thread.

How does that work for you?

No, I really can't - and the fact that you can't explain it to me implies that either you don't know what you're asking, either - or you're just trying to bait and troll.

Either you clarify your point, and give us an actual, contextual question you'd like to discuss - or I'll assume that you started this thread simply to troll, and I'll close this thread.

How does that work for you?
Oh, now you need to threaten me. A number of people in this thread have attempted to answer that 6 word question. I asked you to articulate what your confusion is on that question and all you do is toss out questions.

State why this question confuses you or I go over your head.

Reading the responses it is obvious there is no valid downside to Christianity. People go off on tangents about non-Biblical things people have done, non-Biblical practices, etc, but bottom line is there is nothing negative about a person being a Christian. People who hate God will thus hate Christians. They don't attack any other religion simply because it is the one true faith.

"non-biblical" things. or even "biblical things"? I have read the bible----both OT and NT. I do not see much about Christianity over the past approximately 1700 years that has
much to do with EITHER. As to "hating Christians"-----who, when and where? "hate "god" ???
What you obviously fail to see is that all of the criticism is not against Christianity as you believe, but actually it is criticism of people who are not following Christianity.

"failure to see". Try to be a little specific. A simple task-----detail three of my criticisms of Christianity. Later on we
can get into your idiotic sunday school interpretations of Judaism. Lets deal with the "CHRIST KILLER LIBEL" that you and yours have used to justify the lynching of millions. That one IS an INTERESTING part of that which you call your "bible" (specifically the parts Constantine----fuhrer of the FIRST REICH----- threw in)
Since you claim to have read the bible(I have no reason to believe you have not), maybe you can explain where, in the bible, the actions you have cited are condoned. I see that as a relatively simple task. I would even accept three citations.

I have no "dog in this fight", but I cannot help but notice you seem to have a vehement "dislike" (maybe distaste would be a better term), for Christianity that borders on hatred. Instead of addressing the OP, or asking for clarification, you immediately go on the offensive, failing to articulate how your citations are, in any way, connected to Christianity. Maybe they are, I am not well enough educated on the matter to determine that. You claim to be. So, make the connection or retract your statements.

Note: Any attack on me without first making the connections/retractions, will be seen, by me, as an admission of your inability to make such connections and your lack of the humility necessary to admit you were incorrect, and will result in appropriate action on my part.

are you (old soul) addressing me? If so, can you be more specific as the "actions" I have cited being "condoned" in the NT? I have not cited specific "actions" as being "condoned" in the NT. What I HAVE cited is the "Christ killer libel" which is detailed in the NT. Do you wish to dispute that fact? I will state for clarification-----every lynching, pogrom and genocide has at its base a LIBEL
Do you wish to dispute that assertion?

are you (old soul) addressing me? If so, can you be more specific as the "actions" I have cited being "condoned" in the NT? I have not cited specific "actions" as being "condoned" in the NT. What I HAVE cited is the "Christ killer libel" which is detailed in the NT. Do you wish to dispute that fact? I will state for clarification-----every lynching, pogrom and genocide has at its base a LIBEL
Do you wish to dispute that assertion?
As I stated in the beginning Christianity has been misused.

No, I really don't.

It doesn't appear so.

Your either playing ignorance or are ignorant. Many claim the faith is to get money, to create violence, to do x y and z.

To claim no one says their is a downside to Christianity is preposterous.

Once again you can’t articulate why this simple question baffles you. So you threaten me.

Forum List

Back