CDZ What is a "high capacity" gun magazine...how many bullets?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by 2aguy, Dec 3, 2017.

1. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,563
    This term comes up often in gun control debates...."high capacity" magazines. I submit that most people who hear that term think 100 round drum magazines, like the one used by the Colorado theater shooter...which ended up malfunctioning the rifle, saving lives....as people ran out while he tried to clear the jam. He then went to his pistol....having emptied his shotgun previously.....

So normal, uninformed Americans when they hear "high capacity" magazines think 100 round magazines. Those who push gun control.......use that term "high capacity" and then use it to push to get 30 round, standard magazines banned, using the ignorance of the uninformed Americans to push those bans.

So....what really is a "high capacity" magazine?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,875
    A gun with enough magazine capacity to hold the rounds you need plus a short joint?

Or maybe a scary "assault" rifle with a roach clip mounted instead of a bayonet?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,778
    My experience is that anything over 20 feeds poorly and tends to jam. I oppose any laws on capacity, but my personal experience is that 20 round magazines work better in AR-15 and Mini 14 rifles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,563
    I will wait patiently for the USMB anti gun posters to post on this topic.....

5. pismoe

pismoe Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,546
    seems to me that 20 rounds in an AR is optimal but all capacity mags should be available for sale and use .

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,563

Yes....this is why the anti gunners use the bait and switch...they talk about 100 round drum magazines as High Capacity....and then they pass legislation for anything over 10 rounds....using the uninformed voters to give them the votes....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592
    Personally I think we need a group of people who like guns, have practical experience with them and have a law enforcement background to set up regulations which make sense. Otherwise you end up with the 90's era assault weapon ban which seemed to mostly have been good for raising ammunition prices and selling old stock or some reactionary ban which does not practically matter.

Far as where to set the line for "high capacity. I dunno if there is an exact place to draw a line. What's a long pass in the NFL?

What was the WWII era M1's capacity? We sent boys into battle with those. Perhaps we can start there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. pismoe

pismoe Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,546
    feck special categories of people like 'police' and military setting up LAWS that the citizens and taxpayers that employ these civil servant and assumed experts have to follow . You don't mind being a Subject or designated peasant eh Toronado ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592
    Yup, I don't mind living in a country with some form of gun control.

On the far end, the founding fathers never wrote squat about me not being able to buy an armed and loaded Apache. Yet we have these laws limiting my freedom.

This is not a rhetorical question. It will give me a benchmark for your point of view which if you are honest, you can defend. Do you think I should be able to buy the Apache?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. pismoe

pismoe Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,546
    • Agree Agree x 1