What have you done?!

I once lived in a remote cabin with no running water or electricity for almost three years.

Yes. We know. You lived in Alaska.

I don't think the idea of this thread is for people to post things they've done and then for other posters to belittle them for it or mock them for it.

It's not I "lived" in Alaska, past tense. I "live" in Alaska...present tense. And not everyone who lives in Alaska has lived in a remote cabin with no running water or electricity for almost three years, I can assure you of that.

I once lived in a remote cabin with no running water or electricity for almost three years.

--- says the Canadian :rofl:

That is impressive though.

Does make me wonder... if there's no electricity... how do you know it was three years? That's a lot of hash marks on the wall. :cool:

Batteries. Wristwatches. Calendars on the wall? We were able to get to town once in a while, also...to get supplies, etc.

Sarah Palin posts at USMB!

Awesome.

Okay, that pisses me off, Toro! I am NOT Sarah Palin, and like a lot of Alaskans I despise Sarah Palin!

You know how you can tell I'm not Sarah Palin? She wouldn't have felt bad at all about killing the moose. Instead of crying, she would have been giggling.

I think you should apologize to me, that was a low blow!

[youtube]eYxn2vlhtWo[/youtube]

ROFL. I remember that.

I don't think the idea of this thread is for people to post things they've done and then for other posters to belittle them for it or mock them for it.

Actually Iceweasel was the one who took us down that path.

But you're right, the thread is about what you've done -- not what everybody else has done. And it's a worthy idea that shouldn't be spoilt.

Koosh...you are a nice lady. I would have cried too. But if that animal fed 3 families...it didn't die for nothing.

And, you don't have to explain yourself either.:smiliehug:

And most adults can control theirs and aren't hyperbole addicts.

I think you need to go look up the definition of hyperbole. There was no hyperbole here.

Alaskans elected Sarah Palin as their governor. She then quit half way through her term because she got a better offer. She then went on to ruin John McCain's chances of getting elected president. To say that we despise her is not hyperbole. There's no exaggeration involved, Unkotare.

Oh, while you're at it...look up the definition of "despise." To dislike intensely. So...what's the big deal about that? (someone must be a Sarah Palin fan)

The other poster was right, you are acting like a 12 year-old. Have you had extensive personal interaction with Governor Palin?

Actually Iceweasel was the one who took us down that path.

But you're right, the thread is about what you've done -- not what everybody else has done. And it's a worthy idea that shouldn't be spoilt.

Actually, even before that, it was KG who ridiculed me about moving around so much and called me a hooker because I'd moved so many times. She also ridiculed me about working with a sheika and a princess. So the first person who took shit in this thread about what they'd done in life was me, and the poster who ridiculed me was KG.

I have traveled in at least 35 countries, many of them more than once. I've lived and worked in five different countries, plus the US. I've hitchhiked across the US at 19. I've been to Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Asia Minor and Europe. In 45 years I've lived in more than 45 different homes/houses, apartments. Something about a rolling stone.

Or a hooker.

I'm curious...what exactly did you teach the sheik's daughters?

Ugly minded people will take anything, even things which for other people are light hearted and positive, and make them ugly because of the very nature of the ugly, mean spirited minds such people have. Those are the people, here on this board and throughout human history, who create all the negativity and conflict in this world.

Last edited:
Some people just have to take a dump everywhere, hon. Best thing to do is stay a loner and avoid toxic people the best ya can.

I hiked up one of the 3 Sisters in Oregon. But didn't climb up the final peak. It was an almost full day hike up it and a couple of hours back down. We were not 'climbers' with the proper gear and so on to climb the final peak, another 2-3 hours it would have been. And we needed to get back down before dark.

280px-Three_sisters2.jpg

I cross country skied around Crater Lake in Oregon, again not all the way around as that would take several days. But it was an all day ski just doing part of it.

crater-lake-oregon-scenic-snow-scape-23536489.jpg

Last edited:
I have walked in the Lower Alps, the Lake District in England, along the Irish Sea in Ireland, in Cornwall along the sea, in the Cotswalds, in the country side along the Thames near London, hiked in Turkey, and gone jogging in the Black Forest. (In my 50s)

I've run a marathon. (in my late 30s)

I have hitch hiked from Portland, Oregon to Vancouver BC and down to Southern California, then from Southern California to NY and back to Portland, in one summer. One night I slept under a picnic table (it was raining lightly) in a cliff top meadow over looking the Pacific Ocean in Northern California. We shared the meadow with a small flock of sheep. (I was 19)

Last edited:
And most adults can control theirs and aren't hyperbole addicts.

I think you need to go look up the definition of hyperbole. There was no hyperbole here.

Alaskans elected Sarah Palin as their governor. She then quit half way through her term because she got a better offer. She then went on to ruin John McCain's chances of getting elected president. To say that we despise her is not hyperbole. There's no exaggeration involved, Unkotare.c

Oh, while you're at it...look up the definition of "despise." To dislike intensely. So...what's the big deal about that? (someone must be a Sarah Palin fan)

The other poster was right, you are acting like a 12 year-old. Have you had extensive personal interaction with Governor Palin?

This thread is not about ridiculing people for what they have accomplished in life. As the OP, you should be chastising people who do that, not supporting them.

It's supposed to be a fun thread and has been. As the OP, I agree Unk should not insult those who are making his thread as popular as it is. Nobody will want to play if they are berated for what they came here to share about IN fun.

Asking for an apology is the behavior of a 12-year-old? Apparently you just don't understand what an insult it is to be compared to Sarah Palin. That's okay, but before you start insulting a fellow poster you should at least try to understand where they're coming from.
You need to read the rest of the comments, not just the ones that made it past your filter. It was an honest question given the mentality. There is no age requirement here that I know of. If it sounds like a 12 yo, it's very possible that it is.

I hitchhiked through the UK. It was great. On the main motorways, I didn't have to wait for more than five minutes. In fact, I was at a convenience station after being dropped off, buying some food, and some guy came up and asked if I wanted a ride anywhere.

That was 1990. I don't know if people still hitchhike today, but it was one of the highlights of my trip backpacking through Europe.

Last edited:
I hitchhiked through the UK. It was great. On the main motorways, I didn't have to wait for more than five minutes. In fact, I was at a convenience station after being dropped off, buying some food, and some guy came up and asked if I wanted a ride anywhere.

That was 1990. I don't know if people still hitchhike today, but it was one of the highlights of my trip backpacking through Europe.
The last time I was in England was 2009, and I didn't see anyone walking along the motorways.

But I did notice that the farther north in England, the better the fish 'n' chips. Weird.

The last time I was in England was 2009, and I didn't see anyone walking along the motorways.

But I did notice that the farther north in England, the better the fish 'n' chips. Weird.

It was, and I imagine still is, illegal to hitchhike on the motorways. So the way around it was to thumb a ride on the off-ramps. When I was on the off-ramps once, the police told me not to, so I went off for two minutes, went back on after they left, and was picked up within a few minutes.

I have walked in the Lower Alps, the Lake District in England, along the Irish Sea in Ireland, in Cornwall along the sea, in the Cotswalds, in the country side along the Thames near London, hiked in Turkey, and gone jogging in the Black Forest. (In my 50s)

I've run a marathon. (in my late 30s)

I have hitch hiked from Portland, Oregon to Vancouver BC and down to Southern California, then from Southern California to NY and back to Portland, in one summer. One night I slept under a picnic table (it was raining lightly) in a cliff top meadow over looking the Pacific Ocean in Northern California. We shared the meadow with a small flock of sheep. (I was 19)

Sounds ambitious and lovely. Like the backdrop for a romance novel. or a girlie flick.

I say that with interest, admiration and a slight bit of envy.

:)

Forum List

Back