What have you done?!

I hitchhiked through the UK. It was great. On the main motorways, I didn't have to wait for more than five minutes. In fact, I was at a convenience station after being dropped off, buying some food, and some guy came up and asked if I wanted a ride anywhere.

That was 1990. I don't know if people still hitchhike today, but it was one of the highlights of my trip backpacking through Europe.

One summer I backpacked around the UK, but used a British Rail Pass. Too old (53) to hitchhike. I started in London and made a big clockwise circle to Bath, , Plymouth, Cornwall, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Yorkshire, the Lake District, The Cotswalds, and back to London. Just me, my backpack and my guide book. :) Not bad for an old lady.

Last edited:
I hitchhiked through the UK. It was great. On the main motorways, I didn't have to wait for more than five minutes. In fact, I was at a convenience station after being dropped off, buying some food, and some guy came up and asked if I wanted a ride anywhere.

That was 1990. I don't know if people still hitchhike today, but it was one of the highlights of my trip backpacking through Europe.

One summer I backpacked around the UK, but used a British Rail Pass. Too old (53) to hitchhike. I started in London and made a big clockwise circle to Bath, , Plymouth, Cornwall, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Yorkshire, the Lake District, The Cotswalds, and back to London. Just me, my backpack and my guide book. :) Not bad for an old lady.

I did a motorcycle tour of the south coast starting at weston super mare, then down to lands end in Cornwall in one afternoon. Then a leisurely ride back up the south coast to dover. I stayed overnight at various bed and breakfast places on the way.

I did a motorcycle tour of the south coast starting at weston super mare, then down to lands end in Cornwall in one afternoon. Then a leisurely ride back up the south coast to dover. I stayed overnight at various bed and breakfast places on the way.
I stayed at B & Bs too. In London, I stayed in a quad dorm at one of the colleges. It was only 25£ a night, with a full buffet breakfast in the cafeteria, and I was the only one in the quad, so had it all to myself. I also stayed in dorms in Edinburgh and Durham and in Birmingham I stayed in a hotel. All the rest were B and Bs.

Last edited:
Four tours of N. Ireland.

I've been deported from a country.

I've unearthed Roman coins.

I've pushed down on the detonator on a building implosion.

I drank a Hieniken sitting on the paw of the Sphinx in Giza. Join the Navy and see the world.

I have ridden a motorcycle at 120 miles per hour, in fact I did it every day on the way to work. That is until my second speeding ticket. But I expect there are others here who have driven faster.

Rather than checking off a list, what about this?

What have you done that you believe no one else on this forum has ever done? One point for each thing you post that no one else here can also claim to have done (honor system).

Fought forest fires in Montana and California.

I have rode the steepest cog railroad in the world, up Mount Rigi in Switzerland. I also got to play an alpine horn while on a dinner cruise on Lake Luzern.

I passed out on the top of Mt. Fuji (wicked hangover).

No, on foot or in 4x4s. I had a Sterling Mk4 slung over my shoulder most of the time, too.

The M4 was a while back, wasn't it?

Last issued in the early '90s. Your point being?

Oh, no point. Just asking.

free-stock-photo-882-elderly-walking-cane-old-man-senior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last issued in the early '90s. Your point being?

Oh, no point. Just asking.

free-stock-photo-882-elderly-walking-cane-old-man-senior.jpg

So you're implying that he's old. The fact that you're pointing it out makes it sound like you think he's inferior because he's old. But I'm sure we're misinterpreting you, surely you don't think that. :doubt:

Regardless of whether he thinks I'm old/elderly (or not), I'm assuming his reasoning is rooted in mistaking the weapon I mention for something else, possibly the M14, as opposed to the Sterling Mk4 (not a '1', but a 'k'), which is what I was issued in N. Ireland.

To avoid any further confusion (either over weapon or my supposed age), here's a Sterling Mk4 in the flesh:

deactivated-sterling-mk4-l2a3-submachine-gun-9mm-sliding-cocking-handle.-306-p.jpg

Forum List

Back