True or False: Internet Trolls are Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sad

Is the description of trolls in the title true or false?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • More true than false

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • More false than true

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Internet troll personality study: Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism.

Climate desk? That makes no sense.

The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

It is hard to underplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior. What’s more, it also found a relationship between all Dark Tetrad traits (except for narcissism) and the overall time that an individual spent, per day, commenting on the Internet.

In the study, trolls were identified in a variety of ways. One was by simply asking survey participants what they “enjoyed doing most” when on online comment sites, offering five options: “debating issues that are important to you,” “chatting with others,” “making new friends,” “trolling others,” and “other.” Here’s how different responses about these Internet commenting preferences matched up with responses to questions designed to identify Dark Tetrad traits:

The article itself costs money of course.

Trolls just want to have fun

I personally know at least one person who admitted that yes they troll, they love to troll, and they are not at all who they represent as on the internet. So I'm not sure how much I believe the conclusions the article reached, and I can't investigate further without shelling out some money.

Disclaimer: Obviously, there's a huge difference between "equal but opposite," those on the other side of the aisle who holds their truths just as fiercely as I hold mine, and actual trolls.

Internet troll personality study: Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism.

The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

It is hard to underplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior. What’s more, it also found a relationship between all Dark Tetrad traits (except for narcissism) and the overall time that an individual spent, per day, commenting on the Internet.

In the study, trolls were identified in a variety of ways. One was by simply asking survey participants what they “enjoyed doing most” when on online comment sites, offering five options: “debating issues that are important to you,” “chatting with others,” “making new friends,” “trolling others,” and “other.” Here’s how different responses about these Internet commenting preferences matched up with responses to questions designed to identify Dark Tetrad traits:

I personally know at least one person who admitted that yes they troll, they love to troll, and they are not at all who they represent as on the internet. So I'm not sure how much I believe the conclusions the article reached, and I can't investigate further without shelling out some money.

Disclaimer: Obviously, there's a huge difference between "equal but opposite," those on the other side of the aisle who holds their truths just as fiercely as I hold mine, and actual trolls.

I'm waiting for an all encompassing, universally agreed upon definition of trolling.

I've been sometimes accused of it but I disagree that i am a troll.

What's the definition they used?

Without that the study means little.

I think most are bored people, some have issues. Truthmatters I believe is truly mentally unstable.

Like many terms, the accuracy of such a question or statement depends a lot on whether the person being referred to as a troll actually is. Just because someone passionately disagrees with us doesn't mean their doing so reveals them as a troll.

I believe there is some truth to it. I don't think alot of people fall into this category but I'm sure there are some out there. ( in cyber space )

I suspect that's a fairly accurate personality profile of trolls.

I think the emphasis on SADISM needs to be amplified though.

Why?

Because in my opinion a real troll does not CARE about the issues, only scoring points against his fellow posters.

And its that causing emotional social pain in fellow posters that separates the merely obsessed, stupid and rude from the TROLL.

That is interesting, Editec! You say sadism needs to be amplified. I would say narcissistic personality should be amplified. I've found that narcissistic personalities are full of wrath and misery and the clever ones have others doing their dirty work for them. One telling sign is the slightest inconvenience in their life and they are looking to make someone pay for it and if they have an audience all the better... Sympathy is their drug.... they live off of it the way a parasite lives off the human body. It's all about them. Anything that gets in the way of that or threatens to expose them is going to become a target. Anything that stands in the way of what they want control over - is going to become a target. Its pretty much the personality of a sociopath ( defining behavior of the troll ) in my opinion. Or at least very similar!

Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic

Did you sign the HIPAA Compliance form before looking at my chart?

Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic

Did you sign the HIPAA Compliance form before looking at my chart?

Erm .... sure?

:eusa_shhh:

I want to add I voted Mostly True because there are cases of people who make up other screen names names, etc over some arguement with another individual. I would never classify that person in the same category as the defining of troll here. Their issue is most likely an isolated case and they will eventually get over it. ( hopefully! )

Good thread. Generally non-threatening conversation.

At least a half dozen folks I have known immediately came to mind when reading the comment that narcissists will not be inconvenienced without punishing the person they think is the offender.

Forum List

Back