What exactly does the "Left" want?

Twofox

Aug 19, 2010
There are all kinds of arguements going on about his, but I really want to know what the "Left" really wants to see happen. What do you want to see the gov't do? Can someone please lay this out for me?

Last edited:
Buller?

This isn't some kind of trap post. I honestly want to know what the left want. Curiosity, nothing else.

They want the same ting as they right wants. What they want not what the other side wants.
The issue is not as important as opposing the other side.
But in the end we all want what we want.

Well, I can't speak for the whole of the left. Here are a few things I'd like to see:

1. An end to the war in Afghanistan and bringing our troops home from the Middle East.
2. A payroll tax holiday.
3. Ending the Bush tax cuts in a measured manner, starting with the estate tax and the highest marginal rates and working down to the base rates over a period of a couple years.
4. Ending the process by which natural gas explorers are granted approval for exploration and fraccing by including such exploration in the Clean Water act.
5. Changing the tax structure so that earned and unearned income are treated more equitably.

That's a brief start....

Even though I'm not a reg'd Democrat, I'd like to see the following:

1) A single payer health care system or at the very least a robust public option.

2) Removal of all combat troops from the middle east

3) Scaled down down military spending and presence worldwide.

4) True equal rights for all citizens of this country (ie. legalize gay marriage)

There are all kinds of arguements going on about his, but I really want to know what the "Left" really wants to see happen. What do you want to see the gov't do? Can someone please lay this out for me?

We want you to STFU. Think that could be arranged? How about YOU telling us what YOU want, huh? I'm not jumping hoops for some one that's THAT lazy!

RDD raises a couple other good points. You can add single-payer health care and equal marriage rights to my list.

Oh, and abolishing the ability of states or the federal government to kill their own citizens for the purposes of "justice".

Yep. Gay marriage.... there's something that will make us great.
Let's add doggie and kitty marriage to the list. And popsicles for all!!!!

We want you to STFU. Think that could be arranged? How about YOU telling us what YOU want, huh? I'm not jumping hoops for some one that's THAT lazy!

And let's add getting this asshat back on his meds to the list.

I would like to repeal Corporations' unlimited access to the election media procees. I would also like to end farm subsidies for corn, soybeans and wheat. I would like for big agra to be stringently regulated. No more genetically moderated food or fish and the company will HAVE to tell you exactly which grocery store they sold their recalled biohazards to. I would really like to see a national drive to come up with energy options other than oil. We need to legalize hemp and put it to use - tax it, regulate it, whatever. We need a serious non-profit public option for health insurance. That industry can morph into a supplemental / boutique insurance provider. I would also like to see gay marriage legal.

I would like to repeal Corporations' unlimited access to the election media procees. I would also like to end farm subsidies for corn, soybeans and wheat. I would like for big agra to be stringently regulated. No more genetically moderated food or fish and the company will HAVE to tell you exactly which grocery store they sold their recalled biohazards to. I would really like to see a national drive to come up with energy options other than oil. We need to legalize hemp and put it to use - tax it, regulate it, whatever. We need a serious non-profit public option for health insurance. That industry can morph into a supplemental / boutique insurance provider. I would also like to see gay marriage legal.

Hey Moonbeam, what about World Peace?

This is the problem... the left is all about wants... AKA what they want from the government or at the expense of others...

It's not about equal treatment by government.. it is about equal treatment when it benefits them and their voter base, and unequal treatment for others when it benefits them and their voter base...

And let's add getting this asshat back on his meds to the list.

I wasn't even going to dignify that with a response, but that's a good one!

I think the question is more geared to "end game." From that perspective you have to see what "the left" sees as the worlds primary issues, and thier responses to said issues. Please before you repsond (I DONT BELEIVE THAT) remember I am going with the proto-typical viewpoints of someone who would be considered "leftist"

To a leftist the world is a place of inequalities, economic, social, power, etc. To correct these inequalities one needs a structure such as the goverment to force those at the high end of the these inequalties to stop doing what perpetuates the inequalities. So the wealthy need to share it, People with restrictive moral beliefs need to give them up, and people with excessive power need to be brought down to "the rest of us." The specific issues that can be seen as "leftist" can be boiled down to this basic premise.

For example, a leftist as described above would see a rich person as someone who benefits from economic inequality. In their opinion, the excess of wealth is probably undeserved, and should be shared with the general public for the greater good. As this person is believed by the leftist to be selfish, they need to be forced to spread thier wealth around to the public (i.e taxation)

There are other examples, but it all ends up with inequalities, and using goverment to fix them.

This is the problem... the left is all about wants... AKA what they want from the government or at the expense of others...

It's not about equal treatment by government.. it is about equal treatment when it benefits them and their voter base, and unequal treatment for others when it benefits them and their voter base...

The left only want things that benefits themselves?

How am I for legalizing gay marriage then? Since I am straight and legalizing doesn't benefit me in the least bit. Explain that.

How does bringing home the troops benefit me? I don't personally know any active duty troops so bringing the troops home doesn't do a single thing for me personally.

Guess that sorta kills your whole premise that "the left" only want things that benefit themselves personally.

For example, a leftist as described above would see a rich person as someone who benefits from economic inequality. In their opinion, the excess of wealth is probably undeserved, and should be shared with the general public for the greater good. As this person is believed by the leftist to be selfish, they need to be forced to spread thier wealth around to the public (i.e taxation)

There are other examples, but it all ends up with inequalities, and using goverment to fix them.
Right...But the thinly veiled covetousness and greed of the leftist is never ever called into question, as he cowers behind the vague rubric of "the greater good".

Forum List

Back